Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: I think Tony WAS hinting at an Oz attraction coming to Disneyland. I'm all for this because the land of Oz is such an enduring classic. Even Uncle Walt once considered doing something with Oz at Disneyland--on a small scale, of course. Still, I think Oz deserves to take its place along side Wonderland & Never Land.
    I whole heatedly agree, Witches! Disney and Oz together! It's like a dream come true for this Oz loving Disney Nerd!
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

As far as opportunity for a fantastic immersive environment and ride possibilities, I think Oz has more to offer than The Lone Ranger. I love Westerns and would love to see Frontierland expanded. Even so, I think Oz has more to offer and I have no doubt they are looking into possibilities, probably along with possibilities for The Lone Ranger. The plot for that film seems to revolve around the Continental Railroad, which might make it challenging to come up with a ride. But, I love steam trains, so I'd be interesting to see what they came up with! Some of the special effects and stunt work with the trains for The Lone Ranger was done right up the road from where I live, in a parking lot of the Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, CA, so I got to see the impressive setup they had for that. As far as Oz's 1905 time period, in some more rural parts of the country, the "West" was still hanging on. It could fit ok in the ranch area. Doesn't the musical "Oklahoma" actually take place at the turn of the century?

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Tony is doing what Tony does best: stirring the pot. He's retired now and, unfortunately, does not have much direct input.
    Couldn't agree more!

One of my favorite quotes the Walt Disney Co. has made famous, that everyone needs to keep in mind:

All information is subject to change without notice.

• Minion

A little strange that this was a response to a star wars attraction, but I do think/hope this was a hint to an Oz attraction. Just seems a little strange that he said Great and powerful and not just great. But just because a movie does somewhat well (box office wise and critical) it doesn't mean it will get some big attraction. Remember Narnia? All it got was basically a prop/costume display in DHS (which was recently removed.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Er– I'd say third highest March opening of all time is a kind of significant, especially when the other two were Alice and Hunger Games (both are considered capitol S Successes). It's currently sitting at $168 million worldwide after only one week. It's big. Perhaps not Star Wars or Avengers big, but certainly enough to grab Disney's attention.

And yes, as chesirecat said, I don't think it's coincidence that Baxter has been working on an Oz related project and he uses the phrase "Great and Powerful" in reference to upcoming projects. Obviously nothing's been confirmed yet, but the strong box office for Oz is definitely spells good news for this project.

Westerns generally take place in the second half of the 19th century, so it's not a huge stretch to have a transitionary piece of the land set slightly later in time. Either way, it'd make or more interesting transition than the backstage gates they have their now.
    I was just saying it not like Avengers or Star Wars...where everyone LIKES it..many reviews said it was ok..or more of a movie for your kid at heart

I'm sure it's a fine movie but worth building a subland/E ticket considering it;s not being called a instant classic

From what I've read and been told by theater managers, the percentage a theater keeps is fluid. It also tends to change as the movie stays out. For example, a studio may command 80% of ticket sales opening week, and as the weeks go on, the theater keeps a higher percentage. In some cases, the theater keeps 0% of the early grosses. So we really have no idea how much of the box offices grosses Disney keeps.

Either way, this film is a bona fide success. Between grosses, merch, Blu Ray, DVD, and international grosses of the same, the film will do great. This is why a sequel is already in the works.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Tony is doing what Tony does best: stirring the pot. He's retired now and, unfortunately, does not have much direct input.
    Agreed. People seem to forget that Tony rather unceremoniously became an "advisor" who can only be contacted via people who would not be counted among his fans.

• Minion

If or when it comes, I just hope it's not a whole land. I could see them using a trackers system for the ride...maybe made to look like hot air balloon baskets

• Galactic Member

Does this mean we are getting Oz and Star Wars?
    Galactic Member

• Artistic integrity

Lets also not forget .... When it comes to the big scale attractions ... they take 5 years. From inception to grand opening.

Even if Oz and Star Wars attractions are being developed, I wouldn't count on seeing them for quite a while!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I think what people are missing here is the knowledge that Oz plans have been kicking around for a while already based off this movie. It's no longer a case of starting from scratch, but green lighting plans in hand. Presumably they were waiting for the movie to fail or succeed. Since Oz is obviously a success that makes things all the more likely to start, and start sooner than later. I think the fact the Ironman attraction is now off the table for a third park this seems all the more plausible.

One way or another, Disney must be aiming for a D23 announcement. That announcement either will be for frontier land, tomorrow land or maybe both based on the plans that have been constantly mentioned.

Oz Will make a beautiful addition. Similar to Carsland it can prove a ok movie but an amazing theme park land.

• Insomniac

I remember when TRON attractions were "a sure thing"... Food for thought.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I remember when TRON attractions were "a sure thing"... Food for thought.
    Technically, a TRON attraction was never a "sure thing" for Disneyland. It is very much a "sure thing" for another park, however.

• film975

Nothing is ever a sure thing at any Disney park. That's part of the fun of it. Things can change at any given moment and Walt Disney himself said that Disneyland will never be completed. I have no doubt there are tons of ideas that Imagineers explore for possible attractions at their magic kingdoms all over the world. It would be fun if Disney opened up an exhibit at the Blue Sky Cellar showing off the ideas that never came to fruition. That could also be a fun exhibit at a future D23 Expo.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Technically, a TRON attraction was never a "sure thing" for Disneyland. It is very much a "sure thing" for another park, however.
    We heard both Tron...then Ironman to be a sure thing for Disneyland...then both projects fell through
    But I'll put my money on an Ironman attraction before an OZ attraction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast