Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Insomniac

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Technically, a TRON attraction was never a "sure thing" for Disneyland. It is very much a "sure thing" for another park, however.
    Exactly! There is no such thing as a sure thing unless ground has been broken for it (even then it can be cancelled or changed). Even if WDI has plans for an Oz land, it doesn't mean it will be built. Discovery Bay was supposed to happen, Edison Square was going to happen, and TRON coaster was going to happen, but none did. All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up unless the movie does crazy money like Alice/ Avengers (which it doesn't appear it will).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    Oz Will make a beautiful addition. Similar to Carsland it can prove a ok movie but an amazing theme park land.
    Oz is one movie. Cars is a multi-film brand with years of monster merchandise sales that dominates the lucrative boy demographic. There is no similarity to a corporation that still follows Eisner's dictate, "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides" -- movies that have spawned proven money-making franchises, that is.

In Walt's day, a box office disappointment like Alice in Wonderland was the inspiration for a Disneyland attraction, while a box office hit like Cinderella was not. The reason is that Walt's Disney Company saw Disneyland as its own brand -- its own experience. Movies were used only as inspiration, and only in a minority of Disneyland's attractions. In contrast, Eisger's Disney Corporation sees Disneyland as a marketing platform. They greenlight no attraction unless it promotes an already-successful brand. The fact that the story and imagery of the new Oz film could inspire an excellent Disneyland attraction is irrelevant to their business model.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

OZ sounds good to me. Cowboys are not as popular as in the 50's so eating away frontierland space is fine. Frrontierland can be expanded by filling in the pond and removing the old riverside mountain with big thunder falls.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    I think what people are missing here is the knowledge that Oz plans have been kicking around for a while already based off this movie. It's no longer a case of starting from scratch, but green lighting plans in hand. Presumably they were waiting for the movie to fail or succeed. Since Oz is obviously a success that makes things all the more likely to start, and start sooner than later. I think the fact the Ironman attraction is now off the table for a third park this seems all the more plausible.

One way or another, Disney must be aiming for a D23 announcement. That announcement either will be for frontier land, tomorrow land or maybe both based on the plans that have been constantly mentioned.

Oz Will make a beautiful addition. Similar to Carsland it can prove a ok movie but an amazing theme park land.
    They're going to need SOMETHING for D23 Expo. I don't believe that they have anything in the works that they (Parks & Resorts) will have to display. They've already done MK Fantasyland. Shanghai has been announced, but I understand that everything relating to that project has moved to Shanghai. DL's Fantasy Faire VIllage has already opened and its model displayed at the Blue Sky Cellar.

Doesn't leave much for us to see in the parks department.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

-
    I think folks are reading too much into what he said.
    Just my take on it ....

I find it humorous that some people are talking about whether Oz is a fad as if everybody's introduction to the wonderful world of Oz is the recent movie and that nobody has any recollection of the 15 volumes of L. Frank Baum's books nor the 1939 movie nor, one could argue (although probably less so), Disney's own "Return to Oz." Oz is as endurable as Wonderland or Never Land regardless of how "Oz The Great and Powerful" does. It deserves a home at Disneyland. Whether in Frontierland or Fantasyland is a different story (I'm of the Fantasyland argument...it doesn't make sense in Frontierland).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MSVRider View Post
    I find it humorous that some people are talking about whether Oz is a fad as if everybody's introduction to the wonderful world of Oz is the recent movie and that nobody has any recollection of the 15 volumes of L. Frank Baum's books nor the 1939 movie nor, one could argue (although probably less so), Disney's own "Return to Oz." Oz is as endurable as Wonderland or Never Land regardless of how "Oz The Great and Powerful" does. It deserves a home at Disneyland. Whether in Frontierland or Fantasyland is a different story (I'm of the Fantasyland argument...it doesn't make sense in Frontierland).
    THANK YOU! OZ would be genius to bring into the park!!! It appeals to so many people and it's timeless!
    Jeff Wayne

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

I'd LOVE to see the Wizard of Oz in the parks. Especially a ride in the form of Peter Pan, where you're flying above different worlds. However, I'm not for the ride being a direct take off of Great and Powerful, since in my opinion, the movie was incredibly lame. I laughed throughout. However, a Wizard of Oz inspired ride would be neat to see. Where in the park? Not a clue.

• Disney Obsessed

a little but.. a sequel? isn't the "sequel" the 1939 film?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by CSei2011 View Post
    a little but.. a sequel? isn't the "sequel" the 1939 film?
    Without getting into spoilers, there's a large enough narrative gap between the two to fit another film, theoretically. My problem is that so far Raimi seems uninterested in doing another Oz film, and without Raimi I'm not particularly interested in seeing another one either.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Westerns generally take place in the second half of the 19th century, so it's not a huge stretch to have a transitionary piece of the land set slightly later in time.
    If a time period is set for the land, then that is when the land is supposed to take place. If they make one exception that pushes the boundary of the land, then it will be an excuse to make another one. And another one. And another one. Before you know it there will be nothing special to distinguish the land from every other area of the park. It is called a theme park for a reason.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

ORDDU: Even Uncle Walt wanted to include the Land of Oz in Storybook land so it's not hard to believe he would approve of a full blown attraction based on Oz at Disneyland after all these years. It would seem to be a perfect fit.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    THANK YOU! OZ would be genius to bring into the park!!! It appeals to so many people and it's timeless!
    Oz is timeless this new movie is not the books or the movie...this is a "fun" kid film that while not bad....is not something we NEED in the parks unless they have ROOM to bring Oz to life the right way

This is why Disney needs to make a third park made for Marvel, Star Wars, Oz and other Big names that we want to see int he parks more but really don't have the room to bring them to life the right way.

Imagine if they made a WHOLE inside land called Oz where there were shops, restaurants, some kids rides and a Big E ticket ride...much better then making some D ticket ride smushed into Disneyland

• Minion

ORWEN: I'll be happy for whatever we can get that has to do with Oz. While a whole land would be best of all, I'll welcome an Oz attraction, too.

• Artistic integrity

Like all the "Marvel" and "Star Wars" fans arguments .... In order to do an "Oz" section justice ... they need to have the room.

It's just non existent in Disneyland. It was one thing for Walt to want to do something "Oz" when it was 1956 ... and there was room to add stuff. Not the case now - in 2013!

Meanwhile .... over in a block of land just across the street from Garden Walk......
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast