Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park?

I follow Disneyland Live on Twitter, and they have been live tweeting from the panel. As guests were asking questions, this one popped up with a pretty strange answer..

https://twitter.com/DlandNewsLive/st...89639967219712

Thoughts?

• Banned User

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I follow Disneyland Live on Twitter, and they have been live tweeting from the panel. As guests were asking questions, this one popped up with a pretty strange answer..

https://twitter.com/DlandNewsLive/st...89639967219712

Thoughts?
    Tony Baxter has been hinting for a while that an Oz ride might be coming to Disneyland depending on box office receipts. It looks like Oz will make a profit (once you factor in DVD sales, on Demand, merchandise), and the film was *a lot* better than the reviewers had made it out to be, so I see a sequel and something happening in the parks.

I think a possible layout for the ride would be:

1. Exterior queue in Big Thunder ranch area, made to look like Kansas/Iowa farm hosting a state fair.
    2. Enter view a Circus tent and board a "hot air balloon", really just the bottom bucket with 1/8 of a fake balloon above you.
    3. Fly over midwest (perhaps in black and white), and then in scene 2 hit the tornado, recreated with special effects.
    4. Then Oz scenes, Wicked Witch, munchins.
    5. Return to Kansas, Iowa . . .

I'm thinking a showbuilding as big as the one for Small World and Kuka-type robots attached to the hot air balloon buckets.

No matter what you thought about the film, I think the ride could be a winner as almost everybody recognizes the world of Oz, even if you haven't seen the latest film. The Wizard of Oz scene in the Great Movie Ride is a high point of the attraction, soaring through even bigger/more sets would be awesome.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-14-2013 at 07:20 PM.

• Filmmaker

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

I would love to see Tony Baxter's take on Oz… just not there. I've been discussing this with some folks on Twitter, and I really don't want to see Frontierland which is already severely lacking in attractions get annexed by Fantasyland.

Who knows if The Lone Ranger will be any good, but when it comes down to theming, I'd rather see The Lone Ranger move in back there rather than Oz (and I liked the movie quite a bit).

That being said, going from 1905 Kansas to Oz would make a really great transition between the two lands, I just want enough of The Old West remaining back there to make the transition effective. If they split the space in half, giving Oz the east side and The Lone Ranger (or other miscellaneous western property) the west side, I'd be okay with that.

• Minion

Although Oz sounds interesting and aesthetically it would look good, I'm more interested in The Lone Ranger. I guess we'll gave to wait and see.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Artistic integrity

"There's all kinds of 'Great and Powerful' things happening"

He could have also used it as a metaphor for something entirely different, too.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Tron for Disneyland is dead. Replaced with something bigger and better.
    Really ... we just don't know.

• -

While this movie was better than Return to Oz I just didn't find anything stellar. I wouldn't want to see it in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    That being said, going from 1905 Kansas to Oz would make a really great transition between the two lands
    Not really. Frontierland takes place in the 19th century, not the 20th. This would be more along the lines of Main Street.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I'm willing to bet that all of these Oz rumors are just a fab that will pass just like Tron, Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia, John Carter, etc.

• Minion

Well Tron and Alice did eventually get in the parks ( even if it was just nighttime parties and merch) the other too bombed.

• rebmeM roinuJ

Im not on board with Oz. Im on the Lone Ranger side of things, definitely.

• Banned User

Yeah, Oz is a weird fit for the parks. I don't think it will have the staying power of animated classics. They remain relevant to audiences without the need for constant publicizing or sequels. Unlike Pirates, Alice..etc.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Yeah, I was going to say something like that too. Why would he give a 'Wizard of Oz' answer to a 'Star Wars' question?

So what I'm understanding is that there's some sort of panel with Tony Baxter, right? Since Baxter didn't actually write that quote and probably said it out loud, it could just be Disneyland Live's interpretation of what he meant? For all we know, Baxter could've just said that quote normally. It's just hard to judge something based on a tweet unless we actually know the context of the tweet.

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Yeah, Oz is a weird fit for the parks. I don't think it will have the staying power of animated classics. They remain relevant to audiences without the need for constant publicizing or sequels. Unlike Pirates, Alice..etc.
    Youre saying Pirates isnt relevant unless it keeps up with the movies?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Yeah, I was going to say something like that too. Why would he give a 'Wizard of Oz' answer to a 'Star Wars' question?

So what I'm understanding is that there's some sort of panel with Tony Baxter, right? Since Baxter didn't actually write that quote and probably said it out loud, it could just be Disneyland Live's interpretation of what he meant? For all we know, Baxter could've just said that quote normally. It's just hard to judge something based on a tweet unless we actually know the context of the tweet.
    Correct. They were just at the panel and were live tweeting from it. It's hard to tell what context his answer was in, but it's interesting nonetheless. Maybe there will be some video of it soon.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Really ... we just don't know.
    I totally agree. For all we know he's commenting about more Oz LTM campaigns to happen this year. Of course I hope that's not what he's talking about.. ugh.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post

Tony was obviously referencing Oz the Great and Powerful, which just came out . . . as a response to a specific question about more Star Wars in the park, it was a wink and a nod way of saying that more stuff than Star Wars is being looked at, such as the Oz film.

He's a showman, and it's a dramatic way to hint about the Oz addition, whatever it might become.

The context is that last summer Tony was hinting about a Wizard of Oz attraction coming to Disneyland, I don't think he just spices up his conversations with Wizard of Oz related verbiage just for the fun of it. He specifically said that this mysterious project would depend upon a certain film doing well at the box office . . .

Though there is a slim chance I'm wrong and it was taken out of context.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast