Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Fantay Faire not doing so well ?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Couple of things:

First, I really really dislike that "John Carter" has become shorthand for "financial disaster." Yeah, it lost money, quite a bit of money, but it was an earnestly ambitious project that was actually made by someone with talent and real passion for the property (unlike, say, the Transformers movies which were made by a hack who openly despises the characters and the story). For whatever reason, John Carter recieved absolutely venomous press well before the film even opened and this kind of residual venom feels completely undeserved and nasty. There's many movies that are far more worth your ire than John Carter. Let's cut Stanton and company a break. Besides, it's not even the biggest bomb of all time. In fact, another Mars-centric Disney film, Mars Needs Moms, had a net loss more than twice John Carter's (and that was actually an awful movie). How come Mars Needs Moms isn't the shorthand?

/end rant

The other thing, and this applies to more than just you, is the section's been open for all of a few days. Come on people, let's at least give it a week before we start writing an obituary. The problem is that a lot of people here dislike the idea/placement/whatever of PFF and they're grasping at straws trying to justify their opinion as the "correct" one. It's fine to not like something, but let's not be deliberately disingenuous here. Attendence will almost assuredly pick up this weekend and it will pick up even more during the summer.

If we're seeing 15 minute wait times posted on a Saturday in July, yeah, it'll be safe to say it was a failure, but I somehow doubt that'll be happening.
    Where did I say John Carter was not an artistic acheivement? So was Fantasia and that film was a financial flop too.

PFF = the Mars Needs Moms of Disneyland (my apologies to those who worked so hard at lending their talents to this movie)

Is that better?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Where did I say John Carter was not an artistic acheivement? So was Fantasia and that film was a financial flop too.
    The difference is we don't use "Fantasia" as slang for financial disaster.

Nothing against you personally, it just seems like John Carter is a movie that has recieved far more abuse than it deserves. At this point it just feels kind of nasty to beat up on a movie that really sincerely tried to do something worthwhile.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    DIsney hasn't really advertised this new addition except for internet publicity and annual passholders. Guests that normally do not visit the parks regularly would most likely not know about the place until they start to exploring the park and there are probably others that still think the old PFF exist but then arrive there to find it closed
    Here in San Diego, there have been promotions over radio. I think the amount of publicity that is going into PFF is proportional to how much actually changed in the resort.

• Banned User

If the wait times when they were in the theatre and along the small world mall are an indicator, this is gonna get quite busy. I do find it interesting though, that they've changed the name from Princess Fantasy Faire to Fantasy Faire. It gives a bit more room for other films to be added in, that aren't so girl targeted. Would love to actually see Pinocchio near Figaro.

• Certified in everything

PFF = the John Carter of Disneyland?
    I doubt it. I was there Wednesday and all of the shows were packed.

However, unlike CarsLand, its not a huge space, and thus not really a place you need to spend more than 10 minutes in to soak in, unless you're seeing a show or the princesses. You can come in, check it out, maybe try the music box, and then move on. Plus with a double sided princess meet and greet, there should never really be any lines longer than 45 minutes max.

I think the land is successfully doing what it is supposed to. It's just not a blockbuster type of attraction... Pixie Hollow was never "out of control" when it opened, and neither are any new shows (at least those on the scale of the PFF shows) when they open. Really all it is is another meet and greet and show, and both of those features have been pretty busy.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

PFF = the Mars Needs Moms of Disneyland (my apologies to those who worked so hard at lending their talents to this movie)

Is that better?
    That's better. But FFV (not "PFF") is NOT = Mars Needs Moms. The quality and integrity of FFV is at the level of the best Disneyland has to offer.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    If the lines are short for the Princess Meet & Greet, it would either be because of the dual M&G, OR the Princesses are losing their appeal. Which would anyone think is the more likely situation? Either way, the Fantasy Faire Village itself would certainly NOT be the reason for the short lines.
    I'm not sure whether you were arguing what I said, but we are actually in agreement. As I said, I think the lines are mostly short because of the 2 sets of meet and greets going on. And, if for some odd reason people stay away, they will go down to one set. No need for 2 sets if there isn't the demand for it. I think the OP hit a slow time in the area and PFF will do well.

However, if it doesn't, I wouldn't say that PFF village would certainly not be the reason. It is tucked away a bit, and for some kids - "out of sight, out of mind". I'm sure that there were a lot of people who previously saw the actual princesses out on their way to Small World or Toon Town and it drew their attention and they got in line. PFF will either draw those who are purposefully looking for the princesses or are curious to see what is over there. Fewer little girls will be saying "Oh, look! There's Sleeping Beauty! Please, please, please can I get in line to meet her??". I'm sure it is one of the reasons they made the PFF stage canopy so pink. They want little girls to beg to go over there.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by skratch addict View Post
    Ouch. lol. But I have to kind of agree. I dont see the need for it. Just my opinion though. Places like Carnation Plaza need to stick around. We're losing anything in the park thats calm or peaceful in comparison. Passive things.
    I very much agree.

• Sock Puppet

Well, if things in Fantasy Faire Village settle down, then IT becomes the calm and peaceful area. Either way, the guests benefit from it. And it's a LOT more picturesque than the remnants of Carnation Plaza.
    I'm wondering if there is much seating in the PFF area (aside from the theater)... I get the feeling PFF wasn't designed as a place to relax.

• Senior Minion

The quality and integrity of FFV is at the level of the best Disneyland has to offer.
    To me the best quality and integrity that Disneyland has to offer is represented by attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Mark Twain and the Disneyland Railroad.

PFF/FFV represents the best of what Iger & Staggs's "Disney Parks Disneyland" has to offer: more marketeering of Disney brands.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I get the feeling PFF wasn't designed as a place to relax.
    It was designed to showcase Disney branded franchise characters -- a walk-thru infomercial for Disney Princess brands.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    PFF/FFV represents the best of what Iger & Staggs's "Disney Parks Disneyland" has to offer: more marketeering of Disney brands.

It was designed to showcase Disney branded franchise characters -- a walk-thru infomercial for Disney Princess brands.
    You could look at it that way, yes. But you could also see it from the perspective of its target demographic, in which its probably a great little area for girls to see their favorite princesses in one area. You could also see it from the perspective of parents, as a well-themed area that makes their kids happy, and also is much better than what it could've been.

I'm willing to bet the PFF is the best part of the day for some of DL's visitors, especially the younger ones.

• Banned User

LOL, these boards at times.

A. It opened Tuesday! Let's give it one full week before we deem it an utter failure at least and that will need a $1 billion make over soon.

B. Its been opened on average weekdays. I'm GUESSING when the weekend comes, and the demographics the place was designed for, the little ones, will come when there is no school. I mean how many are suppose to be there on a Wednesday exactly?

C. As others said, its designed with double princesses, meaning its really 6 princesses, not 3! They obviously did that to cut down the wait times unlike the IASW mall where its just one each like normally. This was a good and very smart thing to do.

D. Another poster made it clear it wont always be the same 3 princesses. There is probably a plan to keep certain ones there most of the time, but they will clearly swap one out for another from time to time.

E. This isnt suppose to be a 'big deal'. There is no real advertising for it. I live in L.A., I havent seen so much as a billboard for it. In fact, the last time I saw a DL commerical was the day it opened and it was the same Carsland commercial they aired this summer. Did they even have a small opening event for it? Didnt sound like they did. Its just to give the princesses a more permanent home. I dont think its meant to increase attendance or anything. I think they aimed it for locals in SoCal on the internet and thats about it.

I know some people out there want this area to fall flat on its face, but the chances of it happening is pretty slim unless suddenly there was a serious drop in taking pics of the princesses between last week and this week. And its a well done area, I'm just glad they beautified and improved from what was there, which was old and severely outdated. That alone will be a plus for the millions who visits.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 03-15-2013 at 06:23 PM.

• Minion

^excellent post!

• Banned User

The Fantasyland Theater wasn't a very good place for a princess meet and greet, thematically speaking, as it wasn't built for this. With PFF, (Fantasy Faire?), we now have a beautifully constructed area dedicated to the princesses. Parents can grab a bite, enjoy a partially shaded queue line, and enjoy some live entertainment if they so choose.

Parents of little girls are going to see the princesses *anyway*, it is wonderful that Disney decided to reward this loyal fan base with a nice place for families with little kids.

Princess Anna and Elsa will soon be the new members of the Disney pantheon of princesses, and I look forward to seeing Frozen when it comes out.

I think it is a little dishonest to announce that PFF is a failure, and is very laughable given that Disneyland will *always* have a steady stream of princesses, many of whom come dressed up in their princess gear. Trust me, parents of little girls already know all about the offerings for little girls, the supposed "bright" colors of PFF don't look that bad in recent photos, and it is more for the festival atmosphere as there are signs.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    You could look at it that way, yes. But you could also see it from the perspective of its target demographic, in which its probably a great little area for girls to see their favorite princesses in one area. You could also see it from the perspective of parents, as a well-themed area that makes their kids happy, and also is much better than what it could've been.

I'm willing to bet the PFF is the best part of the day for some of DL's visitors, especially the younger ones.
    The disgruntled APers who are upset that they lost one of their favorite hidden rest spots don't realize that parents *love* seeing their little daughters having a good time by meeting the princesses, as well as other characters. They foam at the mouth when the princesses are brought up even though this "franchise" is at the heart of Disney and goes back to Walt's day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast