Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Monsters Inc. "bait and switch" Misleading Ads?

If you have seen the billboards strewn around the California landscape for the new Monsters Inc ride you'll only see a big image of Sully and "A monster of a new Ride" then a giant gold "Disneyland 50th" logo and some very fine print. Like the tiny word Resort. No mention that i could find (and i looked for it) that the ride lives in DCA. Other advertised rides clearly made the distinction, like TOT in their ads. Why not with this one? Could the marketing boys at TDA be using "bait and switch" tactics to get you to think in a glance that the ride is at DL, then get you get all the way down there, to have to buy a park hopper ticket when the kids melt down to learn the ride is actually in DCA? Like yeah, me thinks.

Are they slyly burying DCA's identity to get you to the Resort? It worked at Xmas when the gates had to close to DL, then quite a number went into DCA and it helped..Hmmm.

Freeway billboards are designed to be read in less than 3 seconds, so there is little chance that you'll see the teensy word "Resort" or have any clue that the ride is anywhere other than inside of Disneyland. These are local signs and locals know the rep of DCA. Like the Space Mountain ads that use footage from practically every other SM except Disneyland, there is a disturbing trend here. Thoughts?

If someone has a pic of the billboard please post it.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Monsters Inc. "bait and switch" Misleading Ads?

I think that DCA needs its attendance levels boosted. Thus, it needs guests to enter DCA first, if what people say about how attendance data is compiled is true ("first park gets the count"). Why would TDA "bait-and-switch" in this manner?

A better tactic would have been, for example, "New Buzz Lightyear Laser Blasters near Disney's California Adventure!"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

i'd have to see a pic, before I could judge.

The billboards may be a bit ambiguous but I don't think they are misleading. The billboard does not suggest the ride is located at Disneyland or even DCA.

I'd think the billboard equivalent of a "teaser", which would prompt someone to go to the Disney website to get more information.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Come on, I guess I need to get a photo of the Billboard.

The main part of the poster is Sulley, and saying "It's a Monster of a new ride" (or something similar).

Then in the lower right corner you see Disneyland 50th.

That is it.

If you read the fine print, then you see something saying it is based on a Pixar film in the lower left, and below the word "Disneyland" in the lower right corner is the word Resort, but it is MUCH smaller than Disneyland, I would say at least a 10th the size, and maybe smaller!

My favorite was finding a pin on Sunday. It was a Monster's Inc. pin with Sulley and Boo on it. And on the bottom, it had the traditional "Walt Disney's" in script, then the words Monster's, Inc. below it, all in about the same size type. No mention of Pixar, made it look like the film was made by Walt Disney Animation.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Animatronic

Disney Marketing is using the force to hide DCA. There is no DCA, it's all one big resort. There is no single park ticket. Pay no attention to the small item on the bottom of the ticket board. There are only park hoppers. The single day price is $79. It's a good deal because you get to hop and it's all really just Disneyland... resort.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Come on, I guess I need to get a photo of the Billboard.
    Your camera doesn't work outside of theme parks and amusement parks?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

For the last 5 years there's been only one message - The Disneyland Resort.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think it's more important to advertise the ride itself than the park it is at, then again I don't know how big it says Disneyland. As silly as it sounds, a picture would be in order.

Disney's marketing department probably feels comfortable with the advertisements since the "2fer" promotion is currently being offered to residents of southern California.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

"Bait and Switch" is a term used by the FTC to sue Sears for advertising an item at a low price and then when the customer arrives, it is not available and then they try and upcharge them to a more expensive item than what was advertised. (Ride is not at the park you thought you were going to, then sell the hopper) the customer came in the door expecting one thing and got another. I agree with another poster, that TDA is trying to make it all one Resort and kill the stigma of DCA. A good plan.

Obviously, I think you guys are being far too kind to this misleading advertising. It will be interesting to see if there are any guest complaints as to them entering Disneyland looking for the ride.

• love my friends

i have never seen this.. I always assumed it was at DCA.. but maybe its because I work there..hmmmmmm

Friends for life

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    "Bait and Switch" is a term used by the FTC to sue Sears for advertising an item at a low price and then when the customer arrives, it is not available and then they try and upcharge them to a more expensive item than what was advertised. (Ride is not at the park you thought you were going to, then sell the hopper) the customer came in the door expecting one thing and got another. I agree with another poster, that TDA is trying to make it all one Resort and kill the stigma of DCA. A good plan.

Obviously, I think you guys are being far too kind to this misleading advertising. It will be interesting to see if there are any guest complaints as to them entering Disneyland looking for the ride.
    Meh, you are being far too paranoid.
    It will lead to complaints, and it will lead to many free parkhopper upgrades.
    It also leads to lower admission levels for DCA than expected by accountaneering and advertiseering departments.

Tell you what, though. If you have time, buy yourself a one-park admission, go into DL, then complain in City Hall about Monsters Inc. attraction not being there. See what happens. Report it here, if you like.

Or, spend a day in City Hall, listening in on other complaints. Report here how many complain and what the result is.

Disneyland isn't one wayward Sears. It doesn't have to resort to such ploys to take money from the ignorant.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'd have to agree with you...this has been bugging me for a while, too. But until DCA becomes more of it's own park, trickery such as this will have to be used to make any kind of money >_<

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i've been wondering if anyone was going to mention this billboard. i keep wanting to take a picture of it, but the only one i know of is on my way to work, so i'm the one driving. don't want to risk my life trying to take a picture while driving on the 405.

i think it stinks that they don't just come out and say that this ride is at DCA. of course, people that read disney boards will know where the ride is, but many tourists will not. i've heard people in DCA ask where the castle is. i think this should be played up in DCA's favor & advertised as a new ride at DCA, which also has BPB, ToT, Screamin', etc....
    <o>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast