Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Another 24 Hour Disneyland Event

Yeah, but due to the "One Disney" mentality or whatever, they staffed Anaheim like it was Orlando. That's where they went wrong, IMO. You DON'T staff a park like that when you have the size of LA proper plus the size of a few other major cities (like Houston, which would be San Fernando Valley [and perhaps San Gabriel Valley combined?]). Plus, for some reason, Anaheim seems to underestimate the locals - AP or not - and that completely bit them in the butt on that one! Things were all nice and fine and fun during the day. When the second Soundsational ended, that's when I REALLY noticed all the people in the Park. Perhaps if they took the data from OMDD and upped their staffing and supplies instead of going for Orlando demographics, then perhaps this will work. IDK. When I left OMDD just before midnight, it was a sea of people gate to gate and there were still huge lines at each ticket booth for people to get in. Just my two cents.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

I enjoyed OMDD but my only goal that day was to be there for 24 Hours straight, which I achieved! I honestly had thought the busiest it was going to get was probably after midnite. Pffff..we all know how that went.

I'd do it again but I always figured after the chaos for Anaheim that was OMDD, they wouldn't do it again. If they do in fact do another 24 Hour event, I for see it being an up charge event like the Halloween Parties.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    Trust me...there won't be another 24 hour day.

Trust me.... I wouldn't put any bets on that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Along with that the freeway and surface street messes. I can't imagine Anaheim going along with that again unless they have a guarantee of the last fiasco not happening again.

• Can Only Wish For More!

You know, doing One More Disney Day as a hard-ticket event, would alleviate all those related issues from last year. When you have everyone come after work, that's why all hell broke loose and parking to buying tickets was madness.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

This is happening. Managers have been discussing it in the office lately, and word has leaked out. But they are handling it differently this time, as both Disneyland AND California Adventure will be open for the event to help handle the crowds. It's May 24th into the 25th, and both parks will operate for the entire event. The Parking team and Anaheim Police are working to come up with a plan for surface street and freeway gridlock. The same day the Magic Kingdom at WDW will also have a 24 hour party. But only Disneyland Resort will offer two parks for the same overnight event. It will be madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    Trust me...there won't be another 24 hour day.
    I'm afraid I don't trust you. It's happening. May 24th-25th, 2013. In both parks.

• Nor Cal AP'er

So I have a question..."Since May 25th is blocked out for all but premium,what happens to the AP's that are blocked that are in the park after midnight May 24th?"
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    This is happening. Managers have been discussing it in the office lately, and word has leaked out. But they are handling it differently this time, as both Disneyland AND California Adventure will be open for the event to help handle the crowds. It's May 24th into the 25th, and both parks will operate for the entire event. The Parking team and Anaheim Police are working to come up with a plan for surface street and freeway gridlock. The same day the Magic Kingdom at WDW will also have a 24 hour party. But only Disneyland Resort will offer two parks for the same overnight event. It will be madness!
    When will they officially announce this?

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment 626 View Post
    So I have a question..."Since May 25th is blocked out for all but premium,what happens to the AP's that are blocked that are in the park after midnight May 24th?"
    If I remember correctly, there was a MiceChatter who was blocked on New Years when trying to park hop after midnight. Not allowed into D-Land, not allowed back into DCA, despite having spent the day there. I'm sure it'll be the same for this event. Depending on who scans your ticket, you might be allowed back in, or you might not.

Actually, I think it's a great idea. As one of the crazies trying to get into Disneyland after midnight on OMDD, I can tell you from experience that it was a madhouse in the esplanade as we waited for the gates to reopen. By not allowing new admissions for APers who are blocked out on the 25th, they'll be able to control or perhaps eliminate the post-midnight rush.

I think the disaster caused on OMDD is the biggest lesson to be learned from & another 24 hour event can be done if they use what hey learned from the last one.

Biggest lesson being utilizing BOTH parks. That alone will relieve crowds trying to fit into one park.

But with it being on a weekend, that just means a bigger turn out I would think as many people have to work during the week usually & that alone could be a deterrent.

To make a special event where a special ticket is purchased could completely help since they would be able to control the crowds. Even make a special "park hopper" or 1 park style.

I don't think I'd buy a ticket for that though. I already have to buy one for Halloween. We'll probably have to buy one for Christmas at this point? Goodness knows how the viewing for the Candlelight Processional will go this year, probably have to get a ticket or dinner package (Would love a dinner package btw).

My pass expires in 5 days. It's gone up in price again of course.
    So the continual rise in AP price, then to have to buy a "ticket" to get into so many events. My wallet is only but so deep.

*Sigh* Disney lover problems right.
    A bad day at Disneyland is better than a good day at work. But who ever heard of a bad day at Disneyland?
    https://twitter.com/Flutterfly_74
    http://pinterest.com/flutterfly74/
    http://flutterfly74.tumblr.com/

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I think that TDA will be smarter about it next time.
    Haha, If they are considering another one (especially so soon), it would only be because the last one was profitable. So they would only be smarter about ordering more merchandise this time.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine and he mentioned that there would be a 24 hour event at Disneyland from May 24 to May 25th. He also mentions that it happens to fall on the same day at a media event, Grad Nite, and the opening for the "Mickey and the Magical Map" show at the Fantasyland theater.

What are your questions, comments, concerns, worries, wishes? Would you do this, or do this again?
    That would be weird on a Grad Nite since they usually "close" the park early and it's open all night to the "grads".

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I can see Disneyland doing another "All-Nighter", there is a long precedence. Things like a new major ride or show opening have been used in the past as reasons to have one - Captain Eo, Star Tours, Indy... Or they'd do a lot of "Annual Passholder Nights" that were functionally the same thing - get to stay till 2 or 3 AM for something 'Different."

One More Disney Day didn't work well IMHO because it was a "Disney Parks" idea that came from Florida, and they let the Florida management crew determine all the staffing and offerings, instead of seeking the input from the Disneyland admins on what they would really need to pull it off the right way, the Disney way. You can't plan and run something like this by Remote Control.

And even then, they were darned lucky most of the OMDD crowd was AP's - Everyone was amazingly polite and calm about the massive lines, because they could see that the CM's were hopelessly understaffed - Everyone that was there already had been extended, and others couldn't get there... I heard there were some CM's coming in for the overnight shifts that took an hour to get off the freeway and into the Katella Cast Member Lot, and over an hour to shuttle from KCML over to the Parks.

For an event like this, they need to beef up the usual offerings. Plan to park guests at the Convention Center, Honda Center & Big A, and have shuttles available all night. Grey Line, Greyhound, or OCTA. Or better, all of them - a seperate vendor for each lot.

You weren't driving so you might not know you parked at Honda Center - but if you remember you rode a Greyhound coach to the Parks drop-off zone, now they know how to get you back.

And they blew it on the offerings - they had The Billies start their day at 1 AM, which was fine - but they should have had the Laughing Stock crew there all day and into the late afternoon, and call Dana Daniels & Luigi in to do their "G. H. Variety Show" a half-dozen times for the evening shift. And all the while the food service is running.

Same thing with other venues - they had a Day show or an Overnight show, but nothing in between. And if you plan to have the place open all night, there needs to be places to go and things to do - All Night. One big gap in the schedules, and you'll suddenly have a huge slug of people with no place to go and nothing to do.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Having two parks open would definitely help ease the pain of it.... but to all the people who say it's a bad idea, think of it as a marketing tool. It's something that gets people talking about disneyland. That's buzz and when someone who hasn't been in awhile hears about it, it just may get them to come back on another day.

I already took the day off from work to be there just to experience it. I did last year's Leap Day and while I almost died driving home afterwards (I'm going to plan it better this time), being able to see DCA for 24 hours is a brand new thing.

DCA doesn't have a lot of nap-worthy attractions though. There's Muppet Vision... and maybe Little Mermaid... oh and Soarin'. (don't even suggest it's tough to be a bug!) Hmm, I might need to stay in Disneyland after all! I took really nice naps on Pirates, Haunted, Lincoln, Small World and Captain EO.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast