Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Another 24 Hour Disneyland Event

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    Grad Nite tickets are not more than day tickets. This year they are about $70.
    When I went in 95 I seem to remember the tickets being much more than the standard day ticket. But that was a long time ago.

Is it safe to assume the dress code will also be tossed out the window??

• socal native

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    When I went in 95 I seem to remember the tickets being much more than the standard day ticket. But that was a long time ago.

Is it safe to assume the dress code will also be tossed out the window??
    Your school may have charged to cover transportation which is why it may have seemed like more. But I have been chaperoning Grad Nites since 2003, and the cost then was about $55. My school generally adds on transportation costs (unless the kids raise enough funds) so there is an additional cost of about $20 per kid (Grad Nite buses are expensive since the bus drivers have down time regulations. We've had to pay for hotel rooms for the drivers.) And yes, dress code is not what it was in the 90s, and on top of that there is little real enforcement. Disney expects the chaperones to enforce it, but not all chaperones do, and Disney doesn't, even though they say in their literature they will.

To keep the thread on track, if Disney is planning a 24 hour event on a Grad Nite, expect additional mayhem. I have been to plenty of Grad Nites, and I went to OMDD. This just does not seem like a smart combination.

I don't know whether Disney will do this, but I do know they created huge changes last year which caused Grad Nite to no longer be an all-night event. It seems strange to me, that given those changes, they would do an event on a Grad Night with the current Grad Nite model they have created with the event ending at 2am instead of 6am.

In my opinion, a 24 hour, 1 day event should go midnight to midnight. This would weed out the after work crowd to some degree and space out attendance. The park closes at 8pm, giving downtime for maintenance, restocking, shift changes, etc. Then reopens at 12am. Then the park goes until 11:59pm of the same day. A true 24 hour event. Only the "crazy" fans will really plan to spend the whole day anyways, and the "after work passholders" who have been complained about ad nauseam on this site will pass because most could do a 6pm to midnight on a given weekend, making it less of a special event in that way.

•   

This doesn't make sense. I can't believe there would be a grad nite and DLR or the schools would allow the two crowds to mix like that.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

•   

I just noticed that some postings listed May 24 as a grad nite but some later posts omit that. In addition, the "all night" grad parties will be in DCA this year. The admission includes a park hopper ticket and grads can arrive anytime during the day and park hop until park closing and then move to DCA until 3:00 a.m. So if the 24 OMD is really going to happen my guess is that there will not be a grad nite that day. I'm sure details will be revealed soon...
    Leonard

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disney_leonard View Post
    I just noticed that some postings listed May 24 as a grad nite but some later posts omit that. In addition, the "all night" grad parties will be in DCA this year. The admission includes a park hopper ticket and grads can arrive anytime during the day and park hop until park closing and then move to DCA until 3:00 a.m. So if the 24 OMD is really going to happen my guess is that there will not be a grad nite that day. I'm sure details will be revealed soon...
    That would be my guess, too: they'll do Grad Nite OR the 24 hour event, but they won't do both on one night. It would be ridiculous.

I'm wondering if the date given is a red herring, as well. If the Mickey and the Magical Map show is opening on 5/25, having another 24 hour event will steal focus from it. It also would make it harder for the CMs to prettify the park for the premiere.

Another completely uneducated guess is that the 24th is an all-night Grad Nite - any chance they'd do that and have a full overnight party for certain schools, if not all?

• I see as I say

It appears on this website here that Grad Nite 2013 won't be happening on 5/24...

https://forms.disneyave.com/1336664316/16
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

^It's not listed as an "available" grad nite on that site, but it was listed on another page of that site when grad nite dates were first announced last year:

Disneyland Grad Nite | Celebrations & Field Trips | Disney Youth Programs

(under dates, click 2013, and then click May)

So it could either mean that May 24th has been taken off the table by Disney, or (and more likely since the that would mean canceling the trips of schools that had already scheduled May 24th) May 24th has simply sold out. It is the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and would be a popular choice by schools. Kids can handle a long night, but their chaperones are probably looking forward to the coming Monday off to reset.

Edit #1: Actually, it's not the same site because once you start the registration process, you're re-routed to the link posted above mine.

Edit #2: I hope I'm wrong and it really isn't a grad nite.
    Last edited by The First Star; 03-31-2013 at 08:23 PM.

• See Ya Real Soon!

This is also Memorial Day weekend.

•   

I did a Google of Disneyland May 24 2013 and came up with what looks like grad nite info. for Bishop Gorman Catholic HS from Las Vegas. I don't think they will cancel any grad nites this late. I don't know how you manage getting the grad party kids corralled and over to DCA from DL and the 24 hour guests to DL when the evening will be chaos. The next few days will be interesting. Maybe this was an early April Fools Day gag.

Bishop Gorman High School
    Leonard

So i'm really wondering if this has any legitimacy to it. I'm really thinking about heading out to DL for that weekend (Magical Map opening, Greece celebration), but would love to know for sure if this is happening. It wouldn't stop my trip as i'd actually like to experience it as I didn't get to last year. I just would love to get a more stable yes/no to this.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Next Big Thing View Post
    So i'm really wondering if this has any legitimacy to it. I'm really thinking about heading out to DL for that weekend (Magical Map opening, Greece celebration), but would love to know for sure if this is happening. It wouldn't stop my trip as i'd actually like to experience it as I didn't get to last year. I just would love to get a more stable yes/no to this.
    So would we. And as soon as someone knows for sure, we'll pass it on. But as usual, Rumors of events like this get out, sometimes they are leaked on purpose to gauge public opinion. Then Disney waits to see which way the wind is blowing before they decide for sure.

And sometimes they decide Yes and put it on the calendar and start planing in earnest - then a week or two later they change their minds and Un-Approve it.

It's actually a good idea to do these sorts of special events *IF* they do it right this time, like they've usually done in the past - There were all-night events for the grand openings of Rocket Rods, Star Tours, Captain Eo, Indiana Jones and Temple of the Three Hour Line...

The "One More Disney Day" on February 29th 2012 was an abberation, they let Florida do all the planning and they set it up like it was going to be done there - and in Florida, people plan their vacations a year out and get a room on-site, and once they are in they are in.

The dynamic is totally different at Disneyland, people that live within a two to three hour drive have AP's and think nothing of driving down for the night on a whim - And they did. Boy, Did They Ever. There were lines to get in all night, gridlock on all the surrounding streets, and Disneyland was Standing Room Only.

There weren't nearly enough CM's inside to handle the crunch, no high-level Managers, and nobody could be called in on that short of notice - and even the ones who were scheduled or called couldn't get there.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Operating until 6 in the morning is old hat for Disneyland. They've been doing it for Grad Nights for decades. It's the crowds from One More Disney Day that took them by surprise. Who knew everyone would want in on it...at the last minute.
    But I'm sure they'll be prepared for this round. More staffing, more food and merchandise, and lots of security. One More Disney Day was the rehearsal. On May 24th it's showtime.

• Nutty about Disney parks

It seems like a very random day to do a OMDD for no reason other than to cash in on it. I agree that scheduling it on a Friday that is the beginning of a very busy holiday weekend is already a bad idea. The first OMDD took place during the slow season in the middle of the work week. This is suicide for the people who will have to work that day.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Is this still happening on the 24/25? It looks like Al took down his post about it.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    Is this still happening on the 24/25? It looks like Al took down his post about it.
    Apparently Al's column has been removed as well.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast