Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• -

Re: Classic Tomorrowland Attraction Returns

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Hardly. Outside Disneyland - where are there arcades anymore? They were once everywhere, but today few exist, and are sparsely attended at best. No one plays the big games anymore - seriously. You have much better games available on your phones today, and don't soak you fifty cents to a buck a whack. Starcade has no relationship to Tomorrowland as they are a passé technology. If they turned Starcade into something like Midway Mania, there may be hope. But as it is - it is an old thought, old toy, old interest, and sums up how hip and edgy Disney Management really is...
    Pretty much this.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Tomorrowland is just sad.

• Cove Bar Official Dj

i like playing the pinballs there put the pinballs in stores like indiana has an ill be happy
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Just my wishful thinking .... I'd like to think this as a pre-cursor to bigger things coming.

In early 1997 .... just before Circle-Vision closed to make way for Rocket Rods ... they re-ran the 1967 production of "America The Beautiful" for nostalgic guests. Ran for a month .. maybe a bit longer. Hard to remember. It was one last visit to Circle-Vision before it became toast.

Putting in the arcade games used in Flynn's Arcade in DCA's Electronica is nice for those of us into those 80s arcade games. But this round of nostalgia feels like - Just one more go-around for the Starcade that once had those very games from the start ....... before....................... (???)

again ....... my wishful thinking.
    I think you're right if they are going with the Carsland paradigm: open it big and with a lot of theming. No need to pour money into a fix-up of the Starcade if it is all coming down in six months.

Or even six years.

The Rocket Rod/People Mover track has been left in place for over a decade.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Tomorrowland is the one place in the Park that should not allow nostalgia to be a contributory factor in choosing/installing attractions. If Disney wants to start going "Back to the Future" in TL (Captain EO, Starcade) to impress guests and recapture imaginations, I say spread that philosophy around the Park where it could actually do some good (POTC, TSI, Swiss Family Treehouse, Carnation Plaza Gardens).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Tomorrowland is the one place in the Park that should not allow nostalgia to be a contributory factor in choosing/installing attractions. If Disney wants to start going "Back to the Future" in TL (Captain EO, Starcade) to impress guests and recapture imaginations, I say spread that philosophy around the Park where it could actually do some good (POTC, TSI, Swiss Family Treehouse, Carnation Plaza Gardens).
    This! I know it contradicts my prior post, but its the Swab! So nice to hear from you again!

I don't have an AP anymore so if you still want a churro you're gonna have to settle for Costco.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Me? Settle?
    Good to see you, too. Been a long time, D.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Swabbie is spot on.

Nice to see you again Swabbie...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Disneyland History Lover

Ideally Disney would make better use of this space. But, at least they are using it for something other than more generic merchandise and meet and greets. After all, the name Starcade is still on the side of the building. It's about time they get it back to being used as such. It's a shame they won't reopen the second level, though. It's hard to imagine an obviously shuttered area like this visible to the public anywhere else in Disneyland. I guess Tomorrowland has long had its share of obvious and inaccessible buildings, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think you're right if they are going with the Carsland paradigm: open it big and with a lot of theming. No need to pour money into a fix-up of the Starcade if it is all coming down in six months.

Or even six years.

The Rocket Rod/People Mover track has been left in place for over a decade.
    Yeah, this has "band-aid" written all over it.

The PM/RR track hasn't been used in 13 years. That means I was 15 when took my first and only trip on the 'Rods.

I hope the track will have been replaced by the time I'm 30.

• backwards driver

Ummm, the original starcade didn't look that um missmatched. Why don't they at least theme it to like Pizza Planet from toy story with those type of games like they did back at El Capitan when it first premiered. That would be futuristic enough to fit in with rest of the land and not really take much effort on their part. Themed games thats all. Sigh.

• Still lost in Neverland

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Boo. Waste of space!
    I totally agree. Why on Earth would someone spend $80 to come to a Theme Park like Disneyland and then waste your time paying for and playing video games. It just doesn't make any sense to me and never did even back when it was both floors with much better games. I would not waste my time as I am too busy going on Million $$ attractions instead of standing and dropping coins into video games that one can find in any Mall.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Filmmaker

Does anyone know if they brought in the Space Paranoids machines from the Flynn Lives ARG and ElecTRONica?

I do like the idea of having somewhere to play both classic arcade cabinets that are increasingly harder to find as well as some unique ones that can't be played anywhere else (Fix-It Felix, Space Paranoids), but I agree that a standalone arcade not connected to any other experience doesn't fit well with Tomorrowland. If they had some kind of TRON attraction and they included a recreation of Flynn's Arcade as a pre or post-show element it would work, but otherwise it's not terribly exciting.

In fairness, though, I would much rather have classic arcade cabinets rather than the newer generic games. This is an improvement, albeit a minor one, but it's still not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    …video games that one can find in any Mall.
    Er– that's not exactly true. Arcades are becoming increasingly harder to find, particularly ones with a good collection of classic arcade cabinets, so there is a niche that can be filled. Not to mention Disney's custom built cabinets for Space Paranoids and Fix-It Felix, Jr. *are* unique experiences that you can't find anywhere else.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    Ummm, the original starcade didn't look that um missmatched. Why don't they at least theme it to like Pizza Planet from toy story with those type of games like they did back at El Capitan when it first premiered. That would be futuristic enough to fit in with rest of the land and not really take much effort on their part. Themed games thats all. Sigh.
    How is a modern day pizza joint futuristic?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Er– that's not exactly true. Arcades are becoming increasingly harder to find, particularly ones with a good collection of classic arcade cabinets, so there is a niche that can be filled. Not to mention Disney's custom built cabinets for Space Paranoids and Fix-It Felix, Jr. *are* unique experiences that you can't find anywhere else.
    If they are starting to become obsolete in a modern day setting, they shouldn't be placed in a setting that is supposed to represent the future.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I totally agree. Why on Earth would someone spend $80 to come to a Theme Park like Disneyland and then waste your time paying for and playing video games. It just doesn't make any sense to me and never did even back when it was both floors with much better games. I would not waste my time as I am too busy going on Million $$ attractions instead of standing and dropping coins into video games that one can find in any Mall.
    We get it you don't like arcades. Guess what, I don't like meet and greets. I don't think they are completely ridiculous and should be removed just because I don't like them. Its odd to me that the Penny Arcade is cherished but everyone wants the Starcade destroyed because "why on earth would someone spend $80 to come to a theme park and waste money paying for games." Penny Arcade, Starcade, Meet and greets, walkthrough attractions, play areas, etc all have their own audience. I'm not saying Starcade is the best use of the space, but I do enjoy "wasting" my money playing classic arcade games in Disneyland. The fact remains that many people still enjoy vintage arcade games whether you agree with it or not.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast