Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Classic Tomorrowland Attraction Returns

All of this talk is missing the point that the place looks like an absolute DUMP. Realy a disgrace to DLR.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    It's a shame they won't reopen the second level, though. It's hard to imagine an obviously shuttered area like this visible to the public anywhere else in Disneyland. I guess Tomorrowland has long had its share of obvious and inaccessible buildings, though.
    It's been shut since 1999. And won't reopen ... because the second level is not up to current ADA code. In order to do that - They have to build an elevator first. And then the escalators have to come out, and replaced with wider ones.

At that stage - That would be considered - "major refurb" work.

And my gut feeling - they will only tackle it .. when they decide to get on with it ... with the rest of the land. (Needing a major refurb.)

My wish ... I want to see Space Mountain's 2 flanking wings .... that consist of the Starcade space .. and Space Mountain queue/Redd Rockets seating area .. completely demolished. And then rebuilt in a new and different way ... to accommodate a new layout .. that is conducive to new attractions, and new facilities that meet current codes.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If they are starting to become obsolete in a modern day setting, they shouldn't be placed in a setting that is supposed to represent the future.
    From that very same post:

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I agree that a standalone arcade not connected to any other experience doesn't fit well with Tomorrowland.

Not to sound negative, but they should really get rid of Starcade. Everyones too busy doing other things inside the park than play in an arcade. If they want an arcade, then put it in Downtown Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Tomorrowland is the one place in the Park that should not allow nostalgia to be a contributory factor in choosing/installing attractions. If Disney wants to start going "Back to the Future" in TL (Captain EO, Starcade) to impress guests and recapture imaginations, I say spread that philosophy around the Park where it could actually do some good (POTC, TSI, Swiss Family Treehouse, Carnation Plaza Gardens).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I totally agree. Why on Earth would someone spend $80 to come to a Theme Park like Disneyland and then waste your time paying for and playing video games. It just doesn't make any sense to me and never did even back when it was both floors with much better games. I would not waste my time as I am too busy going on Million $$ attractions instead of standing and dropping coins into video games that one can find in any Mall.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How is a modern day pizza joint futuristic?

If they are starting to become obsolete in a modern day setting, they shouldn't be placed in a setting that is supposed to represent the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderWolf2010 View Post
    Not to sound negative, but they should really get rid of Starcade. Everyones too busy doing other things inside the park than play in an arcade. If they want an arcade, then put it in Downtown Disney!

Okay, does anyone here remember the reasoning behind the 1998 refurb and why they did it the way they did? On why it was designed that way? The 98 refurb was designed with Jules Verne in mind, a future that was never changing, and only..... I guess one could call it.... "theoretical." Remember how difficult it is to maintain a land that's supposed to represent the future and where time always catches up to it. Walt wanted a land to represent the future, but unfortunately it always had this problem with falling behind the times. So the Imagineers came up with the Jules Verne concept in order for the land to try to be more everlasting. Though I will undoubtedly deny that it probably does need a refurb. As far as the old Peoplemover track, they should just bring that ride back & at least make it similar to the one here in Florida to make it look a little more modern. But I guess that might mean they'd have to cover it.

I guess I am one of those that was in favor of Starrcade, or even turning it into Flynn's once Electronica was closed. I grew up going to Disney in the 80's & 90's and back in the day, Tomorrowland was the place to be when you were young. There was Space Mountain, Star Tours, Tomorrrowland Stage, America Sings, and there was Starrcade. I remember playing a lot of the classic arcade games and one of my favorite was the Star Wars Trilogy game. Before people would group up to watch someone playing one of those Dance mania's, people would gather to watch someone playing Star Wars. I used to love going to the park just to play that game, impressing many people with my lightsaber skills and reflexes after going on a few rides. When going to Flynn's in DCA, I was reminded of those times & got to relive them a little with everyone else as we all lined up to play Tron. But yes, nowadays arcades just aren't the thing anymore (even in a local mall) with the home gaming & app age. Why would anyone go through a few dollars just to play some retro games, when they have an XBox, a Playstation, or a Wii at home?

I'll tell you why. Because you don't get those classic retro games on your home system. Unless you got special skills.

People also have to remember that it wasn't just a "themed" park like Disneyland that had arcade somewhere on the property. All amusement parks had them back in the day because with the booming computer age in the early 80's, those were the thing. They were a cool place to be. Just take a moment to remember what it was like back in those days if you were around, and how far we have come through the years with technology. With everything we have now, its no wonder that arcades are a thing of the past.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Okay, does anyone here remember the reasoning behind the 1998 refurb and why they did it the way they did?
    Eisner got cold feet, following the troubles with Euro Disney. Had his triple-bypass, lost Frank Wells (who balanced-out Eisner, all those years earlier). And Eisner put in place, a new head at WDI who would follow Eisner's new "cheaper is better" mode, with Retail Extraordinaire - Paul Pressler!

In the late 80s ... it was the Tomorrowland:2055 concept that was eventually suppose to go into place. Once Euro Disney became a financial headache for Eisner, (along with those other factors, I mention) he cut the funding down for the TL Rehab dramatically. Had imagineering draft up an entirely new plan, to fit the lesser budget - TL: "Imagination & Beyond" .. was it's tag line. (Such irony!)

Manufactured a clone of DLP's Orbitron - check!
    Manufactured a clone of EPCOT's "Honey, I shrunk the Audience" - check
    Manufactured a "Westcoast" version of EPCOT's Innoventions - check
    Put in a water fountain at ground level - Cosmic Waves
    Tinker with the Rocket Jets mechanism to make it look like a dish making contact with aliens in outerspace - Observatron
    Throw on some brown paint on various old structures ......

BINGO ... You got yourself the "K-Mart Special" of all Tomorrowlands!

Oh ... and GM pulls out of sponsorship of Rocket Rods in the middle of developing the attraction .... the rest is history.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.

• Artistic integrity

It's unbelievable "K-Mart Special land" has gone on for 15 years, now!

Makes you realize just how bureaucratic the company is.

Procrastination and Internal Politics is their game.

And then I think of this -
    A quote from someone here:

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I tell you that 3 years ago Tony was very explicit when he was discussing how unhappy he was with state of Tomorrowland especially. He also told me that he and fellow Imagineers had an entirely new Tomorrowland planned out but that he was unable to get any kind of budget approved by the suits upstairs.

Now he has a new role called "Advisor" ....

I just wonder ... will this spinning with the Carousel of Procrastination ever stop ... and Disney make an official announcement - and get off their laurels?
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I just wonder ... will this spinning with the Carousel of Procrastination ever stop ... and Disney make an official announcement - and get off their laurels?
    I think I speak for everyone when I say we all want a solid Tomorrowland update, but you've got to cut Disney some slack here. Disney has spent the better part of the last decade trying to fix "K-Mart Special land" as you call it. We got the fantastic update to Space Mountain in 2005, they brought back the subs (I know there's many people who are not particularly fond of Nemo, but I argue that it's a whole lot better than an empty decaying lagoon), they brought in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, they re-did Star Tours, they've done a lot of aesthetic work to the land to make it much more attractive, etc. I know that there's varying opinions on the level of success of each of these additions, but regardless they've been actively working to fix what they broke in 1998.

They also just dumped $1.1 billion into DCA, which was, at least in my opinion, a much more glaring problem for the resort than Tomorrowland was.

Funds are not unlimited, and it would have been bad form to have an entire land of Disneyland closed simultaneous with DCA being systematically rebuilt. Tomorrowland needs help, and hopefully now that DCA is finished (more-or-less) we'll see some kind of announcement within a year or so. It's not as if Disney's neglecting the resort, in fact we have it a whole lot better than our sister resort in Florida at the moment.

• Not on the Jedi Council

The machines aren't mismatched. They are, in fact, the exact same units last seen at elecTRONica last year, the ones seen on the second floor of Starcade for ages. Yes, arcade machines are a hobby of mine, and I know the units they had there.

I am thrilled to see them back. As to the waste of space, did we really need more space for Phineas and Ferb plush? And I will ask just how that fit into a Tomorrowland theme on its own. Better to have something else than even more retail space.

Does Tomorrowland need a full resculpt and refresh? Absolutely. But until they can pony up for a full attraction, I am perfectly happy to come to Anaheim to play these lovely units that I grew up with.

I also say the real problem with TL is that no one really thinks about the future any more. What everyone thinks of as the "futuristic" Art Deco style dates back to 1928. No one has really thought much about what the world will/could look like in 2028.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    I also say the real problem with TL is that no one really thinks about the future any more.
    I don't agree with that. Punch up any google search using the words futurism, futuristic cities, futuristic transportation ... both "Web" and "Images" ... and there's plenty. And that's just what people put on the web. Which doesn't count - books, magazines, what's on television. Etc. Look at the Discovery Channel. There's plenty of stuff on things - futuristic.

What's happened today .... we have more entertainment options than we ever had before .. and some would rather know what those Kardisian ... whatever .. bimbos are doing .... or Desperate House wives .. House Husbands ... whatever. And Hollywood film-makers don't do the "future" any favors by making every single story with a dystopian view ... to be the protagonist.

Today's society just loves to be more negative. But our own generations will pass ... and eventually .... the future comes anyway .... Whether us humans try to look into it, or not.

No one has really thought much about what the world will/could look like in 2028.
    Well ... that's only 15 years away. Not a whole lot is going to change.

Try projecting 300 years from now.

Imagine life in 2313. That's more exciting and interesting.

• New Member Goes Forth

Is that the new attraction in the land of the future...
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Well I think first came the 98 refurb, and then the addition of DCA in 2001. And then there was prep for the 50th in 2005. And after a while they started talking about what they called the "California Adventure headache", the plan to fix and expand that park to boost the low attendance numbers they were getting by putting in a Little Mermaid ride, Cars Land, and doing a re-theme on the entrance and the Hollywood backlot. Now that they have all of it, hopefully Tomorrowland is now on the top of their to do list.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I see too much merchandise still. Kick it out and restore the arcade to its former full space!

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    It's unbelievable "K-Mart Special land" has gone on for 15 years, now!

Makes you realize just how bureaucratic the company is.

Procrastination and Internal Politics is their game.

( quote from someone about Tony Baxter*s unhappiness with the currant TL...and how he could not get a budget to fix it..)

Now he has a new role called "Advisor" ....

I was pondering this just a week or so ago...about why DLs Tomorrowland is still sitting there, in the state it has been in for some time.

Why is no one within the company interested in fixing this? Is it that hated a area, or is there just no real interest these days in doing anything *futuristic*?

It is too bad Tony and his team were not able to make the 1998 refurb of TL into what they originally wanted. Value-Engineering got in the way sadly. Perhaps some day that will be corrected, and perhaps some of his old ideas will be looked at with different eyes.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Figments Friend View Post
    Why is no one within the company interested in fixing this? Is it that hated a area, or is there just no real interest these days in doing anything *futuristic*?
    They can never make the excuse of a lack of funds. When they are spending some 1.5 billion on this NextGen technology for WDW. And the billions it cost them to acquire Marvel and now Lucas Film. No one was holding a gun to their head - "You have to buy Marvel and Lucas Film!"

And it can't be that there is a lack of anything futuristic, in the heads of various creative types. Just thumb threw just one imagineer .. who has a website. And look at his futuristic "Blue Sky" art pieces - ScotDrake.com And then there's his stuff commissioned through Disney that he cannot show on his website - Imagineering's Guide to Creativity and Innovation - Scot Drake | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - and click "Newer" (direction - left) ... to proceeding images of the August 2011 D23 Expo panel.

The top ranking executives .... such as Iger .... Don't think it's a priority. It's pretty obvious in their actions.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast