• The Lucky Rabbit

A Gluten Free Epiphany At The Blue Bayou

I still look forward to posting a trip report from the end of February but just in case any readers are Gluten Free we learned the following.

If you have a Gluten Free member of your party and you email Disneyland Dining or call at least a week ahead with your Blue Bayou Reservation, the Chef's can order Gluten free batter and bread to make a Gluten Free Monte Cristo.

I did not see this posted anywhere so I thought this would be useful information.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

Re: A Gluten Free Epiphany At The Blue Bayou

Cool, that's great news for my friend who is celiac!

Thanks!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Wow good info! I still think that they should just keep the bread on hand for other places that serve the monte cristo, or just sandwiches in general and actually have a sign that says "we offer gluten free bread" or something to that effect so that if someone is reading a menu or board, they aren't discouraged from getting something with bread.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Chief Troublemaker

I had heard that before. Never had one, though. I just can't see paying $25.00 for a sandwich, even a GF Monte Cristo. May be someday I'll try it.

BTW, we're you able to get the GF list from City Hall? When I was there 3 weeks ago I was told they were no longer giving them for 'legal reasons'. I wrote to complain & just got the generic 'thank you for your concern' email.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The Lucky Rabbit

I agree with what you are saying. By the way the Gluten free bread at Carthay Circle blows always the Gluten free bread at Blue Bayou (talking about dinner rolls here). A significant difference in quality.

My gluten free friend had hers from a year ago so we didn't try getting a new one. Also even though we were told we could ask for recipes of the food directly from the Chefs. Disney has been less then helpful sending any recipes I requested so far.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

• New Member Goes Forth

Thank you for the information
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Wished I lived closer!

REALLY!!!! This makes me so excited. I assumed my chances of ever trying a Monte Cristo were slim to none. I wonder if they would do this at the Café Orleans? I will have to call and find out since going to the Blue Bayou is not in our plans... Also, would anyone be willing to email me a copy of the GF list? I had one when we went in 2010 but assumed I could just get another one the next time I visited. Looks like this is not the case...boo.

• The Lucky Rabbit

Just wanted to do a quick update that Disney different Chef's at Disney have been getting back to me and sending the recipes I originally asked for. What I have learned so far is that some Chef's give you the list of ingredients and others will actually send you the preparation and cooking process to which is very cool. I know in the old days when your asked for a Recipe at Town Hall they were more uniform but now it is up to the Chef de Cuisine and the specific eatery to email you back directly. I know Disney can be busy but I am glad they were able to take time out the schedule to get back to me so I could forward the information to my group members who needed it for their dietary logs.

@joannaorange If not one else has the GF list I will see if my friend still has hers and scan it for MiceChat. However since it is no longer updated from what others have said I would still tread cautiously and ask to speak to the Chef at the eatery to get an exact answer for health reasons.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by OswaldTheRabbit View Post
    Just wanted to do a quick update that Disney different Chef's at Disney have been getting back to me and sending the recipes I originally asked for. What I have learned so far is that some Chef's give you the list of ingredients and others will actually send you the preparation and cooking process to which is very cool. I know in the old days when your asked for a Recipe at Town Hall they were more uniform but now it is up to the Chef de Cuisine and the specific eatery to email you back directly. I know Disney can be busy but I am glad they were able to take time out the schedule to get back to me so I could forward the information to my group members who needed it for their dietary logs.

@joannaorange If not one else has the GF list I will see if my friend still has hers and scan it for MiceChat. However since it is no longer updated from what others have said I would still tread cautiously and ask to speak to the Chef at the eatery to get an exact answer for health reasons.

Even an older list would be nice. At least we would be able to look at an eatery and maybe see a couple of dishes that sound good & could 'hope' they're still GF. I just don't like 'flying blind'. When I was there in Feb, I had to wait an average of 10-15 minutes for a chef to come out to tell me what they had that was GF. Then add to that the 10-15 extra minutes prep time for a GF meal and what used to take 10 minutes more (pre-choosing my meal from a printed list & having the chef prepare it) now takes 20-30 minutes more.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The Lucky Rabbit

@Stormy I understand what you mean. We had one GF member of our group and on average it was about an additional 10-15 minutes for the Chef to come out. And I do understand the frustration that they no longer hand out the list and will not tell you GF items over the phone or email. The paradox I find is that if you know the GF food you want you can email ahead of time (specifically for places that take reservations) and you won't have to wait any added time. So its weird that they can't tell you but if you know exactly what exists they can take care of it (such as the GF Monte Cristo). Anyway like I said I will try getting a copy from my GF friend and uploading it for you guys.