Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Out of place characters

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Why is it that they have no problem with having the Fantasyland characters ANYWHERE in the park, but you never see TL characters in Frontierland, Main Street or Critter Country?
    Because FL characters are sort of default disney so they have free reign I guess?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Why is it that they have no problem with having the Fantasyland characters ANYWHERE in the park, but you never see TL characters in Frontierland, Main Street or Critter Country?
    Since when did Alice, Peter Pan, the Mad Hatter, Snow White, Pinocchio etc start appearing in Frontierland, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Toon Town and Critter Country?

I have never seen something like this and think that you're probably overreacting at least more than a little. This is a world of imagination anyway. Just pretend that Baloo was an accidental stow away after a time traveling trip to his jungle. Now he's lost and needs your help to find his way home

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Seed and Mulch

Disneyland 1969 at the entrance to Tomorrowland.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post

Man oh man you are right look at all those people!!!! They aren't theme appropiate! Sorry I couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post

This one makes a lot more sense. There is a backstage area right there where one can often see characters making their way from backstage to fantasyland.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderWolf2010 View Post
    Wait until the Marvel characters start to show up. Then its going to feel REALLY out of place...
    Ahh yes Ironman...a man in a suit of armor that can fly and has a computer in with and shoots laser not for Tommorrowland...right

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    I was in Disneyland yesterday and me and my friends were on the way to space mountain when i came across a strange sight...Ballo from a jungle book in tommorowland??????? the worst part is guests dident care they were takeing pictures and getting his autograph but personally i was furious i even saw goofy outside of autopia and he was in his normal costume!! this just really made me upset because it ruins the whole tommorwland theme.
    If people were enjoying it, what's the big deal? I saw Mickey Mouse once on Main Street and I didn't think to myself "How dare people be enjoying seeing Mickey Mouse? There were no oversized talking rodents roaming the streets in old-timey America!"

Also, what exactly is the theming of Tomorrowland? I haven't been able to figure out the connection of driving stinky cars, Microsoft products, toys and something that takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    This one makes a lot more sense. There is a backstage area right there where one can often see characters making their way from backstage to fantasyland.
    Is it possible that this is also what happened with Baloo/Goofy? They were on their way somewhere else, but were stopped by guests and didn't exactly want to refuse? I don't really know the context of the picture taken by the OP, although I do think it's weird as I've never seen anything like this happen before.

•   
    • Minion

I'm honestly OK with this. I think it's fun to see the characters in their lands, but it is not an absolute for me. None of the characters who appear on Main Street really would have been found in an early 20th century American town...what is the difference between Maleficent hanging out in Main Street during Halloween and Baloo in Tomorrowland?

I'm wondering if this was logistics. If they tried to have characters show up in Adventureland outside of Aladdin's Oasis it would be an absolute nightmare because of how tight the space is. Also, perhaps he was on his way to the Motorboat Cruise area? I've seen a lot of different characters there.

• Certified in everything

You aren't overreacting at all... well maybe a little bit, but your core point is valid. This character encounter seems most like a modern day version of the old Walt seeing a cowboy in Tomorrowland story (or was it a spaceman in Frontierland? ).

Why is Baloo not in featured in Star Tours? Because theme is important to that story. Why doesn't Baloo belong in Tomorrowland? Because theme is important to the story being told in that land. If you are of the camp that thinks Baloo shouldn't be in Star Tours but is okay to exist in Tomorrowland, then you place a much greater importance on theme congruence within an attraction, and place virtually no importance on theme congruence within a land. That is fine, but what then is to separate a park like Disneyland from Universal Studios (where theme is only emphasized within individual attractions)?

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    If people were enjoying it, what's the big deal? I saw Mickey Mouse once on Main Street and I didn't think to myself "How dare people be enjoying seeing Mickey Mouse? There were no oversized talking rodents roaming the streets in old-timey America!"

Also, what exactly is the theming of Tomorrowland? I haven't been able to figure out the connection of driving stinky cars, Microsoft products, toys and something that takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you are of this "what's the big deal" camp, then what's the big deal with putting a spaceman in Frontierland? Why even have lands at all? As long as people seem to enjoy it... right? (remember, that people also enjoy the county fair, they just don't pay $100 to enter it).

I'm not sure of your point about Tomorrowland. What is Fantasyland but a land about flying elephants, sailing around the world and princesses?

Just because the Tomorrowland theme is imperfect (which is where I agree with you) doesn't mean we should abandon it, does it? Wouldn't a better solution be to strive to improve it?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• keh!

It is not that serious to make someone furious. Yes, it is an odd choice, but why let it bother you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    the worst part is guests dident care they were takeing pictures and getting his autograph but personally i was furious
    That's the worst part? Are guests expected to boo and jeer until Baloo cowers and heads for backstage? Let them enjoy seeing a character they like.

I get more upset by all of the out of place merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    Is it possible that this is also what happened with Baloo/Goofy? They were on their way somewhere else, but were stopped by guests and didn't exactly want to refuse? I don't really know the context of the picture taken by the OP, although I do think it's weird as I've never seen anything like this happen before.
    Not really, no. The backstage area I was referring to is a wedge of space behind Star Tours. The Baloo photo is in front of Space Mountain, quite a distance from that area. Also, I only ever see Fantasyland characters come from this area as Fantasyland and Tomorrowland entrances are right next to each other. Baloo would be an Adventureland character, which is nowhere near Tomorrowland. I can't think of a logical reason why Baloo would be there.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skratch addict View Post
    Well, with the word "furious", yes I do think youre overreacting.

You think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast