Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tomorrowland speedramp?

Every time im in the starcade, i see the unused speed ramp. What was it for? Is it going to be used in the future?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Tomorrowland speedramp?

It was access to the second floor of the Starcade which pretty much consisted of more arcade games. The Starcade was originally a huge two story arcade. Is it going to be used in the future? I don't know. One can only hope!

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

Jump to the 2:25 mark. The Peoplemover used to pass through this building. It gave riders a peek at Star Tours, The Startrader, The Starcade, and Space Mountain.

Disneyland-Peoplemover Thru the World of Tron-Sept. 1990. The Whole Ride. Part 1 - YouTube

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

And a cool pic of the 2nd floor here:

Tomorrowland Starcade Escalator???

• Artistic integrity

Newer ADA requirements rendered those escalators obsolete.

Until Disney decide to build in an elevator, and wider escalators ... Access is denied.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.

• Boat shoes all day long

This arcade used to be insane! The 2nd story had upwards of 10 futuristic motorcycles lined up side-by-side in a dueling game. Remember the bottom level had that one space game that you had to pay, like, eight bucks for and it spun around while you were fully enclosed? There was a worker there to make sure you were being safe and held people back with a velvet rope? Classic.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Are you sure it's ADA related? The same escalator systems run at both Space Mountain and the People mover in Florida where no elevators exist as an alternate.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    Are you sure it's ADA related? The same escalator systems run at both Space Mountain and the People mover in Florida where no elevators exist as an alternate.
    The laws vary state to state. They are tougher here in California.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    The keyword there is Florida. California has some of the strictest ADA requirements in the nation. Florida does not. It is definitely an ADA building code. Someone else was talking about how the people mover lost it's grandfathered status in a recent thread. So it would make sense.

• Artistic integrity

Has anyone noticed ... Tomorrowland does not have one single speedramp today!

Counting them up ... in the good old days

* Monorail had two - Entry and Exit
    * Space Mountain had three - At the main entrance - Down & Up. And one Exit ramp
    * Adventure Thru Inner Space had one. It was lateral and short, just a "guide" right on to an Atomobile
    * Carousel of Progress had one - Taking you upstairs to see Progress City
    * Peoplemover had two - One Entry, One Exit
    * Starcade had the two we are referring to.

A total of 11 speedramps at one time or another ....

Now it's concrete ramp land. Or those old fashion things called stairs.

Tomorrowland has taken a step backwards.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    The laws vary state to state. They are tougher here in California.

No offense but couldn't disney easily comply with these ADA requirements by opening the doors too the second floor starcade onto the roof of space mountain? They could easily allow wheelchair access this way though the space mountain entrance.

idk disney could honestly throw in a temp wheel chair elevator too (like goofys skyschool, autopia)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Has anyone noticed ... Tomorrowland does not have one single speedramp today!

Counting them up ... in the good old days

* Monorail had two - Entry and Exit
    * Space Mountain had three - At the main entrance - Down & Up. And one Exit ramp
    * Adventure Thru Inner Space had one. It was lateral and short, just a "guide" right on to an Atomobile
    * Carousel of Progress had one - Taking you upstairs to see Progress City
    * Peoplemover had two - One Entry, One Exit
    * Starcade had the two we are referring to.

A total of 11 speedramps at one time or another ....

Now it's concrete ramp land. Or those old fashion things called stairs.

Tomorrowland has taken a step backwards.
    Couldn't agree with you more, bring back the speed ramps, there awesome (love haunted mansions) is that the only one left?

Ive been too WDW when i lived on the east cost and they have an awesome people mover with speed ramps galor

Who knows what disney has in plan for the future of tommorowland. I can only hope its something awesome. theres allot of useful space above the magic eye theater, I would love it if there could be some speed ramps up the middle of space mountain again.

Man would I love me some speed ramps. Tomorrowland used to be awesome, people mover, second floor starcade, speed ramps for space mountain.

disney what have you done? Go back to your roots when you redo tomorrow land.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 03-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.

• Johnny and Me!

I know that part of the second floor is being used as a stockroom for the Star Trader.

The Speedramps can't be in very good shape after sitting for so long without maintenance.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    No offense but couldn't disney easily comply with these ADA requirements by opening the doors too the second floor starcade onto the roof of space mountain? They could easily allow wheelchair access this way though the space mountain entrance.
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

But in the FOURTEEN years the second floor has been shut ... they've never done that. There may be some reason why they haven't done that. They've had 14 years to do something, and ........... nothing!

Who knows what disney has in plan for the future of tommorowland. I can only hope its something awesome.
    You and me, both! Not to mention millions of others, wondering, and waiting. I've only been waiting since WDI first sat down to come up with a New Tomorrowland plan.

That was 1981! (Shelved. 2nd try - "TL:2055" .. shelved. 3rd try "TL:98" - They might as well shelved that!)

Waiting for that 4th try!
    MY SIGNATURE:

• And Dad was my hero.

I believe they will do something completely innovative in Tomorrowland... Eventually.

I think the biggest problem they face is that so many people have a different idea of what a better tomorrow looks like. I'm sure it's all been said before but it's worth repeating.

For some a better future means a healthier happier cleaner earth, more utopian, less monsanto (oh the irony). For others the dark side is intriguing and are interested in fleshing out dystopian SciFi adventures. For many it's more of a place they want to see real science featured. For even more still, they are most interested in restoring Tomorrowland's best yesteryear offerings, in a retro way that honors the best we had to offer before.

In my mind all of this has it's place. I think what we will see is a little bit of all of it because it makes for good storytelling, which is in my mind the whole point. I think the starcade and the peoplemover may very well be a part of a new Tomorrowland but not like their current incarnations at all. Which is good right?

Disneyland 1967: I'd love to write something but am short on time, like many others. I used to work in politics and with city planning. I think you're best bet is to write a form letter and then offer it up here (and wherever else) and let others send just that signed or add what they want. It's typically the best way to get the most impact.

Sorry that probably should have been in the Peoplemover thread. It's all so interconnected to me though.

• Sock Puppet

I miss the Tomorrowland speed ramps. The staircases and static ramps that gradually replaced them always seemed like a cheap cop-out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast