Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    It is true that McDonald's and Starbucks are different than the other brands listed. The brands that were listed are all simply brands of food or drink, they are not franchises like McDonald's or Starbucks.
    There is a big difference between a food or drink location in Disneyland being SPONSORED by a brand and an actual franchise being placed inside Disneyland.
    To me Starbucks on Main Street is analogous to McDonald's inside the Harbor Galley or the fry cart in Frontierland.
    Exactly. There was a thread a few years back about Burger Invasion in DCA, which was basically a McDonalds franchise, and the hue and cry about that was deafening. All kinds of people angry about a franchise or chain in the parks. Kinda funny really that Starbucks is ok but McDonalds was not. Here are a few choice posts:
    Yes and thankfully McDonalds will not be involved. I'm sorry, but as much as it needs to be made into a useable area again, it does not need the corporate sponsorship of anything, esp. a McDonalds. There's a Mickey D's on Harbor across from the park, thats as close as anything McDonalds should ever be to the park.
    I am glad to see it go. I don't agree with outside food chains in any amusement park (Panda Express and Johnny Rocket's in Knotts comes to mind more then Mc D's in Disney...) I feel it is a complete break in both theme and experience. To me it is on the same level as an arcade... you can go to [insert food chain here] or play [insert arcade game here] without paying admission to be in the park... so why bother?
    Disneyland should have special food that is not easily accessible anywhere else. By attaching it to a worldwide chain, it feels more like brands are being sold as compared to quality experience.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the issue here is simply that Starbucks already exists outside the park in stand-alone locations. Correct?

If so, I'd like to point out that the Starbucks that are in the parks are not standalone. They have a side area within existing stores. They didn't take over The Pig Restaurant. This place still sells it's own food and beverages. Same for The Market House. It's not going to be called Starbucks. It's still going to be The Market House and it will still sell the majority of the same stuff it always did. It's just that it will now have a Starbucks counter off to the side.

On that note, The Dole Whip cart only sells Dole products. It's not a popcorn cart that also sells whips. Why does this get a pass but not a glorified concession stand within an existing location?
    Let me ask you this, what will the majority of guests be going to the Pig cafe or the Market House for? Starbucks, plain and simple. They may as well be stand alone locations. And as has been mentioned before there are no Dole Whip stands on every corner. Heck, you can't even buy the Dole Whip mixture in stores.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    This, I know. The point I was making is that The Market house is not going to be re-purposed into a Starbucks. When McDonald's took over Harbor Galley they served McD's product exclusively.

As I stated previously; Starbucks in The Market House will be a glorified concession stand. Not a full-service location.
    What makes you think that? The Market house is primarily a coffee location. It will be a Starbucks under a different name selling Starbucks coffee. Just as Harbor Galley was a McDonald's under a different name selling McDonald's food.
    Either way, this really has nothing to do with my point. There are not Dole Whip stands, Coca-Cola stores, Carnation restaurants, Frito-Lay drive-thrus or Sunkist juice bars on every street corner. The comparison doesn't work.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    How about McDonalds in the parks?
    A fair point. The biggest counterargument I can make is that unlike the situation with McDonalds, introducing Starbucks to Disneyland actually represents a step up in quality from the previous offerings, beyond simply the benefits of introducing an immediately recognizable brand to Disney's food selection. Whenever I smelled the greasy McDonalds fry cart smell in Magic Kingdom's Frontierland, I always recoiled in disgust inside. It felt it was like it was shoehorned in purely for the name recognition, whereas Starbucks was likely brought in more specifically to address complaints with Disney's lackluster coffee.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    A fair point. The biggest counterargument I can make is that unlike the situation with McDonalds, introducing Starbucks to Disneyland actually represents a step up in quality from the previous offerings, beyond simply the benefits of introducing an immediately recognizable brand to Disney's food selection. Whenever I smelled the greasy McDonalds fry cart smell in Magic Kingdom's Frontierland, I always recoiled in disgust inside. It felt it was like it was shoehorned in purely for the name recognition, whereas Starbucks was likely brought in more specifically to address complaints with Disney's lackluster coffee.
    100 times this.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    When I see the same complaints for Dole™ Whips, Coca Cola™, Carnation™ Cafe or Yesterland complaints about the Carnation™ Ice Cream Parlor, Sunkist™ Citrus House, Coca Cola™ Terrace Stage and Casa De Fritos™ then I'll think that those who are against this have a point.
    Amen.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

So the people who are against this are against this because Starbucks is popular? Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    So the people who are against this are against this because Starbucks is popular? Am I correct?
    No, have you read the entire thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Some will argue that McDonalds was a step up in quality in the hamburger dept at Disneyland. McDonalds fries are way better than Disneylands fries that's for sure.
    Also, and Starbucks doesn't have name recognition? I agree Disney's coffee was probably sludge but they could have gone another route than Starbucks, convince me that it wasn't name recognition.
    Last edited by Disneymike; 03-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.

• Minion

No, have you read the entire thread?
    I've read the majority of it. I based my conclusion on people saying you can find Starbucks on every corner, aka, Starbucks is popular. Clearly its popularity isn't the only reason, but it looks like it's one of them.

Really, I can only think of two reasons to be against Starbucks on Main Street. First, it doesn't fit the time period that main street is trying to get across. Second, the coffee is just not that good. If you want to learn how to make good tasting coffee, check out Sweet Maria's website. However, when it comes time to find breakfast, Starbucks wins me over with their good enough pastries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Really, I can only think of two reasons to be against Starbucks on Main Street. First, it doesn't fit the time period that main street is trying to get across. Second, the coffee is just not that good. If you want to learn how to make good tasting coffee, check out Sweet Maria's website. However, when it comes time to find breakfast, Starbucks wins me over with their good enough pastries.
    Many of the things sold on Main Street don't fit the time period. I do agree with you on Starbucks' coffee. Well, I don't drink coffee anyway, but I do drink hot chocolate. Starbucks' hot chocolate tastes like it's made with water. Their strawberry fraps aren't that great either. I MUCH prefer Coffee Bean. Coffee Bean is yummy and much better than Starbucks, IMO. I love breakfast at Starbucks, though. Their sandwiches are so good. Still, Coffee Bean over Starbucks, but I'm not opposed at all at the idea of Starbucks in the parks.

I've read the majority of it. I based my conclusion on people saying you can find Starbucks on every corner, aka, Starbucks is popular. Clearly its popularity isn't the only reason, but it looks like it's one of them.
    The main contention is that some of us don't like chain or franchise entity's coming into Disneyland. Just like Knott's and Magic Mountain. Once the first comes in then who knows how many come in. Disneyland is supposed to be unique, when franchises or chains make their way in, Disneyland starts to become just like all the others. Look at Main Street for example, tell me it isn't becoming a mini mall. Half of the east side will become Starbucks while the rest is just generic Disney store crud. The Penny Arcade has already been turned into an extension of the Candy Palace. Disneyana will be crammed in to the Gallery for the sake of Starbucks, there is NOTHING special about Main Street any more. And for what? Because some people NEED their Starbucks? Stick Starbucks in DTD and if someone is jonesing for Starbucks come and get it.

• Minion

The main contention is that some of us don't like chain or franchise entity's coming into Disneyland. Just like Knott's and Magic Mountain. Once the first comes in then who knows how many come in. Disneyland is supposed to be unique, when franchises or chains make their way in, Disneyland starts to become just like all the others. Look at Main Street for example, tell me it isn't becoming a mini mall. Half of the east side will become Starbucks while the rest is just generic Disney store crud. The Penny Arcade has already been turned into an extension of the Candy Palace. Disneyana will be crammed in to the Gallery for the sake of Starbucks, there is NOTHING special about Main Street any more. And for what? Because some people NEED their Starbucks? Stick Starbucks in DTD and if someone is jonesing for Starbucks come and get it.
    I could understand people's disappointment with brands inside the parks, if there were never brands in the parks from the beginning. Brands have been present inside Disneyland since opening day, though, so I don't understand why people are making a big fuss over it now.

As far as the rest of Main Street goes, yes, it's unfortunate that Disney is money-hungry and greedy, but really what corporate company isn't? Disney is here to make money, and although there are lots of shops on Main Street, I can still suspend reality.

I could understand people's disappointment with brands inside the parks, if there were never brands in the parks from the beginning. Brands have been present inside Disneyland since opening day, though, so I don't understand why people are making a big fuss over it now.

As far as the rest of Main Street goes, yes, it's unfortunate that Disney is money-hungry and greedy, but really what corporate company isn't? Disney is here to make money, and although there are lots of shops on Main Street, I can still suspend reality.
    And so you accept the money hungry corporation? When too much of the outside world starts to creep in to Disneyland, how much can you suspend reality? When does it end when all of a sudden there is a Starbucks on Main Street, USA? Then who knows, Plaza Pavilion turns into an IHOP and Disney Showcase becomes a Hello Kitty outlet. Yes, I may be over exaggerating here but it could happen.
    And it is not brands that is the point of contention here, brands have been in Disneyland since the start. It is the franchise or chain brands that are in contention here. There is a big difference between Dole sponsoring the Tiki Room and Starbucks taking over the Market House AND Disneyana.
    Last edited by Disneymike; 03-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast