Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    And so you accept the money hungry corporation? When too much of the outside world starts to creep in to Disneyland, how much can you suspend reality? When does it end when all of a sudden there is a Starbucks on Main Street, USA? Then who knows, Plaza Pavilion turns into an IHOP and Disney Showcase becomes a Hello Kitty outlet. Yes, I may be over exaggerating here but it could happen.
    Again, the outside world has been present inside Disneyland since July 17th, 1955. It's not like there was one brand inside the park at the beginning. Too much of the outside world? Besides Starbucks, what are the other obvious franchises in the parks that I can't think of? I bet there were more obvious franchises present in the park when Walt Disney was alive. There were multiple brands and Disney himself INVITED and allowed outside products to be served in his park. I'm sorry, but a Hello Kitty store and an IHOP are far-fetched. Then again, there was an Aunt Jemima (oh look...another brand) pancake house inside the park when it first opened. An IHOP is unlikely.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Again, the outside world has been present inside Disneyland since July 17th, 1955. It's not like there was one brand inside the park at the beginning. Too much of the outside world? Besides Starbucks, what are the other obvious franchises in the parks that I can't think of? I bet there were more obvious franchises present in the park when Walt Disney was alive. There were multiple brands and Disney himself INVITED and allowed outside products to be served in his park. I'm sorry, but a Hello Kitty store and an IHOP are far-fetched. Then again, there was an Aunt Jemima (oh look...another brand) pancake house inside the park when it first opened. An IHOP is unlikely.
    Once again, you are confusing brands with franchises. There were all kinds of brands back in Walt's day but how many franchises were there? Don Defore never had a bbq joint on every corner. Neither did Aunt Jemima. How many Starbucks are on every corner? Was there a Dole Whip store? No. How about a Fritos store? No. Sponsorship of a restaurant and having a chain come in and plow their wares is TOTALLY different.
    You say an IHOP is unlikely? Alot of people said a Starbucks was unlikely years ago as well.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Once again, you are confusing brands with franchises. There were all kinds of brands back in Walt's day but how many franchises were there? Don Defore never had a bbq joint on every corner. Neither did Aunt Jemima. How many Starbucks are on every corner? Was there a Dole Whip store? No. How about a Fritos store? No. Sponsorship of a restaurant and having a chain come in and plow their wares is TOTALLY different.
    You say an IHOP is unlikely? Alot of people said a Starbucks was unlikely years ago as well.
    Brands, franchises... They're still products of what's outside of Disneyland's berm. You don't want to see outside products in Disneyland. Whether it's a brand or a franchise, it's still exists outside of Disneyland, so why can we, or you excuse brands, but not franchises? Because most franchises are stores? It's a double standard.

Starbucks: A coffee franchise that sells different kinds of drinks and snacks. IHOP: a pancake house franchise that sells different kinds of food, with a large menu. There's no comparison, and I bet you honestly don't see an IHOP coming to Disneyland.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 03-28-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Brands, franchises... They're still products of what's outside of Disneyland's berm. You don't want to see outside products in Disneyland. Whether it's a brand or a franchise, it's still exists outside of Disneyland, so why can we excuse brands, but not franchises? Because most franchises are stores? It's a double standard.

Starbucks: A coffee franchise that sells different kinds of drinks and snacks. IHOP: a pancake house that sells different kinds of food, with a large menu. There's no comparison, and I bet you honestly don't see an IHOP coming to Disneyland.
    Ok, how about this. Brands: Dole - Sells Whips at the Tiki Room. Where does Dole have a retail outlet that sells Whips? Nowhere. Franchise: Starbucks - sells coffee drinks at 13,279 stores in the US alone. Brands: Carnation - has a restaurant in Disneyland, where else does Carnation have a dining location? Nowhere. Franchise: McDonalds - as of two years ago there were 13,381 franchises in the US alone. McDonalds was in the parks before thankfully being shown the door a few years ago. Brands:Nestle/Jofferys coffee - sold in Disneyland. No franchises or chains that I can think of.
    Can you see the trend here? Sponsorships just sponsor a location. Franchises, which are prevalent in today's society and are on every corner, take a location and basically turn it into a standalone, whether anyone want's to believe it or not. Would you want Papa John's to take over Pizza Port? What do you think Johnny Rockets in Knotts is? How about Panda Express in Magic Mountain? Those are franchises, not sponsors.
    Starbucks: A coffee franchise that sells different kinds of drinks and snacks. IHOP: a pancake house that sells different kinds of food, with a large menu. There's no comparison, and I bet you honestly don't see an IHOP coming to Disneyland
    How is there no comparison? No, I don't see an IHOP coming to Disneyland but you can never tell.....

• Minion

Ok, how about this. Brands: Dole - Sells Whips at the Tiki Room. Where does Dole have a retail outlet that sells Whips? Nowhere. Franchise: Starbucks - sells coffee drinks at 13,279 stores in the US alone. Brands: Carnation - has a restaurant in Disneyland, where else does Carnation have a dining location? Nowhere. Franchise: McDonalds - as of two years ago there were 13,381 franchises in the US alone. McDonalds was in the parks before thankfully being shown the door a few years ago. Brands:Nestle/Jofferys coffee - sold in Disneyland. No franchises or chains that I can think of.
    Can you see the trend here? Sponsorships just sponsor a location. Franchises, which are prevalent in today's society and are on every corner, take a location and basically turn it into a standalone, whether anyone want's to believe it or not. Would you want Papa John's to take over Pizza Port? What do you think Johnny Rockets in Knotts is? How about Panda Express in Magic Mountain? Those are franchises, not sponsors.

How is there no comparison? No, I don't see an IHOP coming to Disneyland but you can never tell.....
    But they're still a part of the outside world of Disneyland. Isn't that your point? You don't want the outside to come inside? I can go to my local store and buy Carnation products, Dole products, Coca-Cola products, etc., just like I can go out and buy Starbucks. It's more than sponsoring, their products are being sold in the parks, just like the Starbucks will be. It's not like the Coke Corner just has the Coke name in it, but they don't sell Coke. Why should it matter if they're stores or not, since they're still products of the outside world and things that aren't unique to Disney? Isn't that why you're against Starbucks in Disneyland in the first place? Gibson Girl sells Hagen-Dazs; there's a Hagen-Dazs store not too far from where I live, and I've seen other stores and kiosks. For some reason, no one's complaining about that.

How about we agree to disagree?

Starbucks is both a brand and a franchise. If every Starbucks store closed tomorrow they'd still have a decent business selling coffee beans in supermarkets. Likewise, if markets stopped selling their coffee beans they'd still have thousands of store locations. The only other business I can think of that comes close to being both is Lawrys with their chain of restaurants and seasoning business.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Does the criteria consist of food only? I seem to remember that at least a couple corporations sponsored attractions in Tomorrowland while having franchise stores outside the parks. These would be AT&T and Goodyear.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

When Aunt Jemima's Pancake House opened in Disneyland it was the only one of it's kind. There was no franchise. It was a draw, something special and different... something that might persuade you to go out of your way to visit Disneyland. Later an "Aunt Jemima's Kitchen" chain was created and the Disneyland location was no longer as unique as it had been.
    In 1955 chains and franchises were only just beginning to emerge. In the 1960's Walt Disney could have opened a Kentucky Fried Chicken or a McDonald's or a Denny's inside Disneyland, but he didn't. I would think that he would have thought of those restaurants as too commonplace and contemporary to have any place inside Disneyland. I could of course be totally wrong about that.

• Sock Puppet

But they're still a part of the outside world of Disneyland. Isn't that your point? You don't want the outside to come inside? I can go to my local store and buy Carnation products, Dole products, Coca-Cola products, etc., just like I can go out and buy Starbucks. It's more than sponsoring, their products are being sold in the parks, just like the Starbucks will be. It's not like the Coke Corner just has the Coke name in it, but they don't sell Coke. Why should it matter if they're stores or not, since they're still products of the outside world and things that aren't unique to Disney? Isn't that why you're against Starbucks in Disneyland in the first place? Gibson Girl sells Hagen-Dazs; there's a Hagen-Dazs store not too far from where I live, and I've seen other stores and kiosks. For some reason, no one's complaining about that.

How about we agree to disagree?
    The Häagen-Dazs ice cream sold in the parks is not sold to customers in a cup featuring the Häagen-Dazs logo. Likewise Coca-Cola products are not sold in cups featuring the iconic Coca-Cola logo. These products are sold in generic Disneyland or "Disney Parks" containers. As far as I've seen the drinks sold at Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe are served in cups prominently featuring the Starbucks logo. I think this is an important distinction to make. It appears likely that the locations selling Starbucks coffee in the Disneyland Resort are definitely meant to be seen as Starbucks locations, not locations that happen to be selling Starbucks branded coffee.

They're not typical Starbucks cups, they're dual branded with both the Disney Parks logo and the Starbucks logo. In all honesty the Disney Parks logo bothers me more than the Starbucks logo. When I see the mermaid I just think coffee. When I see Disney Parks I think stupid corporate mentality that is hurting the parks.

Also, is the Coke logo no longer on Disney cups? I had always thought that as part of their deal with Disney they got their logo on all the cups similar to how Kodak used to have their logo on all the maps. I remember it being fairly prominent on the 50th anniversary cups.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    The Häagen-Dazs ice cream sold in the parks is not sold to customers in a cup featuring the Häagen-Dazs logo. Likewise Coca-Cola products are not sold in cups featuring the iconic Coca-Cola logo. These products are sold in generic Disneyland or "Disney Parks" containers. As far as I've seen the drinks sold at Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe are served in cups prominently featuring the Starbucks logo. I think this is an important distinction to make. It appears likely that the locations selling Starbucks coffee in the Disneyland Resort are definitely meant to be seen as Starbucks locations, not locations that happen to be selling Starbucks branded coffee.
    When Sunkist was in the park, the juice was sold in styrofoam cups featuring the Sunkist logo. Not one mention of Disney on them at all. And this was during Walt's days too.

And by the way to set the record straight IIRC the Gibson Girl (ironic that this was the old Citrus House) sells Dreyers Ice Cream and not Häagen-Dasz.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    FFP doesn't look like this at all. It's a cafe that sells food - with a Starbucks counter taking up a part of the establishment. Even the signage on the outside is minimal.

Where I live, Starbucks has very few standalone stores. They are mostly contained to malls and the inside of grocery stores. It's not like it's a Starbucks that also sells groceries. It's the other way around.
    Last edited by 4th Gen Disney Fan; 03-29-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   

Ok, how about this. Brands: Dole - Sells Whips at the Tiki Room. Where does Dole have a retail outlet that sells Whips? Nowhere.
    Sure they do! And they have more flavors, too. Strawberry, orange, vanilla and chocolate in addition to the delicious pineapple. And not just in Hawaii, there's a couple here on the Mainland, too.

You know what I miss? The Hills Brothers Coffee House. That place was great.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkMonorail View Post
    Sure they do! And they have more flavors, too. Strawberry, orange, vanilla and chocolate in addition to the delicious pineapple. And not just in Hawaii, there's a couple here on the Mainland, too.

You know what I miss? The Hills Brothers Coffee House. That place was great.
    I've never seen them, at least in the Raleys, Bel Airs, or Safeways here in Sacramento.

•   

I think those are supermarkets, so they wouldn't be there. These are freestanding shops, like Haagen-Dazs or Baskin Robbins. Less number of flavors available, but that's not a bad thing. Heck, look at In n Out (which I would have loved to see go into Burger Invasion).
    In addition to the Dole places, there's a new spot here in LA that DELIVERS Dole Whips: HOME - A WebsiteBuilder Website
    You're welcome and I apologize.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast