Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

At this point, I'm not liking this. I live here in So. Cal. where there's already a Starbucks on every corner. Personally, I liked the coffee at The Market House. I wonder if it means all the Disney Coffee with those old school Disney characters on the packaging will ALSO disappear.
    There goes the free refills with the receipt! On the other hand, corporate sponsorship and partnership has always been a part of Disneyland.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Weather you feel it or not, it's still a theme park and the rules should still apply.
    Who's rules? I go by my own rules when it comes to Disneyland. Do the same rules apply to Magic Mountain or Knotts? I hear all kinds of people complaining about Johnny Rockets in Knotts and its a theme park as well. Do you feel away from the outside world when in Magic Mountain? I sure don't.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    You never did answer the question. Oh, and by the way not everybody has to feel the same way you do about theme parks.
    You're right, I didn't answer.

Yep, I do feel distant from reality when I'm at Six Flags. And Knotts (their western area surpasses Frontierland in pretty much all ways). And USH (their western section also surpasses Frontierland). I don't think I have to keep going.

It's not about how I feel, it's the general consensus and idea of a theme park.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

When I posted a notice about 5 pages back, I requested members keep things respectful and not to personally mock others. This has largely happened in terms of civility of discussion, so thank you all.

However, a few posts did have to be removed from this evening that started to veer off track. As I said in my initial notice: Off-topic personal slams from now on will be investigated and removed from this thread in order to keep discussion flowing in a constructive way.

Please keep things moving forward and avoid personal diversions or posting images that degrade others.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

It could have been a win-win-win if SB was placed out in DTD.
    As an avid Starbucks fan and AP holder, I would never go out to DTD in the middle of the day to get Starbucks. If it wasn't on the way to or from the tram, I wouldn't go there. Having it in the park is far more convenient.

• Banned User

It could have been a win-win-win if SB was placed out in DTD.
    Actually when the rumors of SB coming to DLR, I assumed like most thats where it was going. It would make sense since at the time DTD didnt have any real coffee shops and a great place to soak up people with the usual SB coffee shop.

But it sounds like SB wanted to be directly in the parks, so thats what happened. And remember they are going in ALL the American parks--all six of them. So it sound like the compromise was ok, but just as long as they are themed to the parks they are in, not the other way around. I think thats fine personnally obviously, but being in DTD wouldve been fine as well.

The more I think about it, it is a bit odd there arent any real coffee shops in DTD? I wonder why? I know there was one in Compass books, but it was tiny and not much of a seating area. Seem like DTD would benefit from having one...but its obviously not going to be any SB competitor now lol.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 03-30-2013 at 10:40 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disney wanted Starbucks in the parks. Not the other way around. If it Starbucks didn't want to to in they probably would have pursued either the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf or Peet's. Bottom line they wanted a coffee house that could produce better coffee than what they were already offering. And with the volumes required those three establishments would do it the best.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

We need a 7-11 on Main St. Maybe in the Firehouse. That's a dead area.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Actually when the rumors of SB coming to DLR, I assumed like most thats where it was going. It would make sense since at the time DTD didnt have any real coffee shops and a great place to soak up people with the usual SB coffee shop.

But it sounds like SB wanted to be directly in the parks, so thats what happened. And remember they are going in ALL the American parks--all six of them. So it sound like the compromise was ok, but just as long as they are themed to the parks they are in, not the other way around. I think thats fine personnally obviously, but being in DTD wouldve been fine as well.

The more I think about it, it is a bit odd there arent any real coffee shops in DTD? I wonder why? I know there was one in Compass books, but it was tiny and not much of a seating area. Seem like DTD would benefit from having one...but its obviously not going to be any SB competitor now lol.
    Can you imagine the business SB would have had if it was in DTD? People who weren't going to the parks or those poor husbands just waking up with family staying at the Disney hotels?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Not that nescafe was exciting, but SB is boring. And it's *everywhere*. Coming to Disneyland is looking more and more like coming to the local mall. What's the point of spending money to come to a generic mall? I can do that for free, and without the long drive.

If they just switched the beans, I wouldn't be complaining. But it's a total remodel, and it's going to be a SB location, not a cute location that happens to serve SB coffee.
    A mall ... with Space Mountain, the Jungle Cruise, the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribbean, and the Matterhorn?

I hope they have plans for a SB in DTD as well. The resort could support 3 easily.

Thankfully I rarely drink coffee because regardless of what you think about its theme or its appropriateness, it is gonna be a ZOO.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Today's businesses are all about getting their product name out there.

I think that's the crux of what distresses me. "Branding" is *everywhere*. And even at Disney, the ultimate in escapism, I can't escape it.

And the "declining by degrees" comment seems to me to refer to the decline of theme. And it's true that I very much dislike the Johnny Rockets and Panda Express in theme parks. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. And as far as Disney goes, I do expect more than "just the everyday same stuff."

Do I go to Disney just for Main Street? Of course not. But it's the gateway to the magic, and it's the thing you walk down to get to everything else. Sets the tone of the day. So yes, even though it's one little section, in a large park, I still want it to be special.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I was told SB was replacing Holiday... I really like Holiday's latte better (and their blueberry muffins)... but SB for other things influenced by the perpetual receiving of SB gift cards (it is really the lazy gift givers gift of choice these days)... I can see the idea of SB's arrival opening the door to other franchise operations... they seem to fit CA better (in spite of being a Seattle company)... but I imagine it will be made to fit Main Street.
    But then, I was never one to carry the cup for a free refill.

By the way, has anyone had their (SB's) Turkey Reuben sandwich?

I just don't want Main Street to look like all the malls these days, all the same big name brand stores, hmmmm, kind of like Starbucks. I like a little uniqueness. I like the crystal store, the magic shop, the (original) penny arcade, and yes, the old time feel of the coffee store. I think if you start putting in stores that you can find in any mall U.S.A., how will you feel you are any place different and unique, like Disneyland! Walt was all about nostalgia, he loved Lincoln and the old west. He had Main Street built to look like an old fashioned main street, not the Universal Citywalk. He searched out those old gas lamps which are older than the park. I don't want stores on Main Street, where if you blind folded me and bought me in there and un-blindfolded me, I would swear I was in a Starbucks in my home town! Look, any of their food or drink there, isn't that great for you and isn't that great in general but, do you wake up one morning and say, lets for for a great steak dinner and a cup of coffee at D.L? Some times I go there, just to walk around, see the stores, walk down main street, through Frontier Land. I like to get that feeling of stepping back in time, escaping the modern crazy world. I like nostagia, that old world feel. I can look past a Welch's cart or a Mickey doll, inside a store on Main Street. Face it, when you walk in the park, you are faced with Main Street and at the end of it, the castle. They are iconic, leave it be and serve what ever coffee you want, like they do now, but don't put in a Starbucks. SERVE Starbucks coffee, like they serve Coke or Nestle products but, not in a official store. I don't want to see a Nestle Store or Coke Store either. Serve the products without having a store! You know like Coke and Nestle! : >