Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Hopefully it won't be brought back as some kind of "Limited Time Magic" promotion. That is one flavor that I don't think anyone wants to remember nor will they feel nostalgic for.
    Will be sold in Collector's Socks, cause I'm pretty sure thats what Nescafe is filtered through
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• -

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Next step: replace Plaza Pavilion with Olive Garden? Tomorrowland Terrace with Burger King? El Zocolo with Del Taco?
    Hardly the an apples to apples comparison. All the replacements that you are suggesting (does anyone actually consider the Olive Garden good food?) would be a step down from what is already there. This would be an improvement over the Nescafe crap that is currently being served in the Market House.

The Market House is reportedly retaining it's character and charm, only changing the product that it is serving, and for the better. In addition, most of the racks of generic merchandise that is currently being sold there will have to be moved out to allow for more room. I see no negative in this. It's onlly the brand of product being sold that is changing.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Filmmaker

There are a LOT of things that people (Disney management) WANT, that aren't compatible with the Disneyland image. Everybody can't have everything they want and still expect Disneyland to retain it's magic.

People complained in the past when Pressler reduced the park into a glorified mall. This is just another attempt at the same sort of thing. Next step: replace Plaza Pavilion with Olive Garden? Tomorrowland Terrace with Burger King? El Zocolo with Del Taco?

There are a lot of things I can appreciate in their own context. I'll relish the outside world coffee, food, whatever when i get it. But if it all gets shoehorned into Disneyland, then Disneyland isn't special anymore.
    I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction. Disney has always had sponsorship in both their attractions and their food service locations. Previously the coffee was provided by Nescafe which virtually everyone agrees is awful garbage. Now it's being provided by Starbucks which virtually everyone agrees is at least decent, if not good.

This isn't some horrible corporate sell-out. It's merely replacing a crappy coffee sponsor with a better coffee sponsor.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Will be sold in Collector's Socks, cause I'm pretty sure thats what Nescafe is filtered through
    *slow clap*

There are a LOT of things that people (Disney management) WANT, that aren't compatible with the Disneyland image. Everybody can't have everything they want and still expect Disneyland to retain it's magic.

People complained in the past when Pressler reduced the park into a glorified mall. This is just another attempt at the same sort of thing. Next step: replace Plaza Pavilion with Olive Garden? Tomorrowland Terrace with Burger King? El Zocolo with Del Taco?

There are a lot of things I can appreciate in their own context. I'll relish the outside world coffee, food, whatever when i get it. But if it all gets shoehorned into Disneyland, then Disneyland isn't special anymore.

I could understand your concern if this was the same type Starbucks location as in every strip mall, but it's not.

This is not a Starbucks store with art deco furniture and cool jazz music moving in. This is the Market House, still themed to turn of the century Main St. with Starbucks products. Products that people actually want to consume.

Dozens of name brand food products, Fritos, Sunkist, Carnation, Dryers, to name a few have appeared at DL throughout the years. All without sacrificing any Disney Magic.

• Evil is Sexy

It's too bad about the free refill. You would think they'd find some way to keep that service going. Maybe offer it for plain coffee orders only since it's easier to just pour a cup of regular or decaffinated and hand it back to the guest and have them use the little fixin's bar, than to remake a whole vente caramal machiatto with soy.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    That's being generous. I've always found it more akin to undergarments.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I'd say that 98% of the people waiting in line at FF&P are waiting for Starbucks, not sandwiches. So I highly doubt that the new Starbucks Market House will be any sort of 'relief' from the long FF&P line, honestly. In fact, since the new Market House will still be smaller than FF&P, and in Disneyland, it will probably be worse. But we'll see.

• Closed Account

For everyone using the excuse that DL always had sponsers. Yes.................BUT.......
    Those sponsers/companies were founded in teh time Main Street took place! Hallmark, Maxwell Bros., Benkin, Sunkist, Carnation, Stouffers, and even Nestle (Nescafe), were founded in the mid/late1800s, early 1900s, the time that Walt's parents and Walt grew up in. So those names WERE authentic and led CREDIBILITY to Main Street. A coffee company from the 70s serving Venti Macchiato Latte does not scream "This is Walt's hometown" in ANYWAY

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    For everyone using the excuse that DL always had sponsers. Yes.................BUT.......
    Those sponsers/companies were founded in teh time Main Street took place! Hallmark, Maxwell Bros., Benkin, Sunkist, Carnation, Stouffers, and even Nestle (Nescafe), were founded in the mid/late1800s, early 1900s, the time that Walt's parents and Walt grew up in. So those names WERE authentic and led CREDIBILITY to Main Street. A coffee company from the 70s serving Venti Macchiato Latte does not scream "This is Walt's hometown" in ANYWAY
    I'm guessing we should get rid of all the merchandise Disney sells on Main Street? We should then get rid of some of the things on the Carnation Cafe menu. I don't think people were eating green chile burgers, fries and a diet cokes back then. Then we'd have to get rid of the cookie dough ice cream that's sold in Gibson Girl. I don't know, did they put cookie dough in their ice cream back then?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Exactly. Disneyland's Main Street is about nostalgia and Americana. In keeping with that theme, its past sponsors were associated with turn-of-the-century Americana:

Carnation - founded in 1899
    C&H - 1906
    Coca-Cola - 1891
    Del Monte (former Market House sponsor) - 1886
    Eastman Kodak - 1899
    Hallmark - 1910
    Hills Brothers - 1906
    Sunkist - 1893
    Swift & Co. (former Market House sponsor) - 1885
    Timex - 1854
    Upjohn - 1886
    Western Publishing - 1907
    Wurlitzer - 1853

Starbucks is a modern lifestyle brand. It is associated with contemporary, trendy and mall.

Not, of course, that any of this matters to today's Disney Corp or the vast majority of its branded lifestyle customers. In issues of Disneyland sponsorship, merchandise and marketing, money talks and theming walks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Think I'll be able to suspend disbelief just this once for my Frapachino

I know it'll be pretty hard though.

How a brand is associated though is up to the individual really. I mean I don't wear a 3 piece coat/waist coat/trousers or associate that sort of fashion or 'old timey'ness when I drink a Coke (mostly because I prefer Pepsi, but that's unrelated)

Again this is the whole 'theming' vs 'historical accuracy'.

Regardless of those companies being old brands, they were also popular contemporary brands of the 60s as well, it could have just been a fortunate coincidence. Or maybe shrewd planning.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Filmmaker

Those sponsers/companies were founded in teh time Main Street took place! Hallmark, Maxwell Bros., Benkin, Sunkist, Carnation, Stouffers, and even Nestle (Nescafe), were founded in the mid/late1800s, early 1900s, the time that Walt's parents and Walt grew up in.
    Nescafe wasn't a thing until the 1930s, Nestle may have been around, but not Nescafe. Also, it's not Main Street, but it's still worth pointing out that Casa de Fritos was sponsored by a company founded in 1932. Somewhat removed from the mid-to-late 19th century setting of Frontierland.

As I mentioned Nescafe was not period appropriate and no one was crying foul over theming. The Dreyer's Ice Cream brand did not exist until 1953, and yet I'm seeing no outcry over that sponsorship. The only difference is that Starbucks is a new sponsor, and some people hate new, even if all it's replacing is a less tasty, equally anachronistic coffee brand.

• Minion

If we're really going to be this strict on theme, then a whole bunch of things need to change.

All the stores on Main Street need to get rid of the current merchandise being sold, and replace it with toys, knick-knacks and clothing from the early 1900s and back. As a matter of fact, we need to get rid of ALL the merchandise being sold in the stores right now, and replace them with period-appropriate things, according to the land the merch is being sold in.

We need to get rid of the food being sold on Main Street. That's not period-appropriate. We need to get rid of all the snack carts in Fantasyland... We all know the people of the Renaissance in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries weren't drinking coke and eating popcorn and churros. The drinks will be replaced with wine and water. The pizza and burgers and Village Haus would have to go.

We would have to think of and invent some sort of futuristic foods and drinks for Tomorrowland.

The Mickey balloons, flashlights, princess balloons, etc. can no longer be sold on Main Street. This would need to stop at once.

The chimichangas would most likely need to be banned from Frontierland.

The music the organ in Fantasyland plays needs to IMMEDIATELY change. No one was listening to those classic Disney tunes during the European Renaissance.

This is just a short list I've come up with. If we must, must, MUST strictly stick to theme, we need to fix these problems as soon as possible. We also need to hurry up and fix other problems that need correcting.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I am always up for better food...drinks..or coffee even if it's a "brand" or "chain" on the outside...

Would I take an In and Out over the burgers they serve now? Heck yes and as long as the building is themed to what ever land it's in and does not feel out of place that's good with me

Disney Magic comes from the look and feel of the parks not if something is branded or not...should Disney not sell Coke either?

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    All the replacements that you are suggesting (does anyone actually consider the Olive Garden good food?) would be a step down from what is already there.
    ...snip...
    The Market House is reportedly retaining it's character and charm, only changing the product that it is serving

I agree such steps would be of lower quality, but they're popular! People recognize the names!

It's what is happening all over the place: independent type restaurants are dropping out, and instead we get a chain "something." Always generic, all the same as every other one of that chain. It makes me sad. And I see it going on even at Disney. The cafe in DCA ... I can't even remember where the PFF&P name is on the building, but the Starbucks sign is large and clear.

You say the Market House will retain its charm, and I really do hope you're right. I'm not holding my breath, though.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast