Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

I hate this whole idea. I really, really can't stand Starbucks burnt taste and smell. I guess not more going in there anymore. And no refills just shows how cheap Starbucks can be. I tried one of their pastries once and never again. It was hard as a rock and no amount of coffee would soften it up. Duncan Donuts Coffee is the best smelling and tasting coffee out there. To bad so many people queue up for this smelly crud because of the name. Sad about taking away the Disneyana store as well. They don't need all that room for a cup cf coffee and there is plenty of outdoor seating right outside the store. I hate the whole idea.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Market House to get Starbucks this Fall. Disneyana to be merged with Market House

You sound almost as furious as the guy who saw Baloo earlier in the week in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    If we're really going to be this strict on theme, then a whole bunch of things need to change.

All the stores on Main Street need to get rid of the current merchandise being sold, and replace it with toys, knick-knacks and clothing from the early 1900s and back. As a matter of fact, we need to get rid of ALL the merchandise being sold in the stores right now, and replace them with period-appropriate things, according to the land the merch is being sold in.

We need to get rid of the food being sold on Main Street. That's not period-appropriate. We need to get rid of all the snack carts in Fantasyland... We all know the people of the Renaissance in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries weren't drinking coke and eating popcorn and churros. The drinks will be replaced with wine and water. The pizza and burgers and Village Haus would have to go.

We would have to think of and invent some sort of futuristic foods and drinks for Tomorrowland.

The Mickey balloons, flashlights, princess balloons, etc. can no longer be sold on Main Street. This would need to stop at once.

The chimichangas would most likely need to be banned from Frontierland.

The music the organ in Fantasyland plays needs to IMMEDIATELY change. No one was listening to those classic Disney tunes during the European Renaissance.

This is just a short list I've come up with. If we must, must, MUST strictly stick to theme, we need to fix these problems as soon as possible. We also need to hurry up and fix other problems that need correcting.
    Excellent post. My opinion on this whole matter is that it should be fine to incorporate brands into the park as long as it does not intrude on the land's aesthetic quality. For example, a big, modern, flashy sign would be unacceptable. on Main Street for obvious reasons, while a smaller window sign would be sufficient. There was a thread on here from this year about a Welch's grape juice stand being in Fantasyland, signifying that external brands for food and drink at Disneyland were not exclusive to modern times. If you take a look at the thread (A Reminiscence: Welch's Grape Juice In Fantasyland), the posters- who were able to visit Disneyland during the earlier years of the park when this stand was still around- expressed their enjoyment over this brand in the parks. So the question now is. Why can't we continue to allow this today? Welch's grape juice certainly was never around during medieval times, so why did the early park designers decide to incorporate it? I believe it worked because they were able to tie it in with its surroundings. There are centaurs from Fantasia on the background mural, emphasizing the fantasy of the stand. I believe the same thing can be done with Starbucks. If it is tied in appropriately with its surroundings, I don't see the issue. Not liking the coffee is one thing. But I would just find something else to drink if I didn't like it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I'd say that 98% of the people waiting in line at FF&P are waiting for Starbucks, not sandwiches. So I highly doubt that the new Starbucks Market House will be any sort of 'relief' from the long FF&P line, honestly. In fact, since the new Market House will still be smaller than FF&P, and in Disneyland, it will probably be worse. But we'll see.
    Agree^

I think that once Starbucks opens, the Market House will be jammed packed. Not a coffee drinker, but doesn't Starbucks take a lot of time to fill orders?

I think they should have fast-tracked the Main Street alley project, and refurbed the Market House so that the line can stretch down the alley, or perhaps put Starbucks in a special alley store as this area of Main Street will be packed. People can use the alley in the a.m. to get their coffee, and then use it as a flood gate in the pm post fireworks.

Personally, some things should be left alone! In the real world, there is a Starbucks on every corner. Disneyland is an escape from the real world, right? Who wants to go escape to a place, where everything is, like it is, in your everyday life. You go to Disneyland and you may have that corn dog you usually never have or the Dole Whip, etc. I worry about Disneyland becoming like every cookie cutter mall in the country, all the same stores, in every mall. What will be special, different??? Heck, take out the gas street lamps and put a Mc'Donalds at the end of Main Street, with a play area! That would be nice! ; >

• -

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that once Starbucks opens, the Market House will be jammed packed. Not a coffee drinker, but doesn't Starbucks take a lot of time to fill orders?
    It depends on the Starbucks. For instance, the one in CA Adventure is usually pretty quick, as is the one near my office. The one near my son's track practice takes forever.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

I haven't been into the Starbucks in DCA - is it a full service one? If the Starbucks in Main Street just serves a few varieties, say coffee, tea and hot chocolate, the line might move fast. It doesn't take a lot of time to pour coffee into a cup. If they serve all of the drinks Starbucks makes, on the other hand, it's going to be a long line because it takes time to put those Venti Double Mocha Mint Latte Whips together.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I haven't been into the Starbucks in DCA - is it a full service one? If the Starbucks in Main Street just serves a few varieties, say coffee, tea and hot chocolate, the line might move fast. It doesn't take a lot of time to pour coffee into a cup. If they serve all of the drinks Starbucks makes, on the other hand, it's going to be a long line because it takes time to put those Venti Double Mocha Mint Latte Whips together.
    Full service, they'll fix whatever you want that you can get at a normal Starbucks
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Shipperson View Post
    Personally, some things should be left alone! In the real world, there is a Starbucks on every corner. Disneyland is an escape from the real world, right? Who wants to go escape to a place, where everything is, like it is, in your everyday life.
    I understand your concern to an extent, but I still feel this is an overreaction. We're simply getting a new coffee sponsor for the Market house. Sure, they'll be bringing along some of their signature drinks, but the theming of the store will (from what we've heard) remain relatively unchanged.

To me this is no different than the number of other "every day" brands that are sponsors throughout the park. Coca-Cola, Brawny, Dole, Nestle, etc. The fact that I can get a Coca-Cola anywhere in the world doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the parks and neither will Starbucks.

• Senior Minion

Personally, some things should be left alone! In the real world, there is a Starbucks on every corner. Disneyland is an escape from the real world, right? Who wants to go escape to a place, where everything is, like it is, in your everyday life. You go to Disneyland and you may have that corn dog you usually never have or the Dole Whip, etc. I worry about Disneyland becoming like every cookie cutter mall in the country, all the same stores, in every mall. What will be special, different??? Heck, take out the gas street lamps and put a Mc'Donalds at the end of Main Street, with a play area! That would be nice! ; >
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Disneyland is an escape from the real world, right? Who wants to go escape to a place, where everything is, like it is, in your everyday life. [...] Heck, take out the gas street lamps and put a Mc'Donalds at the end of Main Street, with a play area! That would be nice! ; >
    You could replace the Coca-Cola Refreshment Corner with it. amidoinitrite?
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo.
    Coke and Nestle products are on every store counter, yet don't receive the same scrutiny as Starbucks.

Why is one popular brand alright but not the other? I'm honestly curious about this.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Coke and Nestle products are on every store counter, yet don't receive the same scrutiny as Starbucks.

Why is one popular brand alright but not the other? I'm honestly curious about this.

Well, let me know if you ever find out! LOL. For whatever reason hatin' on the Starbucks seems to be the thing to do Some of it is 'brand loyalty' (ie Dunkin vs Starbucks, Coke vs Pepsi), some of it is 'hipster cool' (Starbucks is so...corporate, you know?), some of it is that good ol' resistance to change we see here 'occasionally' on MC.

Starbucks is not the 'finest' cup of coffee I've ever had (that would be Blue Bottle), but it is good coffee & excellent coffee drinks, IMHO. And it is, for lack of a better word 'consistent', which is good (in my book) for a place like DL. And it's recognizable. A guest from just about anywhere will be able to go to Market House or FFP and be assured that they will know and like what they get (unless they're a Starbucks hater, then they can be assured they'll hate what they get, sigh). Just like Coke or even McD's, you know what you are going to get when you walk in the door and it always tastes (pretty much) the same no matter where you are. And Starbucks is big enough and has the ability and resources to supply and move a lot of product quickly and efficiently, which I am sure is a big part of what Disney was looking for in forming a partnership.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

How can a round lighted "Starbucks" sign not mess with the aesthetics? We are not saying, you can't sell a chimichanga or a Mickey doll but, why would it be so hard to go out to Downtown Disney and get a "Starbucks" if you want a specific coffee. You are trading nostalgia for a brand name. They do have a coffee store, right there. You can't deal without a Starbucks for a day? Why do you want a place that looks like any other place, like the local mall? You go to Disneyland for nostalgia, the look Walt went for when he built main street! Yes, hidden inside the stores are modern foods and trinkets, but signage in the windows, for a modern company???? Walk wanted you to feel like you were stepping back in time. The same reason he bought those gas lamps that are even older than the park! They have a look to them, an old time look! Yes, they did take out the penny arcade or most of it, for candy and cr*p like that, modern stuff, but there is no McDonald's sign in the window or Starbucks sign. God, I see that b.s., EVERYWHERE else in the world! Don't you want an old time feel to Main Street? They change so much, leave some things alone! Read the sign that they have as you go under the train station, as you enter the park! "Here you leave today....." STARBUCKS????

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."
    - Neil Gabler

Truely!!!!! Buy up the competition and do the same thing, over and over!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast