Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: animatronic pirates on PoC?

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I never heard anyone refer to the addition of movie characters as "plussing" the ride. If they really wanted to improve things, they would remove the movie stuff and restore the original dialog and audio.
    This

• Workin to live,lovin life

Personally, the two scenes that don't work for me are Blackbeard being a projection, and the music in the fort battle.

Blackbeard, without watching the movie, just looks like a regular pirate. Doesn't quite fit as a mystical being.
    The fort battle? That music is very kinetic and active, yet we're slowly drifting through the battle with slow motion cannon fire. I don't mind the addition of AA's, but the music just doesn't work.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    Personally, the two scenes that don't work for me are Blackbeard being a projection, and the music in the fort battle.
    I agree 100% on Blackbeard, but in my opinion the addition of Klaus Badelt's score is one of the few changes that I would consider an actual improvement.

Having seen the movie, I can assure you that it makes literally no sense for Blackbeard to be in that scene. Blackbeard has some vaguely mystical voodoo powers that he can apparently only use when it's convenient to the plot, but he is not a supernatural figure like Davy Jones and has no business being alongside him in that scene.

As for the score from the movies, I like it quite a bit in that scene. I feel it adds to the sweeping scope of that scene, emerging from the dark cave to see a massive battle taking place all around you. If they had used the score anywhere else in the attraction I don't think it would have fit, but I really like it there.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by bheuett View Post
    Just a thought that crossed my mind. Do you think Disney will ever update the look of all the pirates on PoC? And I mean making them all look realistic like Cpt. Jack Sparrow. Or will they forever leave the cartoon looking pirates alone? Not that it matters much to me, I'll like the ride no matter what. But with today technology, I would think that they have thought of this and other numerous ways of plussing this ride, besides adding movie characters of coarse.
    disney updates the animotronics pretty often from what i hear. especially the captain in the bride auction.

OK in no way did "I" think adding movie characters would be plussing it. Disney, on the other hand, must think it is or they would have never added jack or the others to the ride. Also I totally agree with all of you on leaving the look alone. Its very nostalgic for me. Love and leave it alone. But once again, Disney seems to find away to do things that are some times unpopular. So I guess what I was asking is, do you see Disney changing the looks of them in the future? I myself hope not

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    disney updates the animotronics pretty often from what i hear. especially the captain in the bride auction.
    I hear tell that they use him to test new animatronic technology, and that he is one of the most advanced figures in the park next to Honest Ol' Abe.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

I hope they change them.

I think the artists who designed them were working within the limitations of technology at the time and made them as realistic as they could. Something tells me that if they had the technology we have now, the AAs would certainly be more realistic. I would applaud the addition of more realistic AAs as a major plus, as it would provide even deeper immersion into the world of pirates.

• Minion

Once the first movie became the hit that it was, I think they didn't have much of a choice about adding SOMETHING from it to the ride, because there'd be a whole generation of kids confused about it if they didn't.

However, I don't think they executed the additions as well as they could have. First and foremost, they just went way overboard and added too much. Then, they didn't take any pains to blend the new figures (or their corresponding portraits in the queue) into the aesthetic of the old ones. It's ended up as kind of a hodgepodge.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by logicspeaks View Post
    I hope they change them.

I think the artists who designed them were working within the limitations of technology at the time and made them as realistic as they could. Something tells me that if they had the technology we have now, the AAs would certainly be more realistic. I would applaud the addition of more realistic AAs as a major plus, as it would provide even deeper immersion into the world of pirates.
    I love the cartooney look they have now. It's part of the charm of the attraction, IMO.

• Sock Puppet

No "Pirates of the Uncanny Valley" please, thank you.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I wish they would put it back altogether- no Depp, no Jones, no Blackbeard. Give us the dark tunnel and the disembodied voices again-put back the original Captain of the Wicked Wench- no misty water effect with video projections.....

Give us classic and wonderful pirates- not this pop-culture mash up.

Won't happen..but I can wish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12