View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: Which attractions aren't Disney enough? Select all that apply.

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winnie the Pooh ride

1 1.67%
  • King Arthur's Carousel

0 0%
  • Toon Town

2 3.33%
  • Tahitian Terrace/Plaza Inn

0 0%
  • Innoventions

25 41.67%
  • Buzz Lightyear / Astro Orbitor / Starcade / Captain EO / Tomorrowland

2 3.33%
  • Empty Motorboat Cruise dock and Skyway stations

15 25.00%
  • DCA's Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, ferris wheel and the wave swinger

8 13.33%
  • a bugs land

2 3.33%
  • California Screamin' and/or Goofy's Flight School

5 8.33%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Not-Disney-Enough attractions that don't belong in Disneyland and DCA?

I don't think Toon Town's problem is that it isn't "Disney" enough. It's declined.

The ball house, the tree house, the boat are ghosts of their former selves. These were never "Disney" enough because they just targeted little kids, not the whole family.

And I miss the Jolly Trolley.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    If we lump Dumbo in with Casey we tread a slippery slope.
    How do you not put them together? They share the same footprint in the park and they're from the same movie.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think we should add designated meet and greets to the list of things to dump. It was much more magical to suddenly stumble upon your favorite character. That's the kind of magical ment that Disney has always been famous for.
    Those still happen. They just ALSO have organized ones. This is a good idea I believe as meeting characters is an important part of a trip for many, and to miss out on them due to bad timing or luck would be a bummer. Here's a shot I took the other day of Capt. Hook just milling around.

Name:  P3179166.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  125.7 KB

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Filmmaker

Goofy's Sky School and Jumpin' Jellyfish should go, but I would hardly call either of them the worst attractions in Disney history (lest we forget the likes of Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management, Stitch's Great Escape, Superstar Limo, etc.)

As far as other elements of Paradise Pier go I think the overall effect created in that area now is really nice. Mickey smiling at you from the Fun Wheel as you approach, the kinetic movement of the open air attractions visible from across the bay, the music, etc. It may all be "stock" attractions, but in my opinion it still manages to feel very Disney, and with the exception of the GSS, JJ, Corndog Castle corner, there's not much I would change.

On the other hand, I think a bug's land is in desperate need of a must see attraction. What is there wouldn't be so bad if it were in conjunction with a major crowd pleaser, but the fact that the whole land is made up of "kiddie" rides hurts a land that's aesthetically really quite charming. The rides themselves, I think, feel "Disney" enough (I'm of the mind that Dumbo and Mad Tea Party also feel "Disney"), but the close proximity with a lack of other major attractions is decidedly "un-Disney."

Across the Esplanade, there are some attractions that I think could stand to be removed, replaced, or enhanced, but the only one that I think feels "not-Disney-enough" is Innoventions. There's no draw. It has neither a fantastical charm nor a serious EPCOT caliber level of edutainment.
    Last edited by Illusion0fLife; 03-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Superstar Limo....OMG.

• Minion

I would say BLAB.

It fails to take you into the world of the movies, it fails to take you into the world of Buzz Lightyear the space ranger, it fails to represent Tomorrowland, it fails as a shooter (the targets are always blinking because someone's always shooting them!), it fails as an immersive dark ride, and overall, it fails to feel Disney!
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    How do you not put them together? They share the same footprint in the park and they're from the same movie.
    OK So Dumbo and Casey, means we pair Teacups and Alice and then we accept all of Toon Town's crappy walk thru character houses (Chip n Dale, Donald, Goofy) because they're the residential aspect of the overall Toon Town, so they can't go. Mickey's Fun Wheel and the swings add kinetics to the Pier. And so on.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I would say BLAB.

It fails to take you into the world of the movies, it fails to take you into the world of Buzz Lightyear the space ranger, it fails to represent Tomorrowland, it fails as a shooter (the targets are always blinking because someone's always shooting them!), it fails as an immersive dark ride, and overall, it fails to feel Disney!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I would say BLAB.

So true. It fails a lot. I still like it though

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    On the other hand, I think a bug's land is in desperate need of a must see attraction. What is there wouldn't be so bad if it were in conjunction with a major crowd pleaser, but the fact that the whole land is made up of "kiddie" rides hurts a land that's aesthetically really quite charming. The rides themselves, I think, feel "Disney" enough (I'm of the mind that Dumbo and Mad Tea Party also feel "Disney"), but the close proximity with a lack of other major attractions is decidedly "un-Disney."

Agree! Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    OK So Dumbo and Casey, means we pair Teacups and Alice and then we accept all of Toon Town's crappy walk thru character houses (Chip n Dale, Donald, Goofy) because they're the residential aspect of the overall Toon Town, so they can't go. Mickey's Fun Wheel and the swings add kinetics to the Pier. And so on.
    Alice compliments AND enhances the Tea Party theme/immersion by its proximity. If you took away one Dumbo or Alice attraction you would detract from the existing theme of the other one. Arguably similar with the pier... Toon Town is a beast unto itself.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    I know I'm gonna get some anger for this but...

Snow White and the Seven dwarves and Pinnochio (if I spelled that right)

I know they are historical rides and all but they're old, never have a line past 15 minutes and are pretty scary for little kids. I mean in Snow White it ends at the worst part and says "They lived happily ever after"!

Atleast take them out and do a full revamp of them.

Peter Pan and Mr. Toad can stay
    While I agree that Peter Pan and Mr. Toad are better rides than Snow White or Pinocchio, I disagree that Mr. Toad is more "Disney". I think it's one of the least Disney rides of the park, as far as branding, anyway. I don't ever think of Mr. Toad when I think Disney, other than the fact that there's a ride at Disneyland (which I love!). Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense?

Totally no anger.

I would also throw in the canoes, Mark Twain, and Columbia as rather un-Disney attractions. Not only in lack of association with the brand, but also in being rather unimpressive rides. Not that I dislike them... well, Columbia I dislike, canoes I haven't been on.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, you need to have some ride in Paradise Pier that will fit a boardwalk, such as MFW, SSS, and the Golden Zepher. It ads a kinetic feel to the land. Remember, Santa Cruz Beach Boardalk has lots going on when you look at it from the beach. Just like PP.

Now, I would remove Innovation. There is no theme and personally, many people go in their to play video games. That is not a Diney experience
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Personally, you need to have some ride in Paradise Pier that will fit a boardwalk, such as MFW, SSS, and the Golden Zepher. It ads a kinetic feel to the land. Remember, Santa Cruz Beach Boardalk has lots going on when you look at it from the beach. Just like PP.
    That's the problem with the whole beach carny theme. It just looks tacky. Slapping Disney character cut-outs on 'em takes 'em to the next level. Garish.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I would also throw in the canoes, Mark Twain, and Columbia as rather un-Disney attractions. Not only in lack of association with the brand, but also in being rather unimpressive rides. Not that I dislike them... well, Columbia I dislike, canoes I haven't been on.
    Respectfully, I see the complete opposite. To me, the Mark Twain, Columbia and canoes are very Disneyesque attractions. They are total immersion and succeed in trnasporting the guest to an idealized past.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast