View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: Which attractions aren't Disney enough? Select all that apply.

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winnie the Pooh ride

1 1.67%
  • King Arthur's Carousel

0 0%
  • Toon Town

2 3.33%
  • Tahitian Terrace/Plaza Inn

0 0%
  • Innoventions

25 41.67%
  • Buzz Lightyear / Astro Orbitor / Starcade / Captain EO / Tomorrowland

2 3.33%
  • Empty Motorboat Cruise dock and Skyway stations

15 25.00%
  • DCA's Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, ferris wheel and the wave swinger

8 13.33%
  • a bugs land

2 3.33%
  • California Screamin' and/or Goofy's Flight School

5 8.33%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Not-Disney-Enough attractions that don't belong in Disneyland and DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    That's the problem with the whole beach carny theme. It just looks tacky. Slapping Disney character cut-outs on 'em takes 'em to the next level. Garish.
    That's why I personally was NEVER in favor of the entire boardwalk theme.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Respectfully, I see the complete opposite. To me, the Mark Twain, Columbia and canoes are very Disneyesque attractions. They are total immersion and succeed in trnasporting the guest to an idealized past.
    Totally agree. It would be a shame if these things were to be removed.

I know this is going to sound campy but, especially with some of the newer attractions, if you can ask "Would Walt build this?" (with today's technology) and the answer is "No, it's exactly what Walt wouldn't build", it should go.

Also, I'm not a big fan of entire areas being themed to ONE movie. Carsland is beautiful. A lot of work went into that area and the crew did a wonderful job. However, I'm not sure that Cars is worthy of that type of attention. Let's be honest, the real draw to that area is RRS. Every other attraction is "filler" lat lacks any real imagination other than theme detail. That doesn't mean that I think Carsland should go, I just think the inception was lazy and lacked any real imagination.

What Disney REALLY needs to do, going forward, is actually imagineer. The left side of the original park is the best (personally). The work done over there actually sparked movies rather than vice versa. The last really innovative attraction that the California parks created was Soarin over California. Everything else has been (lazily) tied to a blockbuster movie. Now, that concept is not novel or new (see all of Fantasyland) but those rides (at the time) were innovative.

Little Mermaid could have been such a neat ride, but DCA used a tired blueprint and made the ride far too short (which is amazing considering the time spent and the actual footprint in the park) and honestly underwhelming.

The unfortunate thing about what's going on is that it's all tied to merchandising. What they all have forgotten is that it doesn't need to have a movie tie in to sell merchandise. Pieces of Eight was and continues to be my favorite shop in the park to spend money. When I was younger I used to buy everything Pirate and this was 30 years before Jack Sparrow came into our lives. Imagination still sells if you've got the guts to actually use any.

• Nic

King Arthur's Carousel.

I know it's a staple, but it's so off. People claim that the PP attractions are stock, why are they giving a pardon to the carousel? I could accept it better if the horses were taken out and replaced with Disney characters, but right now I can find that attraction anywhere in the world. Also, without the Merlin show, it feels like the medieval fantasy theme is slowly going out of Fantasyland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's the problem with the whole beach carny theme. It just looks tacky. Slapping Disney character cut-outs on 'em takes 'em to the next level. Garish.
    Well put.
    Respectfully, I see the complete opposite. To me, the Mark Twain, Columbia and canoes are very Disneyesque attractions. They are total immersion and succeed in trnasporting the guest to an idealized past.
    +1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrand1 View Post
    I know this is going to sound campy but, especially with some of the newer attractions, if you can ask "Would Walt build this?" (with today's technology) and the answer is "No, it's exactly what Walt wouldn't build", it should go.
    Exactly the idea behind this thread!

• Minion

At Disneyland

-Tarzan's Treehouse- cheaply done, artificial figures that look like oversized toys.
    - Innoventions- Just a mess of an attraction that looks like it is ready to go soon
    - Starcade- why go to a theme park if your going to play video games?

At DCA

-Golden Zephyr- pointless and short, plus the queue looks cold and uninviting
    -Goofy's Sky School- Looks like something from the OC fair
    -Jumpin Jellyfish- see GSS

Innoventions. I don't go to Disneyland to play XBOX.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't think Toon Town's problem is that it isn't "Disney" enough. It's declined. The ball house, the tree house, the boat are ghosts of their former selves. These were never "Disney" enough because they just targeted little kids, not the whole family. And I miss the Jolly Trolley.
    Toontown could use a Mickey Mouse dark ride. No one does "dark ride" better than Disney. Disneyland was almost the Mickey Mouse Park, Mickey deserves a ride. Complete with Mickey and co. animatronics. Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Pluto, etc.

Last edited by Kevbot217; 03-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.

It seems as if you can identify the attraction by a generic term, rather than only by the specific identifier, it should depart.
    Agreed. Time to get rid of the train, the spinner, the arcade, the indoor roller coaster, the outdoor roller coaster, the flume ride, the kiddie cars, and the dark rides.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovu View Post
    No one does "dark ride" better than Disney. Disneyland was almost the Mickey Mouse Park, Mickey deserves a ride.
    Not true. Universal and a few others have proven that they can compete. Disney has created some big time duds, i.e. Superstar Limo, Pooh and Buzz just to mention a few.
    Last edited by doppio; 03-24-2013 at 04:38 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrand1 View Post
    What Disney REALLY needs to do, going forward, is actually imagineer. The left side of the original park is the best (personally). The work done over there actually sparked movies rather than vice versa. The last really innovative attraction that the California parks created was Soarin over California. Everything else has been (lazily) tied to a blockbuster movie. Now, that concept is not novel or new (see all of Fantasyland) but those rides (at the time) were innovative.

Little Mermaid could have been such a neat ride, but DCA used a tired blueprint and made the ride far too short (which is amazing considering the time spent and the actual footprint in the park) and honestly underwhelming.

The unfortunate thing about what's going on is that it's all tied to merchandising. What they all have forgotten is that it doesn't need to have a movie tie in to sell merchandise. Pieces of Eight was and continues to be my favorite shop in the park to spend money. When I was younger I used to buy everything Pirate and this was 30 years before Jack Sparrow came into our lives. Imagination still sells if you've got the guts to actually use any.
    (bold mine)

This. This. This. This. THIS.

(Little Mermaid totally trumps Pooh and BLAB, but it still could have been better.)
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Selfie Expert

I completely agree.

I guess it depends on what the definition of Disney-eque is. Is it what you think of when you think of the Disney brand (which is what I was referring to)? Or is it that immersion and atmosphere that makes Disneyland so special? Disney vs. Disneyland are different to me in this particular topic.

Although, I still think the dark rides are the epitomy of "Disneyland" (just my personal opinion).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Sondheimian

If there's one thing in Disneyland that's just not relevant to anything at all, I'd have to say the Starcade. I just wish they would do something a lot more useful or fun with that building, and the two stories that it has. I hate walking out of Space Mountain, going nuts over what just happened, and then seeing Guitar Hero.
    To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast