Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Land?

• Artistic integrity

Re: Star Wars Land?

My response to Tomorrowland being leveled in favor of Sith Lords, Evil Empires, Storm Troopers, and a dark gray color palette of cities of Corascant, the Cloud City, and more ... filling in all corners of the land once deemed a place representing mankind's achievements here on our world:

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

I think my answer is quite clear.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Third Park ... go for it!

DCA ... go for it. I've heard the reasons not to do it in DCA ... but if you got the choice between shoehorning a Star Wars (All ONE-Franchise Land, into the 'Magic Kingdom' park) .. and DCA ...... I think my choice is DCA ... over DL .. ANYDAY!!

I don't want to see it in Disneyland.

EVER!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

From an Imagineering point of view it would be a better fit as a land or sub land at Disneyland Park, but even better would be Park Three.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    While I also agree that it would be better for a 3rd gate I have to wonder what if the Star Wars area took over the Sub and Autopia area. In this area it would be between FantasyLand and Tomarrowland. A new land there might be a better fit.
    Don't you think John Lassetter .... the man behind Finding Nemo ... would say something about tearing out the subs too soon? And Finding Nemo II will be in theaters in 2016. And the return of the subs cost Disney some 173 million to build. Just 6 years ago.

I see Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage staying right where it is, for quite some time!

The same goes for Buzz. I don't see that attraction going anywhere! Not at just 8 years of age. I predict they intend on getting a lot more mileage out of that ride .. before they ever consider ripping it out.

And someone else on this topic mentioned ... In order to grasp the entire scope of the "Star Wars" universe ... they need real ROOM to work with.

That's where a third gate comes in.

I like that idea of an "Adventures" park ... that include all the more "modern" franchises all in one park - from Marvel, to Pixar, to Lucas Film, to Avatar. If they pick Marvel and Star Wars alone ... I think that would fill up that site quite sufficiently.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Don't you think John Lassetter .... the man behind Finding Nemo ... would say something about tearing out the subs too soon? And Finding Nemo II will be in theaters in 2016. And the return of the subs cost Disney some 173 million to build. Just 6 years ago.

I see Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage staying right where it is, for quite some time!

The same goes for Buzz. I don't see that attraction going anywhere! Not at just 8 years of age. I predict they intend on getting a lot more mileage out of that ride .. before they ever consider ripping it out.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    And someone else on this topic mentioned ... In order to grasp the entire scope of the "Star Wars" universe ... they need real ROOM to work with.

That's where a third gate comes in.

I like that idea of an "Adventures" park ... that include all the more "modern" franchises all in one park - from Marvel, to Pixar, to Lucas Film, to Avatar. If they pick Marvel and Star Wars alone ... I think that would fill up that site quite sufficiently.
    Just Marvel and Star Wars alone seems too boy-oriented and would be kind of stale without Pixar and Disney characters added to the mix.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    From an Imagineering point of view it would be a better fit as a land or sub land at Disneyland Park,
    Where exactly?

The backside of Frontierland? That would look so out of place ... butt up against the land .. of the American Frontier of the 1800s .... That's what I call - a thematic, nightmare clash.

Motor Boat Cruise/Subs/Autopia ... which is about the only other area -
    As I said before ... I see the subs going nowhere .. for quite some time.

To shoehorn into DCA?

The northern half of Hollywoodland?
    Yes ... Hollywoodland is 1920s to 40s theme.

But look at the north half of that stretch ... there's nothing 1920s-40s about that area at all. From Muppets to Monsters Inc. ... it's "Late 20th Century" land. I don't know of any plan to continue to the "20s-40s" theme into that part of Hollywoodland in the near or far off future.

Then there's the pocket of land east of Carsland. To match the Arizona/California desert look of Carsland .. what about Tatooine?

So ... there's ways to appease the Star Wars geeks ... and leave Tomorrowland ALONE!
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

But Tatooine is not part of Route 66.

I could see it taking over Autopia.

I don't want to leave Tomorrowland alone, I think they could level it and re do it better.

Build a tunnel around the railroad and expand right up to Harbor Blvd.

Star Wars Land sounds pretty cool. But I can't decide what needs more help: EPCOT or DHS? There are plenty of space at each to dump this land. They can start by getting rid of that awful hat by selling it on ebay to somebody with way too much money and room

Star Wars Land sounds better than Avatar Area in Animal Kingdom

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    But Tatooine is not part of Route 66.
    Good point. But DCA has the same problems as DL ... not a lot of room to expand.

I could see it taking over Autopia.
    And what about the Submarine Voyage .. below it? Not to mention the Monorail tracks?

Oh .. we can say .. They can re-route it ... but would they??

I don't want to leave Tomorrowland alone, I think they could level it and re do it better.
    I think you missed my point - Leave it alone .. as far as "Star Wars" franchise is concerned.

Build a tunnel around the railroad and expand right up to Harbor Blvd.
    Love your idea. Just a question of where do they put selected "backstage" needs. Not to mention, there's a chiller plant behind, and the chlorination and pump systems for the Submarine Voyage. And the monorail tracks are an issue.

All achievable .. one way are another. Just a question of how much of this Disney will expend - $
    MY SIGNATURE:

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Star Wars Land sounds pretty cool. But I can't decide what needs more help: EPCOT or DHS? There are plenty of space at each to dump this land. They can start by getting rid of that awful hat by selling it on ebay to somebody with way too much money and room
    Although putting a Star Wars land in DHS has its own thematic problems, given the choice of any existing theme parks, this is the park where I would shoehorn it. Definitely not EPCOT. But all things considered, if the parks must have more Star Wars, I would cast my vote for a third gate to eliminate space and theming restrictions.

oops, ignore this reply !

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    While I also agree that it would be better for a 3rd gate I have to wonder what if the Star Wars area took over the Sub and Autopia area. In this area it would be between FantasyLand and Tomarrowland. A new land there might be a better fit.
    the subs and autopia are classic attractions, i think the best place to fit "star wars land" is in the massive parking lot to the west of paradise pier.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Please for the love of all things holy, BUILD THE DAMN PARK!!!! (Arizonans should get that joke.)

If they need someone to drive the bulldozer over anything in the way of a third park in CA, I will offer my services free of charge. Parks, houses, whatever, I will take it out.

I hope Disney does this justice if they go through with it. A small miniland doesn't do enough for a universe that had entertained millions for 30+ years. Heck a regular sized park wouldn't be enough for all that it should contain. Regardless it needs a full blown park and not a mini land.

Put it in CA where I can be there in 5 hours, please. Heck I will go if try build it in Florida, Kansas, Azerbijan or Saturn's eighth moon.

Okay, a few points of note:

1. Tomorrowland is too small a footprint for the amount of $$ Disney wants to make back from the Star Wars investment.

2. The idea of converting the existing space would be such a big expenditure for demolition on top of construction, it doesn't make sense not to do it as a third gate instead. Again, too much $$ to make back too little from the space.

3. While the idea of a third gate has been floated for years, until Disney has the whole corner of Harbor and Katella, I just don't see it happening. Without the corner, they don't have viable connectivity to the other parks in the resort.

4. If they are going to lay a franchise over the top of Tomorrowland, Marvel has a better tie to the original concept, being based on Earth and using technology like crazy. It fits better.

5. The Paradise Pier Hotel parking lot has been floated as a third gate possibility instead of the strawberry fields lot on a number of occasions. I would find this location a stronger possibility if they hadn't just refurbed the hotel so much. If they let the old design linger, I would find a retheming and inclusion in a new park more probable.

6. Should they get the land rights from under the IHOP and the Red Lion (and the other motels along Katella), the strawberry fields come back into play (with a walking bridge over the intersection).

7. While many have pointed out the lush universe that is Star Wars, realistically, Disney would stick to the locales of the films and likely ignore lesser known EU properties. That leaves 18 planets used in the films, 5 of which were only used in Episode III for the Order 66 Jedi death montage. Excluding those, and Alderaan (for no longer existing), that leaves 12 planet locales (including the Endor and Yavin moons). Enough for small third gate, but not the unending arena that people seem to think it is.

8. On that same line, any Marvel inclusion would be focused on the films, and not the extensive universe of the comics. Again, enough for a small third gate, but not the fountain it's made out to be.

9. Neither set of properties really feels like Disney. They feel like themselves. I love Star Wars. I love the Marvel Universe. I love the Indiana Jones movies, the Pirates films, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the Lone Ranger. They are all great family friendly franchises, and while I enjoy their presence in the parks, somehow they just feel a bit off.

10. That said, I understand the model of the company over the last 30 years has been moved by profits and tie-in necessities. I accept that they will have a larger role in the parks. I understand it will happen. Instead of bemoaning the evolution of the park, I embrace it in my armchair ideas, as I wish I would see more from other long time mice chatters. Acceptance instead of denial and bargaining. :-)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast