• PotC @ DL > PotC @ MK

Ride Replacement Policy

So I was re-reading "More Mouse Tales" yesterday, and came to the part about the Skyway and its unceremonious dumping in 1994. The comment from David Koenig was that, because of a policy of not bringing in new rides without taking out an old ride, Skyway was "replaced" by Indiana Jones, even though the rides are across the park from each other.

My question, then, is this: what is Buzz replacing, or what has it replaced? Was a ride shuttered that I haven't noticed? Is something else coming out soon? Is this an exception to the policy made for thr 50th, or is this yet another Ouimetism, another positive policy change brought on by the new management regime?

Anyone with insight or speculation, lay it on!

• Banned User

Several things were closed without replacement.

Motorboat cruise.
    Mission to Mars.
    Peolple Mover and Circle Vision were replaced with just Rocket Rods, which has not had a replacement.
    Subs (though they are looking to be coming back)

I think Buzz is simply a replacement for Mission to Mars and/or Circle Vision.... A ride to get people into Tomorrowland and out of the over crowded FL/AL/NOS/CC side of the park.

• Minion

Maybe Buzz is replacing the loss of the ODV attraction...
    "He gets around you know he knows all the pretty girls." ~ Walt Disney

• Banned User

for some reason, i think it's more of a coincidence than an actual policy. I could be wrong though. It's happened before and it will happen again.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Disney
    for some reason, i think it's more of a coincidence than an actual policy. I could be wrong though. It's happened before and it will happen again.
    Coincidence or requirement? There is only so much space in DL ... which ha sme wondering ...... i wonder if the City of Anaheim imposes "open space" requirements on DL like they would on other developments ...... if so, all of that open land in Frontierland may not be available after all ....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

I doubt this is a forced policy at all it's just something they happen to do

I've also heard them claim that the Peoplemover went down for Indy 9_9

honestly I think they just wanted to kill the skyway (and it deserved it's death) I mean they closed it down at both parks within a very short time of each other

probably just preperation for the land redos that were in the planning stages at that point

as far as Buzz replacing something, one could argue that it's replacing Rocket Rods or somethin but honestly, it's a new ride that's opening because you have to open new things and offer new things to get people to revisit your theme park

• that's right!

The only "policy" is "put in new rides every so often" which coincides with the policy of "closing rides every so often with or without good reason." I doubt it's a ratio-ed thing.

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    The only "policy" is "put in new rides every so often" which coincides with the policy of "closing rides every so often with or without good reason." I doubt it's a ratio-ed thing.
    it's not without good reason

they simply look for rides that are expensive to run or rides that arn't popular or rides that no longer match the theme and shut them down, simple as that

admitedly sometimes they do add little tricks into the mix to make it look more complex or something (pokes the motor boat cruise)

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    it's not without good reason

they simply look for rides that are expensive to run or rides that arn't popular or rides that no longer match the theme and shut them down, simple as that

admitedly sometimes they do add little tricks into the mix to make it look more complex or something (pokes the motor boat cruise)
    I said "without good reason" because the concensus on internet boards is that a few rides were shut down for "no reason" (e.g. submarines, skyway, etc.) from the fan's viewpoint. I'm sure Disney doesn't throw darts at a board with rides on it and close them randomly, of course.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

I think toontown was the replacement for motor boat cruise.