Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: New Light Shed on Fastpass+ by Lead Designer of My Disney Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    So... having created a system that creates stress (of which Fastpass is a part, along with mega-crowding courtesy of aggressive AP sales), Disney's beancounter-led management comes up with a humongeously expensive system that will lock people into a regimen, remove spontaneity and create more stress.

Brilliant. Like blind men feeling the elephant, clueless cubizens trying to figure out via surveys and focus groups how Disneyland works.
    Exactly what I started to type before I realized you had already posted it. The stress is caused by the Fastpasses themselves (and ADRs) ... because if you can't get one, you can't get on certain attractions all day.

It was not like that before the Fastpass and ADR systems existed. You leisurely walked around the park and went from one attraction to the next attraction. You did not race from one side of the park to the other to get to be able to use your Fastpass. You ate when you felt like eating (in the restaurant you felt like eating in) - sometimes you waited for 20 minutes, but usually you did not. Lines were substantially shorter on average.

Fastpasses are designed to make the person feel like they are beating the system - that is all. They've known for a long time that they do not significantly increase shopping times (as was the initial excuse). The problem is that they are now a source of constant stress because if the person is not using them optimally, they feel that they are "losing" to some other generic park guest who is beating them with optimal usage. And sometimes they actually are getting beat by the system (if you miss the rope drop at DHS and can't get a Toy Story Fastpass).

Fastpasses and ADRs force a family to approach the parks as a Disney Commando or otherwise have a diminished park experience. And typically, behaving as a Disney Commando causes stress (particularly if it's not your preferred method of vacationing). Watching FastPassers walk right by you for 15 minutes while you stand in the stand-by line causes stress. And having a gadget/perks/technology/scheduling induced diminished park experience certainly causes stress.

The standard guest feels stressed by the overscheduling caused by FastPass? No kidding, Sherlock! The optimal fix is more scheduling?

/Not one minute of business school education, so my opinion can't possibly have merit.

• formerly very helpful

As much as I'd personally prefer them NOT to utilize this new Fastpass system, I'm forced to say that I think they're right about the typical guest and the stress of the parks. However, I think most of this has to do with the society in which we've built. Not only do people pay a sh**-load of money for this vacation, so they feel they must jam in as much as possible to get their money's worth, but we're also in a very paranoid time for most. Many people actually do feel threatened when in a situation with a lot of people. Whether the risk exists or not, the stress is real. I don't think most people are even aware of why they are stressed, which could even put their answers in a survey under suspect. But I think this could add to their stress level. I think there's percieved to be some comfort in knowing where you'll be at a certain time.
    Also, as this next generation of adults is growing up, I think we're getting a generation of people who are often not really equiped to handle the daily stresses of being out in public, which most people used to simply fluff off, as somthing we were used to,since we had skills to cope. This next generation of adults grew up much more tied into electronics and non-social habits, so dealing with people (ie. strangers; the general public) can be frightening. They are out of their element.
    Making your reservations, and then essentially being told "Now you have to go there," could feel like responsibility is being removed from the guest, so things may be percieved as being easier.

Am I babbling? It's 1 a.m. here, so I'm not sure how coherent this is. Hopefully you'll get what I mean.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Disney can say what ever they like but just wait ten years and most parents by then should be able to understand what a Fastpass is...if not then truly we are all geniuses because to not be able to understand such a simple idea that children get is mind blowing to me
    When the system came out I understood it the minute my dad told me you put your ticket in the machine and come back on the time posted....how can anyone not understand that

fastpass can make thigns more stressful as someone mentioned above, but i think the REAL source of stress is simply the desire in all of us to optimize our disney experience. fastpass just adds yet another component that causes us to walk across the park to catch our window or get in another fastpass. but removing it wouldn't make us all happy and chill goers, it would jsut make us look for other ways to optimize our experience. think about it - even before going we ask 'when will it be busy?? will it be too crowded??" all of us hate lines and all of us hate waiting in ever increasing lines at disney. back before the good ol days of FP, i recall figuring out where most people would be at a given time and then going to underpopulated parts of the park - the thinking being that people would just naturally go on rides that are nearby to where they are at, rather than today's FP schedule. removing FP won't make the parks unstressful. parents still have to worry about if their kids are having a good time, of getting on the all the rides they wanted, making sure they dont waste the entire day in lines, etc etc. removing FP will not solve the stress issue, stress comes hand in hand with trying to hit all our favorite rides given the overcrowdedness that is now endemic in disney parks.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Would people please stop saying that Fastpasses should be removed? This would be the stupidest competitive move Disneyland would have made in its history. Yes I fully understand the arguments against Fastpass and in a perfect world I would prefer they didn't have it. But let's face it -- they simply can't. Both Knotts and Universal (and I think Magic Mountain too) offer their own versions of Fastpass, even at their Haunt events. Admittedly these parks do charge an upcharge for these but they do exist. Disney just can't get rid of Fastpass because that would give these parks an edge that Disneyland wouldn't have.

As an extension of this My Magic + shouldn't be taken away either. But keep it at WDW, where it is truly designed for. Fast pass make sense at the so cal theme parks where all the casual local day guests want to do is get on as many rides as they can but its no harm if they miss a ride or two. But don't bring it to the DLR where it just doesn't fit in to the culture.

• Seeker of Fun

When this rolls out at Disneyland, the only way to make it go away is to not utilize it. That's most of the battle I think. If we're not interested in buying the same thing we can get on Main Street as we can in Tomorrowland, there might be a change.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    but i think the REAL source of stress is simply the desire in all of us to optimize our disney experience.
    This. Although I don't like the next gen stuff, I will say that it will help those by putting the burden of micro managing and "optimization" on disney, rather than the guest. FP and ADR are here and like pandora's box. I don't see these features, or rather the mentality they have either built, or fostered, going away.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• No Disassemble!

....This creates a vacation of nothing but stress, and Disney (World, more than anywhere else) has been in a sort of crisis-mode trying to figure out just how to handle this. Thus, the implementation of My Disney Experience, Fastpass+, and Dining programs which allows you to have things planned far in advanced, thus allowing the family to stay together.
    And families that stay together... spend more $$$ together.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
    • Minion

The thing about Fastpass being "stressful" just confuses me. Admittedly this is my own experience and that of my friends...but I've never found it stressful to have to be back at a certain place within an hour window. It's not stressful to know you have to be at the parade, the fireworks, the Animation Academy or World of Color at a certain time, right? you just work it into your schedule. For me personally, the park was a lot less pleasant before Fastpass, when I spent an hour in a slow-moving line for one attraction.

I have to think that some of the "stress" is the parents' own making - for instance, not knowing when to quit when their kids get overtired. Every time I am at the park I see kids who are very obviously exhausted, overwhelmed and in need of a nap - and the parents are just dragging them along to the next thing. When that kid finally has a meltdown because they are so tired, that's major stress, I'm sure. Another stress could be fending off the relentless merch and marketing - it's hard to bring a kid through a merchandise wonderland and say 'no' to them over and over again. You do it because you're the parent but after a while it gets annoying, the kid gets upset because they want to buy something, etc.

I think the stress from FP comes from, "hey, we're in line, I wonder if we'll be done here in time to get there in our hour-long window." Especially if you're quite a distance from the ride for which you hold a FP.

I see the pressure to squeeze every bit from a vacation as part of the stress of our culture, and something that on a vacation, one should maybe avoid. On the freeways, people drive too fast because they've scheduled too much. At Disney, people run from one thing to another, desperate to make sure they get to absolutely everything.

That would absolutely stress me out. Even when I was a day guest (why did that want to come out as "gay guest"?) in Florida, I had made a list of things I wanted to get to, and planned my route through the park, but it was a very loose plan. Too much planning and I feel like I'm not on vacation. It's like having back-to-back meetings or something.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Wow. I'd say almost all of the DLR guests don't view DL that way. DL is so small it may be tiring but in no way the "most terrifying experience"of their lives - even amongst the most casual infrequent DL guest. WDW wants this system let them have it. But please don't impose it on us Disneylanders.
    If everyone in the family has their own smart phone anyway (which is apparently necessary for the new system), as they will have the ability of constant communication, it kind of negates the "split up their family" aspect of the "terrifying experience"

What is Disney? It is a vacation destination. Many families save up (or borrow) to take a vacation there. They want to know they have gotten their money's worth. Stress comes when parents realize (most likely doing research) that even with Fastpass certain rides are practically unattainable, unless you are up for waiting in stand-by for 60-75-90 min. As an annual passholder it doesn't necessarily bother me to go to Hollywood Studios and not ride Toy Story Mania everytime, but to a family on a once a year (or 2 years, 5, 10?) it is a pretty big deal. Now I don't think that this means that families may choose to go elsewhere because, again, Disney is a vacation destination but it certainly detracts from their overall view of the experience. Despite what some people might think I still believe that Disney values the guest experience and wants to make people happy when they visit. I also view NextGen queue enhancements as a part of this. Disney is attempting to enhance the guest's experience even if they are "forced" to wait in the stand-by lines.

In regards to the issues that people are experiencing I can't recall a time when a major technological advancement did not have some issues when it first rolled out. How many times does a new ride technology "break down" when it is in its first few weeks of implementation? These issues will in no way continue to happen with as much frequency and the system can only improve over time.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    In regards to the issues that people are experiencing I can't recall a time when a major technological advancement did not have some issues when it first rolled out. How many times does a new ride technology "break down" when it is in its first few weeks of implementation? These issues will in no way continue to happen with as much frequency and the system can only improve over time.
    A key difference, though, is that when Test Track broke down park guests didn't get potentially sensitive personal information from other guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    A key difference, though, is that when Test Track broke down park guests didn't get potentially sensitive personal information from other guests.
    Personal information can be a very broad term in this context. I seriously doubt than anyone saw social security numbers or credit card info. The most they probably saw is names, addresses and vacation plans. Certainly someone with nefarious plans could do something sinister with such information but we are talking about like minded individuals with the same goals, vacation planning. What would they do with such info?

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.
    When it comes to the security of personal information, I'm of the mind that it's better to err on the side of caution than to casually dismiss security leaks as merely a side-effect of new technology.

Proper security of personal information is sort of a big deal. I don't think it's unreasonable to be alarmed by the fact that there are currently flaws in the system in regards to keeping that information safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast