Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

New Light Shed on Fastpass+ by Lead Designer of My Disney Experience

One of the lead designers of the My Disney Experience and Fastpass+ just came to the University of Florida's Integrated Product and Process Design (IPPD) class and gave a lecture with his experience creating the My Disney Experience platform.

One of the most interesting points he touched upon was just why Disney has decided to implement this program and allow Fastpasses to be reserved so far in advanced. The reason? Parents who were surveyed about their experience and perception of the Disney Parks "overwhelmingly" said that it was "the most terrifying experience of their life." These are the words he used, unaltered. Parents said this because they know they will have to split up their family in a park of thousands, having people do other things while Mom gets Fastpasses and Dad goes to wait in line to get something to eat with the kids. This creates a vacation of nothing but stress, and Disney (World, more than anywhere else) has been in a sort of crisis-mode trying to figure out just how to handle this. Thus, the implementation of My Disney Experience, Fastpass+, and Dining programs which allows you to have things planned far in advanced, thus allowing the family to stay together.

While the magic is there for the kids, it's simply not there for the adults. At least, that's according to the "overwhelmingly" negative responses from parents about going to Disney on vacation.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Senior Minion

Re: New Light Shed on Fastpass+ by Lead Designer of My Disney Experience

So... having created a system that creates stress (of which Fastpass is a part, along with mega-crowding courtesy of aggressive AP sales), Disney's beancounter-led management comes up with a humongeously expensive system that will lock people into a regimen, remove spontaneity and create more stress.

Brilliant. Like blind men feeling the elephant, clueless cubizens trying to figure out via surveys and focus groups how Disneyland works.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. I'd say almost all of the DLR guests don't view DL that way. DL is so small it may be tiring but in no way the "most terrifying experience"of their lives - even amongst the most casual infrequent DL guest. WDW wants this system let them have it. But please don't impose it on us Disneylanders.

I remember going to WDW in the 90s before FastPass and never recalled my parents under stress.

I'm starting to think removing the FastPass system is a better option. Late at night while going on Racers once the FastPass guests have gone through the Standby line much much quicker!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Wow. I'd say almost all of the DLR guests don't view DL that way. DL is so small it may be tiring but in no way the "most terrifying experience"of their lives - even amongst the most casual infrequent DL guest. WDW wants this system let them have it. But please don't impose it on us Disneylanders.
    Agreed. Seriously, who gets overwhelmed at the Disneyland Resort? I'm sure there are some that do, but I bet it's a small number. The parks are so close together and the resort is small. No need for My Magic (shutter) here in California.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Dead men tell no tales.

I can see MM+ being far more effective in WDW than on the west coast, mostly because of size. I don't want any of this new stuff in Disneyland, I like the current FP system the way it is.

• Minion

I'm not afraid to say that I agree with the reasoning.

I had to plan my trip to WDW and UO last summer. Mostly because I wanted to, but also because I knew the trip was really more for me than it was for them. In the end, though, I sometimes feel that my parents (my dad, especially) got to enjoy the trip more because they were just going with the flow and I wanted to keep some semblance of a schedule, making sure I did everything I wanted to do.

If you're the kind of person who wants to do as much as possible, planning a vacation gets to be quite stressful. I can't just say that I'll do whatever and see what happens--it's just not who I am. I need to have things planned out. If I don't, I worry and I'll feel even worse. MyMagic+ seems like it's going to help in that regard. I can plan some stuff way ahead of time. I'm already doing this by getting fast passes so doing it months in advance isn't a problem.

As a Disneyland fanatic, I know my way around, but tons of people don't. New families are going to be overwhelmed, especially if they're going for their first, second, or even tenth time. There is a lot to do, and despite all the available resources, people are often blind-sighted when they get there and suddenly everything is different than they expected and they find themselves completely unprepared. Things get even worse at WDW where you have four different parks, water parks, different transit systems...it's a mess that people need tools to navigate through. MyMagic+ is the beginning of that.

• Filmmaker

I think MyMagic+, FastPass+, etc. are good ideas, but from what I'm seeing so far the execution of those ideas is way off.

As others have mentioned, this is less of an issue for us Disneylanders, but the Florida Resort can be majorly intimidating, especially for first timers. The idea of being able to reserve some times for key attractions in advance is a good one, and could be very beneficial to a lot of guests, but the way it is being implemented looks as if it's being done in a way that not only prefers advance reservations but also potentially eliminates the opportunity to get FastPasses for more popular attractions on the day of.

The open letter on the subject posted on the MiceChat home page the other day brought up a lot of the major issues I have with this project. There's an opportunity to make a WDW vacation a better experience, but this is not the right solution.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Anything to give the hotel guests an edge should be welcomed. The casual guests won't be forced to use it. It's a win-win for everyone.

•   
    • Minion

I have mentioned this in many threads on this topic already but what is said in the main post is right on. My brother describes Disneyland as being stressful because of the FP system. For him if he doesn't get his SM fps they won't even ride it. Once I told him about the new system he was very excited It appears this is a common reaction based on the topic. I know to many of us me included it doesn't make sense but Disney wants to target their money makers which are families. They will make them the most money. This is the mentality of all corporations. They want to appeal to the masses as much as possible and will try anything to do it. This is also why the FP rules are enforcement to make sure their new product is a success.

Trust me when I say I never feel stressed at Disneyland I love it there and I just chill at my own pace. But for other people they may see it differently than me and those people probably outnumber me 10-1.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, Fastpass has created more problems than it thought it could solve. My sisters and I say get rid of it completely and let us all go back to the way it was before Fastpass. There would be a lot less stress and a lot more spontaneous joys.

• Minion

They do realize that nobody is forcing them to split up in order to get FP's, don't they? That's something they're deciding to do on their own.

• Senior Minion

There have been many MiceChat threads in the last couple years discussing NextGen in general and MyMagic+ in particular. Threads in which some posters expressed concern about the security of customers' personal data.

Such posters were piled on with "you're just paranoid, Disney knows what they're doing."

In fact, as the rollout of MyMagic+ and the mouse-snafus in other areas of their operation have made plain, Disney doesn't. From the MiceAge article about MyMagic+...

"In the limited roll out of MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience, the most egregious issue has been problems with the new website. Many guests have reported seeing another family’s personal information. Reports have even stated that upon refreshing the website, a third family’s itinerary will appear. Guests are able to make changes to another family’s itinerary, potentially disrupting multiple vacations. On a smaller scale, dining reservations are not always syncing properly with a guest’s account and tech support has been unable to repair many of these issues."

Unfortunately, Disney's MyMagic+ customers may learn the hard way that their personal data is not safe with a corporation that values quick-and-cheap solutions over longterm and top quality. A corporation that is so topheavy with conflicting departments that it couldn't roll out an updated Disneyland monorail that fit on its own track.

When data security problems arise, don't expect truth and transparency from Disney. Expect instead the same dismissive arrogance and PR-speak displayed in Bob Iger's letter to Representative Edward Markey:

"The recent announcements of MyMagic+ and Fastpass+ have raised concerns in the fan community over Disney’s priorities. These concerns were shared by United States Representative Edward Markey, and led to a methodically crafted, yet somehow juvenile response from CEO Bob Iger."

"...Perhaps the biggest concern amongst the fans is the loss of privacy and the transition to Fastpass+. Representative Markey asked pointed questions regarding how the collected data would be used, and if people that opted out of this data collection would see longer lines at attractions. These questions were not sufficiently answered, and the response to date has only been that guests will get a more convenient experience if they participate in MyMagic+."

"A more convenient experience" for Disney's beancounters, that is.

For Disney's customers... caveat emptor.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Loves Disney

The only reason I think some people may feel overwhelmed at Disney World or Disneyland is they are trying to get everything in x amount of days. I remembered when I went with my parents in the 90's we picked at least 4 or 5 must rides at Disney World and after that whatever we can get in was a plus. I think some people who visit both resorts get into that mentality of we must do all the rides/shows and in that point of view I see where someone can get overwhelmed easily.

If a kid is so bratty that they refust to wait in any stand-by lines, or even wait for a parent to get FPs rather than split up while this is done, that kid does not deserve to be treated to a Disney vacation

That being said, I understand the appeal of the new system. I'm a planner. Some people feel stressed by having a set schedule, but to me it is relaxing because I don't have to make any decisions on the fly. I don't see a problem as long as the new system is optional and doesn't completely eliminate day-of FPs.

Also, keep in mind that the penalty for missing an advance reservation is not death...it just means you'll have to wait in line for that ride at another time. No big deal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast