• "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"

Princess Fantasy Faire Lighting ?

Hello! Tomorrow will be my first time seeing Princess fantasy Faire. I know the lighting hasn't been the greatest. I have a Canon T3i. To anyone who can answer this, what is the best camera setting to get good pics in there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Princess Fantasy Faire Lighting ?

Quote Originally Posted by iamdisneysgirl View Post
    Hello! Tomorrow will be my first time seeing Princess fantasy Faire. I know the lighting hasn't been the greatest. I have a Canon T3i. To anyone who can answer this, what is the best camera setting to get good pics in there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Guess this won't do much good now, but assuming you have the kit lens (18-55mm) and the lighting is fairly dark, you want to shoot wide open as possible. So F/3.5 on the wide end and F5.6 (I think) on the telephoto end. I would keep it wide since 5.6 might not be enough if it is dark. Shoot in Aperture Priority (Av on Canons) and set the aperture to 3.5 (or whatever the widest is) and up the ISO until you get a decent shutter speed. Rule of thumb is to shoot at the reciprocal of the focal length to freeze motion (not action though). So if you're at 18mm you'd want to shoot at least 1/18 second or at 1/20 or 1/25 (whichever is available). That is with non-action movement. Shouldn't be no action unless you decide to chase one of the Fairies around

Now I read somewhere when shooting with a crop camera (not full frame by 35mm standards) you want to do the reciprocal formula with the full frame equivalent. So 18mm x 1.6 (the crop factor for your camera) = 28.8. So shooting at 1/30 might be the 'correct' shutter speed. Now you could shoot with a flash, but on board flashes aren't that great at all. But it is better than nothing if needed.

If your lens has IS, use it. Course you probably knew that!

If you have any more questions just ask!

btw - the link in your sig doesn't work.