Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: Tomorrowland Redo Should Not be a Return to the Past

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^^^ Outstanding posts disneylandfan and CDW! You guys have totally nailed the spirit, philosophy and soul of what Tomorrowland was all about.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan View Post
    I don't disagree at all. That was my exact point.

He presented Tomorrowland as a "world in motion", I just disagree with a lot of these younger people on this site that are lacking in the knowledge of Walts original ideas because they keep stating that Tomorrowland was supposed to be some sort of "futuristic" land and that the rides were outdated is why they were shut down. They may have been old but I don't think outdated at all. The rides still served a very valid purpose and were still fun every time I visited the park, which was every year, and sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.

Even the "Circle-vision" theater had an element of his "world in motion" theme, probably with the idea that people would be doing more long distance vacations in the future, and he was right!
    I see where you're coming from now. I agree that the rides themselves were shut down on account of cheapness and lack of vision, just as you say, not because they'd somehow gotten out of step with Walt's ideas. However, I do think that the whole "keeping up with the future" thing isn't just on the minds of the young whippersnappers around here (at 29, am I still a whippersnapper?). When it comes to why they can't figure out what to do with Tomorrowland as it stands, I think part of the reluctance is the feeling that if they make something like what went before, they'll please the hardcore fans, but that Joe Teenager will say that it's boring and outdated, and you can't run a park on hardcore fans alone. I don't agree with that view, but that's the feeling I get from what I've read and heard about management's approach to this. My view is more that having smart people with taste design your rides is a heck of a lot more important than how well they resonate with what middle-aged people think teenagers like. Since smart people with taste seem to be in short supply these days, at least in positions of authority, they'd do well to take a look back at what the team Disney himself put together came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^^^ Outstanding posts disneylandfan and CDW! You guys have totally nailed the spirit, philosophy and soul of what Tomorrowland was all about.

Thank you very much!

does anyone have a date or rough time frame when TL closes for the big refurbishment?
    Disneyland Trips:
    12/05(first time ever!) 8/09, 9/10, 4/11, and 6/13!

Quote Originally Posted by Dec2005 View Post
    does anyone have a date or rough time frame when TL closes for the big refurbishment?
    Considering that its nothing more than a rumor, no.

After listening to the recent episode of the Coffee with Kurtti podcast, where they were doing exactly what many of us are doing on this thread (Armchair Imagineering), I heard the host mention an idea of turning TL into a "science-fantasy" themed land. Basically, this would allow for rides such as Buzz and Star Tours to have a place and not be held to the original TL's theme of "a vision of things to come"; because let's be honest, as much as we may want to, we are not headed to any galaxies far, far away any time soon.
    I think this would be a wise move, and I would love it meshed with the theme of "spaceport in an urban city of tomorrow". Let's look at the various lands of Disneyland shall we: we have Main St., a fantasized version of a non-distinct main street from the turn of the 19th century; Adventureland, again a fantasized exploration of exotic jungle across the world (w/o the need of a malaria shot); New Orleans Square, another fantasized trip, this time to New Orleans circa 1850's, complete with pirates of the past and mansion-crashing ghosts; Critter Country, a (say it with me now) fantasized place where bears, foxes, rabbits, and other various woodland creatures sing and dance; Frontierland, a (it's an oldie but a goodie) fantasized look at the old west; and finally Toontown and Fantasyland... do I really need to say it. So after looking at the park in this way, I agree with the OP that Tomorrowland shouldn't go back to what is was in the 60's (a 1967 look of the future), it should go the fantasy route, complimented with elements of science and things that may manifest one day.
    As for the spaceport idea: I feel Tomorrowland doesn't work well because it doesn't have a specific location to imagine yourself in like all the other lands do. Basically, you are walking past buildings with various rides that loosely fit with a theme of "tomorrow"; very loosely. However, how much better would it be, if each building housed a different shuttle into space? Perhaps you'd like to take a trip to Coruscant, or battle Zurg, or just simply flip around in space. Take out the People mover track, since it seriously sounds like it can and will never be used again, move the rocket jets back up top, push the Nemo entrance closer to FL (even though the boarding and un-boarding will still technically be in TL, and demolish Innoventions for use of a new attraction plus a beautiful background facade of the future non-distinct urban city the spaceport is located in, housed along the eastern border of TL. Oh, and finally, the Autopia. I mentioned this on Laughing Place a few days ago, utilize two developing technologies: 1) that will pave highways with solar absorbing panels that can power cities, or in this case all the outside lights in TL, and 2) coils embedded in the road that charge electric vehicles as they drive; and turn the Autopia into a roadway of the future (the highway taking you to and from the spaceport).
    In conclusion (sorry for the long post by the way), like the Bavarian village of Fantasyland or dusty desert tails of Frontierland, a story can once again be told in Tomorrowland, without a set date on when the story will end and a new one must be created to keep up with the times.
    Thanks for reading.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Wow, Bobsleder85, that is one well-thought-out redo! Quite an interesting option.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Down Pluto!

Well, they certainly could do away with some of the older structures. Tomorrowland needs more than just all right-angles with the occasional curved wall. Give us a look that says something different - something sleek and future modern... Something like this;

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-a-house-...rner-733510067

And look - it is already the colors of the moonliner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsleder85 View Post
    Thanks for reading.
    Disneyland will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world...

• Element of Laughter

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Then why did they put the Mary Blair murals in Tomorrowland? They would have easily fit in the Small Worls Mall area - and perhaps would have made more sense thematically there. So there must be something in those murals that would have made sense to have it in Tomorowland.
    They were supposed to be a reminder that tomorrow belongs to the children of today.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

I think the Tomorrowland of today has absolutely forgotten what it was and what it was supposed to be and it really is "Sci-Fi Land". Tomorrowland is supposed to be a place of wonder and excitement about the future. Walt described it when it opened as a place to experience the great positive future of the atomic age, the space age, and a vision of a peaceful and unified world.

Today however, you really get none of that. The only thing close to it is the Home of the Future which really is only looking 10 years into the future and actually many homes in America and around the world already have many features exhibited in the "Home of the Future". Everything else is just a science fiction ride that makes people say "oooh and aaah" instead of getting children and young people excited about the real future and encourge them to become a part of making it a reality.

Tomorrowland needs to be re-imagined (not just given a different looking facade and calling it an improvement). When it opened in 1955, it imagined the world of 1986.. 31 years into the future and nearly 30 years old today. Tomorrowland needs to get back to its roots, not in any kind of aesthetically nostalgic way, because really what are people nostalgic about... the specific designs and art by specific artists or the experience of having an optimistic and excited outlook on the future? That's what we need again.

For this thought experiment/armchair imagineering session let's say they start refurbishments early in 2014 and they fully open in the summer of 2015. So if we have the new Tomorrowland opening in 2015, I believe it should be set in the year 2055. 40 years into the future and symbolically being the year of Disneyland's 100th Anniversary.

I could write a whole thread on this (and perhaps I may), but here is just one idea of the kind of rides we should have in the new Tomorrowland:

Mission to Mars (Sponsored by SpaceX or Virgin Galactic) - The desire for humans to visit the red planet has never been more appealing and never more realistic than our modern day. Currently several world governments and private organizations all plan to make trips and permanent colonies on Mars ranging anywhere from 2020 at the earliest to 2040 at the absolute latest. In the year 2055, permanent colonies and tens of thousands of people living permanently on Mars is a well known reality. In Mission to Mars you enter the ride in a large interactive line queue giving you vivid interactive displays detailing future history of the first missions to the red planet and the first colonial efforts. It could mention and give cool animations of Lunar bases/colonies as well and tie that into the story being told and also discuss potential international efforts or conflicts brought about by the colonization. The ride would borrow from Mission: Space and go one step further. First you would enter a ship from Earth (either SpaceX or Virgin, depending on the sponsor) and you rocket up to a large rotating space station. During your simulated trip up to the space station you are told that you have been chosen as part of an elite unit testing a new warp engine that could bring the trips between Mars down from 30 days to only a few minutes. You begin your briefing on the simulated ship, which rockets you up just like Mission: Space, but then you get out into a moving platform on the spinning space station. Large windows and high def screens give guests an amazing view of the Earth and Moon from space as the station slowly turns. You move along and get more details of your mission. You then enter another simulator that is the experimental vehicle with warp engines. You strap in and are each given individual tasks to do just like in Mission: Space. You thrust out and move away from the space station with simulated zero gravity. You're then thrust into the experimental warp drive as you blast off toward Mars. You arrive at the planet but the engine is still moving too fast. You zoom past one of the moons of Mars, where you briefly see a small mining facility operating, and you rocket into the atmosphere. You stabilize the flight but are still going too fast to land. You fly through Mars and the large colony domes with dense greenhouses and small cities inside. Finally you stabilize and land on a platform and get towed into the Mars colony. You are debriefed and the person in charge thanks you for your service and jokes about the system needing a few kinks worked out! You exit and the entire exit queue and shop when you exit the ride and made to look like you are on Mars and looking out of a giant dome, complete with tv screens as you walk out welcoming you to Mars and giving a news and weather update.
    I imagine this ride replacing the Starcade and possible Captain EO theater as well. It would be an amazing experience and not that hard to build since all the technology has been worked out on Mission: Space already. Just the story and ride experience would be new.

As I said, this is just one option. I can see plenty of other attractions and exhibits for Innoventions that would draw big crowds... A better ASIMO show making it more of a pitch-man show trying to sell you a home robot. An exhibit on bio-tech and growing new organs for people to extend lifespan and cure diseases. An exhibit about future clean tech with advanced solar, wind, and possibly fusion power. A future cyber world that is advanced and ultra-connected with tech integrated into nearly everything. A virtual reality room like a holo-deck used by scientists to explore microscopic things in more detail or for recreation to go on a run or bike ride through any part of the world you choose. Etc.

All we need to make Tomorrowland great and what it was originally meant to be is just a little imagination!
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Element of Laughter

Personally, what I would like to see for Tomorrowland is a mash-up of the original 1955 Tomorrowland and the 1967 "World on the Move" Tomorrowland. What I mean by that is they do "World on the Move", but how it would have looked if they had done it back in 1955.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

Thanks Attic Haunt and Circa1966! :-)

They're doing a bit of this over at DCA with the period-appropriate "citizens" who walk and ride around Buena Vista Street. I think your idea would add a lot of vitality to Tomorrowland.

• Minion

What is the future going to be like? When I was a kid, we all thought that by the year 2000, we'd be flying around in cars like the Jetsons. And that there would be cities in space, cities undersea, and everything would be clean and perfect. Didn't happen obviously, but that was the vision of the future back then. What is now the vision of the future?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    What is the future going to be like? When I was a kid, we all thought that by the year 2000, we'd be flying around in cars like the Jetsons. And that there would be cities in space, cities undersea, and everything would be clean and perfect. Didn't happen obviously, but that was the vision of the future back then. What is now the vision of the future?
    I think our vision of the future is still cities undersea. Just now they've been flooded from climate change instead of built there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast