Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Tomorrowland Redo Should Not be a Return to the Past

When I browse this site I regularly notice speculation and desires for a Tomorrowland refurbishment. However I notice one desire which constantly confuses me, people expressing their wish to return to the 1966 Tomorrowland design, with Mary Blair Murals, Astro Jets, Peoplemovers, and Circlevisions. Yet every time I look at photos of 1966-1997 Tomorrowland I see the future as envisioned in 1966. 47 years have passed since then. The 1966 Tomorrowland in my view is dated, and any future refurbishment of Tomorrowland should not be a carbon copy of the 1966 version.

This though begs the question, what exactly is wrong with the current Tommorowland? How could a land with a popular E-ticket coaster and an excellent D-Ticket simulator be hated by so many fans? It is all in the lack of details; while the minimalist approach worked in 1966, modern audiences have become used to highly detailed Science Fiction stories. Tomorrowland lacks the detail seen in other areas of the park (such as New Orleans, Adventureland, Cars Land, ect. ect. ect.), giving the impression the future is a city with nobody living in it. Returning to the minimalist 1966 design patterns would only further the lack of detail.

Instead of looking to the past Disneyland should actually look to the future for Tomorrowland. Every facade other than Space Mountain's should be removed and reworked to a represent modern futurism. The Peoplemover track should be removed, and only replaced if a visually pleasing and OSHA complaint ride can be installed. Buzz, EO, Nemo, Autopia, and Innoventions should be seriously updated or replaced with new rides. Most importantly a redone Tomorrowland should carry detail galore, relying on Imagineering's famously complex prop setting and backstories (yet not the extent the land becomes cluttered like the WDW Tomorrowland). These details should convey the sense of a future people live in, not a sterile neutron bomb cleansed city from 1966.

• Minion

Re: Tomorrowland Redo Should Not be a Return to the Past

Nice ideas. And welcome to MiceChat

I think its a nostalgia factor for many MiceChatters as they grew up with that Tomorrowland. Personally, for me, the current design isn't working for me because it is all just a cobbled together mess. You got Jules Verne inspired entrance, a 90's interpretation of the future for Star Tours and Astro Blasters entrance, the 70's/80's interpretation of the future on Space Mountain, and the retro 60's remnants of the old Tomorrowland such as the Peoplemover Track, Monorail, and Moonliner above that pizza joint. You have interpretations of the future from the 60's, 70's/80's, and 90's all mixed into one. It sounds fine on paper since it could be an homage to what people would think the future would be like, but put into practice, it just doesn't work. In fact, Tomorrowland's design is very troublesome indeed. The idea of what the future changes a lot, and with how fast technology is developing right now, today's interpretation of the future could drastically change in 5 years time.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

^Bongo, nostalgia seems to be a big factor in a lot of fan ideas about Disneyland.
    I also agree the jarring futurism style's detracts from the design, I would like to also point out how the 2000's interiors in the refurbished Star Tours and Space Mountain clashes with the older exterior and the 70's themes of the rides.
    P.S. Could not help but noticing the link to Eurobricks, neat to see another AFOL on MiceChat.
    Last edited by xboxtravis7992; 03-24-2013 at 07:33 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    When I browse this site I regularly notice speculation and desires for a Tomorrowland refurbishment. However I notice one desire which constantly confuses me, people expressing their wish to return to the 1966 Tomorrowland design, with Mary Blair Murals, Astro Jets, Peoplemovers, and Circlevisions. Yet every time I look at photos of 1966-1997 Tomorrowland I see the future as envisioned in 1966. 47 years have passed since then. The 1966 Tomorrowland in my view is dated, and any future refurbishment of Tomorrowland should not be a carbon copy of the 1966 version.

This though begs the question, what exactly is wrong with the current Tommorowland? How could a land with a popular E-ticket coaster and an excellent D-Ticket simulator be hated by so many fans? It is all in the lack of details; while the minimalist approach worked in 1966, modern audiences have become used to highly detailed Science Fiction stories. Tomorrowland lacks the detail seen in other areas of the park (such as New Orleans, Adventureland, Cars Land, ect. ect. ect.), giving the impression the future is a city with nobody living in it. Returning to the minimalist 1966 design patterns would only further the lack of detail.

Instead of looking to the past Disneyland should actually look to the future for Tomorrowland. Every facade other than Space Mountain's should be removed and reworked to a represent modern futurism. The Peoplemover track should be removed, and only replaced if a visually pleasing and OSHA complaint ride can be installed. Buzz, EO, Nemo, Autopia, and Innoventions should be seriously updated or replaced with new rides. Most importantly a redone Tomorrowland should carry detail galore, relying on Imagineering's famously complex prop setting and backstories (yet not the extent the land becomes cluttered like the WDW Tomorrowland). These details should convey the sense of a future people live in, not a sterile neutron bomb cleansed city from 1966.
    Welcome to MiceChat, that was an awesome post.

• Special Agent

....Buzz, EO, Nemo, Autopia, and Innoventions should be seriously updated or replaced with new rides.
    It's funny how much hate Innoventions receives from the fans, considering it is the closest model of Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland than any other part of the land.

I think it's just ok to admit that Walt's vision for the land didn't work. Futurism is pretty much dead and Tomorrowland should be replaced with either a Star Wars land or some kind of Marvel/Iron Man thing.

• Artistic integrity

When I browse this site I regularly notice speculation and desires for a Tomorrowland refurbishment. However I notice one desire which constantly confuses me, people expressing their wish to return to the 1966 Tomorrowland design, with Mary Blair Murals, Astro Jets, Peoplemovers, and Circlevisions.
    Maybe some members here a very young, and never got to experience them, and wish they could today? And perhaps people would rather have something that was original, and not an exploitation of the latest trendy franchises - such as Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars, now. And perhaps some would would rather have the brightly positive "white" Tomorrowland .. instead of the moody and depressing "Blade Runner" land ... that it's become today. And perhaps ... people just recognize those attractions and cohesive exterior designs ... that first generation imagineers created ... is just more in line what the land should be ... than what Disney does today. Because certainly ... you see what Tomorrowland has become in the last 20 years ... and best to wish for a "recovery of the better years" .... than wish for the current breed of imagineers to essentially do more "Nemo, and Buzz" enhancements. And not everybody thinks those are exactly the kind of enhancements that make Tomorrowland a better place.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I want people from the future roaming around and interacting with people. I want people have just gotten back from "space" walking around in a new space uniform. Performance from people, actors, teaching about space and travel and the solar system. Everyone expects changes to the actual buildings but I want changes to the character in terms of presence of space travelers and visionaries of the future educating while they roam Tomorrowland.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Rumor is Innoventions, Autopia and Nemo will be gone to make way for Star Wars themed attractions....Just sayin....

• Banned User

Any realistic redo of Tomorrowland should start with the immediate defunding and disassembling of any and all space-themed attractions. Then they should construct a sort of medical center where you can go in and have simulated treatments and procedures performed. The line for this attraction should be six months to a year long. Special tickets just for this attraction would be required to be purchased by every person in the country, whether or not they want them, or would ever even use them.

"The World of Tomorrow"

• New Member Goes Forth

Great ideas guys. We need to send these to Immagineering
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It's funny how much hate Innoventions receives from the fans, considering it is the closest model of Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland than any other part of the land.
    And it's also worth noting (as you left out) ... it has much to do with it's execution.

A lot more thought put into it ... and it could have come out great.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Nice post, welcome to Micechat.
    Now, some points to your post are accurate although I don't believe most here really want to go back to 1967 Tomorrowland.
    I do agree that the facades need to be redesigned although a "reworked to a represent modern futurism" design would have the same inherent problems as the present facades have in that they will become outdated sooner than later. The rocks out on the Hub need to be removed not only for aesthetics but traffic flow. Either move the Astro Orbitor back to it's original location or just get rid of it altogether. Get rid of that eyesore piece of junk Observatron. It would be nice to have something on the Peoplemover track to give the land some type of kinetic activity, if you watch movies like Blade Runner and the unfortunate Star Wars prequels, there is all kinds of activity going on in the cityscape. The detail galore you speak of is a needed aspect and to go further with that more interactivity would go along way especially in a land of the future. Tomorrowland needs to be "Alive" so to speak with activity and right now it is a dead zone. Original ideas need to be used in Tomorrowland and not franchise properties, I'm sure the Imagineers can come up with something without Burbank shoving franchise stuff down their gullets.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day."

This was the theme of Tomorrowland. Not the future, not science fiction, not modern technological marvels. Tomorrowland was about Walt's dream of a perfect utopian society with the world living in peace. The Mary Blair murals as a reflection of the theme of its a small world only reinforced this ideal. It wasn't there to show what the world will be like, but how the future should feel like - with everyone living as one.

This is what Walt was concerned with at the very end of his life. And it didn't end there. EPCOT was his next step in the development of this goal. Sadly he died before he could see this, and so did Imagineering. I'd say they should restore the murals not due to nostalgia nor due to aesthetics. But simply to address the original intent of Tomorrowland. Without this overlying theme, Tomorrowland ceases to make any sense.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 03-25-2013 at 05:42 AM.

• Senior Minion

^ Nail on the head!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast