Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Enchanted Tiki Room will turn 50 Years Old this Year - How Will You Celebrate

Please note that the gods have been angered by all the celebratin'.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: The Enchanted Tiki Room will turn 50 Years Old this Year - How Will You Celebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I'll try to be there.

Tiki was very popular in the early '60s, especially in Southern California, and Walt saw an opportunity that has endured for half a century. Huell Howser did a show on Tiki, but he didn't mention the DL attraction.

I first experienced this show in 1976. I loved it so much that I brought in a tape recorder and taped the soundtrack. How was I to know that the Offenbach section would be cut out? Can we talk them into bringing it back?
    Getting them to put the Offenbach back would be a long shot - That's adds a good 2 to 2-1/2 Minutes back into the show running time, meaning they will have three to five fewer showings a day, and potentially 300 - 500 less people through the show.

Now that there are no more tickets, the quantity of turnstile clicks is all they can point to as an indicator of the popularity of a ride or show.

What I want to do for the Tiki Room 50th is probably not possible any more -I'd love a tour of the Basement Circa 1963 and Circa 2013. I know what the "State Of The Art" was in 1963 and I'd love to see how they managed to lash it together and pull it off. Multiple instrumentation recorders and a switching system that reused 40 or 50 motion channels between all of the performers. (If they weren't "On", they just sat there and turned their head or blinked.

Then fast forward to Now, when they've probably got it all running on a PLC with a metric ton of I/O Cards running on an ARM processor, plugged into a glorified iPod for the music source...
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    What I want to do for the Tiki Room 50th is probably not possible any more -I'd love a tour of the Basement Circa 1963 and Circa 2013. I know what the "State Of The Art" was in 1963 and I'd love to see how they managed to lash it together and pull it off. Multiple instrumentation recorders and a switching system that reused 40 or 50 motion channels between all of the performers. (If they weren't "On", they just sat there and turned their head or blinked.

Then fast forward to Now, when they've probably got it all running on a PLC with a metric ton of I/O Cards running on an ARM processor, plugged into a glorified iPod for the music source...
    Yep, all PLC these days. A whole room full of relays and timers is now a PLC less than 6" X 6".

I do a lot of electrical control work, some of the systems (like power plants) have several thousand control wires. I'd bet the Tiki Room has at least that many.

I can't even imagine the complexity of removing the old system and hooking everything up to PLC blocks.

P.S. A PLC is a Programmable Logic Controller. It's basically a computer that's designed to run a program and in turn, control machinery.

I will tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• is poppin' tags

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Hmmm..... I can think about all the times I have been entertained by singing birds or startled by thunder and lightning or dazed by the pounding of rhythmic drums and native chants through the years. I can think about all the pineapple floats (not whips) I have enjoyed waiting for the room to open and the show to start. Mostly I will think about all the people, some of whom have now passed on, that I have had the opportunity to share with what is a wonderful Disneyland tradition and experience. Thanks Walt!
    Wow. This was awesome. That is how I regard the Tiki Room. There are a few people in my life that have marveled at the antics of the Tiki Room birds. Most of them are dead. I will NEVER go to Disneyland without getting myself a DoleWhip and sitting in at the TikiRoom. It is a very important place to me as an adult. As a child, I did not care for it much. But I'm here now. I'm a big-time DisneyNerd. *waving proud flag*
    Last edited by leopardchucks; 03-27-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: my drunk spelling is sub par
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I saw something mentioned on tikiroom.com. Let me see if I can dig up the page.

Here it is:

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary
    Thank you! It looks like they're having events the 28th and 29th, which is unfortunate for me as I work those days. I wonder if they'll release any pins or anything commemorating the anniversary sooner?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I'll celebrate by having roasted parrot with a pineapple glaze.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    I'll celebrate by having roasted parrot with a pineapple glaze.
    Your avatar pretty much depicts my thoughts when I read this! Hahaha

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Dole Whip with some rum!
    oh see now your talking! Haa!

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    What do you think the odds are that Tiki-Maynard will the working a double shift that day?

hmmm good point! and question!

well either way, i am with Alabas. girl if i don't make it i will plan on doing something tropical in honor of that day!

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Grab a dole whip, talk or cuddle with your pet parrot companion and enjoy the let's all sing like the birdie sings!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123