Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vmk

Smile Vmk

Does anyone remember the online game VMK (virtual magic kingdom)? For those of you who don't know what it is, It was a online game that was basically a virtual Disneyland. They had all the lands, and you could interact with other players and obtain pins and other items. It was a really fun way to get a Disney experience online, at anytime. Disney shut it down due to the fact that it was only a promotion but they got a huge backlash. People who put a lot of time into the game were pretty furious. I made videos discussing the issue, and I ended up being interviewed by newspapers and even did a radio interview. It was a pretty big deal that it was getting shut down. Do you guys think that something like VMK should be opened again? And if so, what changes would you make to make the Disney experience more realistic? Would you be willing to pay to get a membership?

• Disneyland Nomad

Re: Vmk

I would if they brought it back...I still have my cards
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

• Selfie Expert

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Oh, well that's interesting. I think I've heard about it before and seen a few advertisements for it a while back. I didn't know it was shut down. What was the reason for why Disney decided to abandon it?

I remember when I was a kid, Disney had a different online kid-friendly, game site. I don't remember what it was called though but I remember it had a lot of different things. I believe you had to pay for it, but I was given a free trial for a few weeks. I remember there was this detective comic or something, featuring a brain in a jar? And it went around solving crime? I don't remember the exact premise but I remember loving that series. Also on the site, you were also able to read user-submitted jokes and it featured some sort of alien guy. I remember one time submitting a joke, and I think maybe a few months later I got a package in the mail addressed to me from that website! I opened it and inside was a t-shirt and a letter "from" the alien on the website saying something like 'I bet you're surprised to receive this letter. You submitted a joke to us a few months ago and it got a few chuckles and we thought you deserved a free shirt' or something of that sort. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever and proudly wore that t-shirt everywhere! It was a really cool site and I loved being on it. I was quite sad when my free trial was over. I begged my mother so much to continue my membership lol. Ah those were the days.

Sorry, I totally went off topic. I had a sudden wave of nostalgia lol. But yeah, I think it would be cool if Disney made another kid-friendly site again! If VMK was anything like the site I went on when I was a kid, it would be a hit! As long as it's fun, interesting, and has lots of creative content to make the experience immersive. When you're a kid, everything is cool when you have something designed just for you.

BTW, anybody happen to know what I'm talking about? I don't remember what the site was called and now it's bugging me. It was created in the '90s, I believe. Please tell me! It's going to drive me nuts D:

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

VMK was a big deal during its day. In fact, Micechat even had a sub-forum dedicated to it when it was around. The forum is gone now obviously but if you search VMK maybe some of the archived threads will pull up?

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I loved that game. It was the thing that got me into Disney. The reason why they shut it down was because Disney was not the one running the show. Disney licenced out to a second party and when the 50th ended and the game did not it got very costly for them to pay to have it operated. So of instead of them paying to perform the game themselves they just shut it down.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Parking Lot > DCA

I remember VMK, I think I may have even had an account at some point. I remember it being cool because it was a nice Disney dose when you couldn't get to the park but I never got super into it.

It has a pretty large fan base still here on MiceChat from what I've seen.

• Dont make me unfriend you

My kids played on VMK back in the day. Disney also has Club Penguin. You can play for free or get a membership that allows more areas and more stuff. My kids play that on and off too. Club Penguin seems more geared for the younger kids.

My daughter really liked VMK.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Minion

VMK was my favorite game back in the day. You can still find it online if you Google it, but obviously there are a lot of changes. It's a single-player mirror of the game. You can still go to all the different places, but it's more of a sandbox type of thing rather than earning anything to decorate your room or interacting with characters.

• Just this guy......

VMK was a great idea, a lot of fun, and it was a pity that they shut it down.

• Minion

I used to be obsessed with that game. My username was Purple Mountains.

I played it a bit, but eventually got bored (and I started nitpicking the inaccurate depictions of the lands). However my sister played it much longer than I did and has many fond memories of VMK. She likes to tell us about the overstrict moderators who banned people for the making the weirdest comments. Neither of us where playing VMK by the time it was shut down though.

• Disneyland Nomad

wow I just realized its been 8 years... Thats nuts, time fly.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

It was a fun game to play with the whole family, but I don't think it will ever be brought back.

Maybe a Facebook game. Zynga and "DisneyVille" perhaps....

Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Maybe they should have a D23 VMK booth for those wanting to share stories, merchandise, if any, set up monitors to actually play the game, a nod to the past.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast