Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Went Back to Disneyland

It's been two years since I went to Disneyland, so I had the opportunity to experience the new attractions last weekend.

Here are my takeaways.

PROs:

Fantasmic Dessert -- great seating with a great CM (best one I met the entire time I was in the parks)

RSR -- great ride and short line if you go single rider; rode this twice--waited at most 15 minutes

Wine Country Trattoria -- ate here twice; best food I was able to find in the parks--I'd like more food options, though.

Star Tours -- great ride; however, a kid almost projectile vomited on my girlfriend as we got off the ride (his puke just missed her)

Fireworks -- far better show than two years ago

Pirates -- looks great

Indiana Jones -- looks great

More healthy food choices at the vendors, but it's pasta and soup in bread bowls everywhere else.

FENCE:

Disneyland Parade -- better than last time, but they still used that celebration song (remixed).

World of Color -- I get pirates but no Star Wars. What's the deal?

CONs:

French Market Restaurant -- my girlfriend got food poisoning, and I got an upset stomach. I won't eat here again. Looks like just bad food prep practices. I'm guessing cross contamination.

Red Rockett's Pizza Port -- bad tasting food, but two PROs: it's inside and we got a 20% off discount receipt

Little Mermaid Ride -- beautiful building, but the ride is a let down. I expected this to be at least better than Snow White, and it wasn't.

Carsland -- the theming could have been done a lot better. Besides RSR, there isn't much to do here for adults or teenagers. This area needs at least one more good attraction, and the shops need merchandise that fit the theme. I was very disappointed by Sarge's. And I was afraid to eat at Flo's. It looked like lunch meat with gravy. Can somebody comment on this one? Besides the Trattoria restaurant, I'd like another good food option at DCA.

Smoking Areas in the Parks -- come on guys, move these out of the park; kids go to these parks.

Stuff that Just Went Wrong:

Lilly Bell -- I tried every day to get reservations, and I failed. I need some tips for this one.

Jazz Kitchen -- They didn't have fried green tomatoes for some reason, but the food was good

Swings -- My girlfriend's favorite attraction was supposed to be running, but it was down. And the signage upfront was often wrong.

CMs -- I had a mix of luck with CMs such as a girl in the information booth afraid to use the phone, so her coworker called for her. (Her signage was wrong.) I had a CM that didn't know to tell me to get reservations for the Lilly Bell the first day I showed up. I had a CM that told me that I couldn't sit in open seats at Fantasy Faire after the kid and her mom moved to sit upfront on the carpet.

Tickets -- So my girlfriend forgot her ticket at the hotel. So she went to the ticket booth to see if they could look her up since they took her picture and captured her info. But the systems don't talk. The good news was that she got a complimentary ticket; the bad news is that it took a long time before it was offered. Guys, if you're gonna move us to MyMagic+, maybe have systems that talk.

Food Poisoning -- I'm guessing it was cross contamination at French Market--ruined half a day for my girlfriend. Why is Disneyland so bad with food?

Canoes. I really wanted to ride them, but they weren't running when I went over to them.

Surprises:

Why is it so hard to find hot chocolate? Really, it's cold at night during fireworks. However, we found Mickey Snuggies that were awesome. My girlfriend wondered why the vendors during the fireworks weren't selling the snuggies.

What happened to the Ice Cream shop? It looks so different now.

Photo passes. At WDW, they shove these down your throat. At Disneyland, they're just tough to get. But seeing characters is a lot easier. We had a great experience by Winnie the Pooh.

What's Disney's fascination with soup in bread bowls? I don't remember this two years ago.

Entertainment. It's improved a lot. I just sat down by the bathrooms near the fire station, and within minutes, you have character pictures going on and someone singing either by the fire station or by Lincoln. This aspect of the park has improved a ton.

Re: Went Back to Disneyland

I second the recommendation for the Trattoria- it's fantastic!

Sounds like you had a pretty good visit, aside from the food poisoning (sorry).
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Surprised at your reaction to Cars Land, proof that everybody has different opinions though. Also upset about the food incidents, especially seeing I enjoy eating at the New Orleans Square eateries. Glad you enjoyed most of the park though.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Surprised at your reaction to Cars Land, proof that everybody has different opinions though. Also upset about the food incidents, especially seeing I enjoy eating at the New Orleans Square eateries. Glad you enjoyed most of the park though.
    Don't get me wrong. I love Disney. But my experience every time is a balanced between what's awesome, Fantasmic Dessert experience, and what sucks, food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post

Smoking Areas in the Parks -- come on guys, move these out of the park; kids go to these parks.

Stuff that Just Went Wrong:

Lilly Bell -- I tried every day to get reservations, and I failed. I need some tips for this one.

Canoes. I really wanted to ride them, but they weren't running when I went over to them.

What's Disney's fascination with soup in bread bowls? I don't remember this two years ago.
    1. Agreed! 2. I'm looking forward to the tips others give you on the Lilly Belle. 3. We had a hard time getting on the canoes also. After I finally did I was bummed at how much of a workout it really was! Hope you can get on this one next time. 4.I like the soup but the bread boule is ridiculous. As is the spelling! You can get the soup without the bread boule. But then you really need a roll. Why can't this meal be balanced?! 5. Thanks for the report! It's a great update. I need to fashion my reports after some of these. I tend to give too many details.

• formerly very helpful

I'll tell you that I've eaten at Flo's and have had a good meal each time. No complaints.

• Disneyland Nomad

My friends and I got lilly belle once, but we were there at like park opening and they barely had any spots left. We got a spot for 130 in the afternoon, they must schedule those rides with the private tours. Have you done the tender ride, that was awesome too!!!
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

• I love that tiny bear!

Sorry about the bad parts of your trip.

You didn't like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree? That's one of my favorite rides! When I first heard about it before Cars Land opened, I was concerned that it would be too much Mater and too much country music and it would drive me mad. But I find the ride fun, being swung around in your tractor, and it just makes me giggle to hear him sing.

(Then again, with the food poisoning...OK, fair enough if you didn't enjoy that ride. )

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    1. Agreed! 2. I'm looking forward to the tips others give you on the Lilly Belle. 3. We had a hard time getting on the canoes also. After I finally did I was bummed at how much of a workout it really was! Hope you can get on this one next time. 4.I like the soup but the bread boule is ridiculous. As is the spelling! You can get the soup without the bread boule. But then you really need a roll. Why can't this meal be balanced?! 5. Thanks for the report! It's a great update. I need to fashion my reports after some of these. I tend to give too many details.
    1. We are getting closer to that every day.

2. Ask right away in the morning at the Main Street Station, which is open again. The Lilly Belle doesn't alwasy operate, only when it's cold to warm and dry.

3. The Canoes don't always operate. The close on slow days and get maintained midweek and over the colder season through the weekend for larger projects.

4. Bread boules make the meals more filling and increase value, even though the bread cost much less than the soup. It's cheap to sell, and a better deal as perceived by guests.

The real key to a successful visit, is education and planning, not unreal expectations.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'll tell you that I've eaten at Flo's and have had a good meal each time. No complaints.
    Is it lunch meat, or is it actual carved meat? And where were the cast members on skates? I expected Flo's to be at least better than Ruby's Diner.

• Under that tree again!

If it was food poisoning, it likely was caught from somewhere other than the French Market. Often people wrongly assume that it's caused by their last meal. Norovirus is usually the cause of the illness and you contract it a day or two before symptoms appear.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    If it was food poisoning, it likely was caught from somewhere other than the French Market. Often people wrongly assume that it's caused by their last meal. Norovirus is usually the cause of the illness and you contract it a day or two before symptoms appear.
    Take your pick: Food poisoning: Causes - MayoClinic.com This seems like the most likely cause: Staphylococcus aureus.

I suspect she got sick from the beef stew at the French Market. We had pound cake at Starbucks in the morning for breakfast. The night before we ate Lamb Shanks at the Trattoria at DCA for dinner, and our lunch was at the Fisherman's Market on the way with breakfast at Einstein's Bagels. The stew makes the most sense since how the counter was setup at the French Market with it being right next to the salad prep.

• formerly very helpful

Is it lunch meat, or is it actual carved meat? And where were the cast members on skates? I expected Flo's to be at least better than Ruby's Diner.
    It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, I had a pretty darn good turkey dinner, which would have been good any Thanksgiving. Real meat there.
    As for skating waitresses, I think that's just for a show, but I never really saw it.

It's actual meat and Flo's is one of the best places to eat in DCA

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    It's actual meat and Flo's is one of the best places to eat in DCA
    Nice. They need to re-shoot those pics. They look like lunch meat with gravy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast