Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Filmmaker

Re: Handicapped guest trapped in ‘It’s a Small World’ wins lawsuit

To be fair, I can understand how, espcially if paralized, it could be extremely disconcerting to be stuck on a ride for an extended period of time, not knowing when they'll be able to get it started again. That being said, is it $8,000 worth of disconcerting? I'm not convinced.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

this country is screwed up!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Minion

I can't help but think that instead of re-evaluating evacuation procedures for disabled guests, we'll just get more "duh" warnings plastered/announced everywhere on each ride. A new warning telling you that the ride might break down while you're on it.

And 30 minutes? Really? There have been instances where guests have been stuck on rides for a helluva lot longer than that, disabled or not. Me, I worry about being stuck on a ride for a lengthly amount of time and having to go to the bathroom really bad. I'm sure that CMs wouldn't care how much pain I was in or even if I ended up having an accident, I still wouldn't be getting off the ride until they're ready to let me off. How do you think that lawsuit would go?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    However, what if the ride had been on fire? What if something else dangerous had been happening? What if one of the other guests had somehow fallen, gotten ill or been unable to walk?

They didn't have a way to evac that guy or anyone else who might have had problems and regardless of the situation that is an issue.
    This is a personal opinion, but if the ride was on fire, I doubt proper evacuation procedures would be followed. If a fire is approaching, I would have no problem picking up a disabled person and carrying them to the exit. That being said, not everyone is 6'4" and capable of such a task. My guess is that in a non emergency situation CM's are not allowed to take such drastic measures to evacuate guests in wheelchairs. Again, I have no knowledge of the policy in such situations.

• Foolish Mortal

I wonder if he used a GAC to access the ride, if so, don't they normally ask you pertinent questions regarding a potential ride evac?

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Was he in danger? No. Was he slightly inconvenienced? Yes. This is why we can not have nice things.
    He could have been in danger if his medical issues started to become an issue while being stuck on the ride.

He obviously isn't suing for money, my bet is the 8k is to cover the legal fees if anything, but likely sued to have things changed such as the article says, warning those who are disabled that they could be stuck for a longer period of time then the average guest should a ride break down, seems fair to me.

I had no idea that they would not evacuate a disabled person in an event like this, had he known this maybe he would have chose not to ride.

Its a big no no to leave a disabled person for example sitting alone in a wheel chair at an airport and can get the airline in deep water, so how could anyone agree that leaving someone stuck in a ride is okay, while everyone else got off?

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    This is a personal opinion, but if the ride was on fire, I doubt proper evacuation procedures would be followed. If a fire is approaching, I would have no problem picking up a disabled person and carrying them to the exit. That being said, not everyone is 6'4" and capable of such a task. My guess is that in a non emergency situation CM's are not allowed to take such drastic measures to evacuate guests in wheelchairs. Again, I have no knowledge of the policy in such situations.

How deep is the water? Two feet? If the ride was on fire someone could get out and push the boat.

Small claims court has a limit of $10,000. He got $8,000 his lawyer got $2,000, although you don`t need a lawyer for small claims, you can do it yourself.

I don't know the details of the case but judging by the quote in the OP, it may be that cast members ignored their own safety procedures. The article says that firefighters could have been called. Maybe the cast members thought the firefighters would take longer than the repair.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I wonder if those riders that were stranded 300 feet in the air for three hours on Windseeker are possibly reconsidering a lawsuit?
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    What if he was on a vent and couldn't leave his chair? A lot of people who don't transfer out of their wheelchairs don't transfer because they are on some sort of supportive equipment that is attached to them/the chair.

IMHO the bottom line is that you shouldn't let someone on a ride unless there is a clear and set plan to get them off the ride in case of an emergency or breakdown, whether the guests are able-bodied or not. That means contingency for disabled/elderly/mobility impaired guests. In this case there wasn't any danger except an earworm or two. It does raise the question as to how Disney would get people out in a true emergency, or why they didn't choose to call the fire department to evac the guy, physically push the boat up enough to put out an emergency ramp, something.

If everyone is stuck on the ride for 30 minutes, c'est la vie. I'm sure at that point some would be angry and ask why they weren't evaced, too. On the other hand if everyone else gets out and the one disabled person is stuck there because they can't pull him for some reason...that's the issue.

If you do research on this case, the guy that sued is someone that has looked for any and all reasons to sue and has a history of filing suits against Disney. At no time was he in "danger" physically and was in a sound state hence the decision not to elevate it to calling the fire department. He may have been inconvenienced...but the world does not owe him anything for that.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    What if he was on a vent and couldn't leave his chair? A lot of people who don't transfer out of their wheelchairs don't transfer because they are on some sort of supportive equipment that is attached to them/the chair.

IMHO the bottom line is that you shouldn't let someone on a ride unless there is a clear and set plan to get them off the ride in case of an emergency or breakdown, whether the guests are able-bodied or not. That means contingency for disabled/elderly/mobility impaired guests. In this case there wasn't any danger except an earworm or two. It does raise the question as to how Disney would get people out in a true emergency, or why they didn't choose to call the fire department to evac the guy, physically push the boat up enough to put out an emergency ramp, something.

If everyone is stuck on the ride for 30 minutes, c'est la vie. I'm sure at that point some would be angry and ask why they weren't evaced, too. On the other hand if everyone else gets out and the one disabled person is stuck there because they can't pull him for some reason...that's the issue.
    This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    If you do research on this case, the guy that sued is someone that has looked for any and all reasons to sue and has a history of filing suits against Disney. At no time was he in "danger" physically and was in a sound state hence the decision not to elevate it to calling the fire department. He may have been inconvenienced...but the world does not owe him anything for that.

When someone sues Disney, doesn't Disney issue a lifetime ban to the person from entering their parks? They should...

• -

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    When someone sues Disney, doesn't Disney issue a lifetime ban to the person from entering their parks? They should...
    They could actually get in big trouble for that. Especially if the lawsuit was valid like this one.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland Nomad

....how do you make a wheel chair vehicle, evacution possible when a person (not they person) cant get out of the of the chair. Not let them ride? build a safety ramp through every attractions? Guests will complain either way. Im sure this is why subs has a room for this, same with castle. Should ever ride have a room to avoid this, well then it isnt far they cant do it. Disneys in the last room in Mr. Toads Wild Ride either way. There is no way to escape stuff like this. Most of the people who ride that boat go twice, that is more that 30 minutes. Cases like these to me are so on the fence, he wanted to go on the ride, but every time you ride something, anyone your taking any risk.
    Last edited by karebear286; 03-26-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast