Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Handicapped guest trapped in ‘It’s a Small World’ wins lawsuit

I have had this happen to me. I was in the boat behind the safe unload zone and I had to sit there for 45 minutes to get to the dock.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• All-American

I worked a similar boat ride at WDW, and whenever we loaded a guest in a wheelchair onto a boat, we were required to give them a quick rundown of any extra safety information. I usually said something like "In the event of an emergency, there's a ten minute walk back to the entrance, or alternatively you may wait for assistance. Is that okay?" Technically we were required to hear consent from the guest before loading them, but CMs often didn't if we were busy. As soon as I participated in my first evac and realized the complications of evacuating a guest with a disability, I made absolutely sure to ask this of every guest like this (I am to this day extremely grateful that no handicapped guests were onboard during the first evac under my watch).

I could see Disneyland implementing a similar policy. It's not something that would have to be broadcast to every boat if it can be individually spoken to certain guests.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

I think Disney could have evacuated him or anyone else if they wanted to. Trust me, if the building was on fire, you'd see someone evacuating people from the boats and picking up someone in a wheel chair if necessary. Either Disney CM's thought the ride would be fixed soon than later OR they didnt relize the danger a 30min delay could cause guests. Disabled or not. I'm jesus, what if someone had the fried chicken at plaza inn the previous night. You'd have diarrhea the next day guaranteed. Then you'd be singing its a smelly world for half an hour.

I think the safety for all situations in disneyland should adhere to the "diarrhea factor" as a safety guideline.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I think Disney could have evacuated him or anyone else if they wanted to. Trust me, if the building was on fire, you'd see someone evacuating people from the boats and picking up someone in a wheel chair if necessary. Either Disney CM's thought the ride would be fixed soon than later OR they didnt relize the danger a 30min delay could cause guests. Disabled or not. I'm jesus, what if someone had the fried chicken at plaza inn the previous night. You'd have diarrhea the next day guaranteed. Then you'd be singing its a smelly world for half an hour.

I think the safety for all situations in disneyland should adhere to the "diarrhea factor" as a safety guideline.
    Post of the Year!!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland Nomad

A WAV vehicle has its good points it lets people on the ride that might other wise miss it. Everyone gets the same spiels. Cali has dosh, florida ask far as I was told doesnt them. They have approved what happens for them to get on, off, and evaced. Everything has hiccups.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How did they come up with this $8,000 figure. I'm surprised he didn't sue for some enormous amount.
    That's what I was thinking!

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    If a fire is approaching, I would have no problem picking up a disabled person and carrying them to the exit.
    Turning around and suing you for not lifting them properly.... "sure you saved my life, but you didn't lift me correctly"

• New Member Goes Forth

Well, he was going to win because of how poor the castmembers acted in this occasion
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Keep in mind that the gist of the ruling was that Disney had a duty to warn - not do anything else differently. If the case was heard in small claims court the ruling may have been made by a pro tem rather than an actual judge. This was a poor ruling in my HO, but in small claims things are fast and rulings are made often without much testimony.

I doubt if Disney will do things much different as a result of losing a tiny lawsuit. Maybe print up some cards to give to handicap guests telling them that in case a mechanical breakdown they may not be evacuated as quickly as other non-handicapped guests.

I get stuck in traffic for hours. Who do I get to sue? The truth is nobody ever takes responsibility for themselves anymore. It is always someone else's responsibility to have thought out all the possible solutions for your particular set of disabilities. Usually the deep pocket companies like Disney or Walmart get targeted for these type of law suits. You get stuck sitting on a boat, no big deal. There was no fire or other extreme danger to him. Oh but this person just happens to be prone to anxiety/panic attacks. Anxiety is one of the hardest things to disprove medically, tell a doctor you suffer from anxiety and you are almost instantly approved for medications like cannabis with no real testing needed. This guy made a quick and easy eight grand. I sometimes think there is no justice in this world. Then I remember this guy is paralyzed. Yeah that must suck, but suits like this make me feel a little less pity for him.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I havent been on Small World in years, but doesnt it also contain the signs saying "You should be or 'must' be in good health to ride. Dont ride if you have X condition?"

If it had those signs posted like every other ride, how did the suit not get tossed out? Is it because it didn't mention breakdown as well?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Getting a guest in a wheelchair out from inside Small World would be a pain. If you could push the boat outside or back to the beginning that would could work. But don't forget, you not only have to push the boat the wheelchair is in, you also have to push all of the boats around the circuit. If the boats are stopped, it would be almost impossible to push all of the boats. I bet that's why the boat was stuck where it was. All of the boats were stuck at the loading docks and backed up. So you wouldn't be able to push forward. Boats latter in the line would be even farther back inside the ride.

There are a number of emergency exit doors behind the sets in Small World, However, you have to climb 4-5 steps to reach the doors. There are places to unload inside SW, but then you have to go down 4-5 stair steps and then back up 4-5 steps to reach the outside door. There are one or two places that the guests use a step ladder to exit the boats and reach the floor.

I never thought about it, but it would be pretty hard to get a wheelchair bound person out of SM.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

And this is why we have so many lawsuits. Everybody thinks someone owes them "free" money for something. It leads people to be quick to be offended, quick to be in distress, etc. "It's your fault, you need to give me money!!!"
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Seeker of Fun

If this is really true...because it seems so outlandish, presently explains about all the ails in our country. What a joke.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    If this is really true...because it seems so outlandish, presently explains about all the ails in our country. What a joke.
    Hyperbole. The sun still came up over Anaheim this morning

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast