Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Handicapped guest trapped in ‘It’s a Small World’ wins lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    That's what bothers me. This time there wasn't anything urgent. What if there were? What if there were a fire, or smoke, or something else happening where they needed to get everyone out of that attraction ASAP? In that case they'd call the fire department, obviously, but how would they even get to the guest in the middle of the attraction with all of these challenges?

In terms of responsibility, if you're on a vehicle isn't it the operator's responsibility to convey you safely? If there's an emergency and they can't get you out, there's an issue.

Maybe having some sort of movable ramp backstage could help in an emergency. And sadly if there really isn't a way to swing it, maybe it means taking out the wheelchair boat and telling guests they can't ride unless they can transfer. It would bite if it came to that because iasw is one of the attractions every guest can enjoy, but I could see that happening.
    There is a process, but in those cases, the procedure is overkill for the situation that occurred. In this case there was no danger, and the boats just needed to be cycled to a safe point. We're talking 30 minutes... not a big deal. I've been stuck on Small World for that amount of time... (there was a problem loading a wheelchair, and they were only running one side, so we had to wait for them to cycle the other loading side while they worked on the issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    How deep is the water? Two feet? If the ride was on fire someone could get out and push the boat.

Small claims court has a limit of $10,000. He got $8,000 his lawyer got $2,000, although you don`t need a lawyer for small claims, you can do it yourself.
    You can't use a Lawyer in Small Claims in California... part of the deal.

Also, read the case, it was federal, not small claims...

Really... this was a win for Disney... they paid their lawyers about 10 times more (at least) to handle this.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    There is a process, but in those cases, the procedure is overkill for the situation that occurred. In this case there was no danger, and the boats just needed to be cycled to a safe point. We're talking 30 minutes... not a big deal. I've been stuck on Small World for that amount of time... (there was a problem loading a wheelchair, and they were only running one side, so we had to wait for them to cycle the other loading side while they worked on the issue).
    If there really is a procedure in place for dire emergencies, that makes me feel better about it.

• Disneyland Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    If you do research on this case, the guy that sued is someone that has looked for any and all reasons to sue and has a history of filing suits against Disney. At no time was he in "danger" physically and was in a sound state hence the decision not to elevate it to calling the fire department. He may have been inconvenienced...but the world does not owe him anything for that.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Well, he was going to win because of how poor the castmembers acted in this occasion
    Who is to say they did anything poor? They handle how they were supposed to. The had standards and followed them. That money settlement is so low for a reason. The reason I dislike the news sometimes is they dont give alot over good legit facts, they dramatize. My news said he was stuck for 3 hours with the music blaring and I know thats a lie. Thank you CBS....
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

Having read another article, seems the man had to urinate, and this created a situation that made his medical condition worse, and apparently took 3 hours to medically stabilize him, seems he did have some medical issues.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286 View Post
    Who is to say they did anything poor? ....
    The judge?

• Disneyland Nomad

the judge also only awarded 8000 dollars, is that enough to cover legal fees? Maybe small world should have a MOO Deck like the subs, too avoid such problems in the future.

From NBC:
    Disneyland Resort believes it provided all appropriate assistance to Mr. and Mrs. Martinez when the ride temporarily stopped and is disappointed that the court did not fully agree.”

They are standing behind there CMs
    Last edited by karebear286; 03-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286 View Post
    They are standing behind there CMs
    Of course they are. To do otherwise would open them up to even more liability.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

8 thousand....i mean that barley covers the lawyers fees he had to pay for...seems like he wasted his time

• Disgruntled Former CM

If I am paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair, and I am also prone to high blood pressure and panic attacks - all known conditions I live with on a daily basis before going to Disneyland for the day, and I am loaded into a boat, in water, for a trip through an enclosed space, I do not need a safety spiel, or sign, or placard, or employee to tell me that if something unexpected happens inside the attraction, I will have to wait for assistance before being lifted safely to a dry flat surface.

He was in no danger, and suffered no harm or injuries; his "insult" was that he had to listen to a repetitive song. Dozens of people were trapped on Knott's Windseeker attraction and faced serious danger while being rescued, after hours of hanging hundreds of feet in the air; do they all deserve $8,000 (or more?!) in compensation for their ordeal?

Soon to be placed in all of the Small World boats:
    ATTENTION PREGNANT GUESTS:
    PLEASE NOTE AS YOU EMBARK ON THIS HAPPIEST OF CRUISES, THERE IS NO BIRTHING CENTER, MIDWIFE, OR PHYSICIAN ONBOARD THIS CRAFT. SHOULD YOU GO INTO HARD LABOR, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.... HAVE A MAGICAL BABY!!
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 03-28-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

People no longer have to use common the can just sue instead

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think you are understanding what the law suit was about.
    I understand plenty of what this is about. It's about a man with a terrible disability who is miserable with his life, so he proceeds to take it out on the world by filing law suits for every little thing his lawyer tells him he can sue for. I believe I read that this particular person has filed multiple suits against Disney in the past. He is no hero for the handicapped. People like him is what drives admission prices and everything else higher. We are in a constant attack of new regulations and restrictions in this era. OSHA becomes more restrictive by the minute! How long before a disabled person sues Disney for Tarzan's Treehouse not being wheelchair accessible? When I said that people need to take more responsibility for themselves. I mean they should be more proactive and asks questions, make some calls and do some research before planning their visits. Not just sit there and cry and sue every time something unexpected and mildly unfortunate happens! If I was disabled I would start thinking of potential scenario's that would be detrimental to my welfare, and ask questions before boarding the ride or even visiting the park at all if I felt like it would not be safe for me. This person takes a pretty common scenario such as a ride failure and thinks first how to make $$$$$$$ out of it. You can have a panic attack stuck in traffic in a car wile needing to go to the bathroom just as you can on a ride at Disneyland. To avoid traffic, smart people who dislike traffic plan ahead, leave early or later or just decide not to go at all. Same should go for anybody who has special needs. Maybe this guy should just not go out in public at all if getting stuck on a ride for 30 minutes can set off panic attacks.

Coming soon, the "Breakdown fastpasses" that they hand out on a evac will now require them to sign with a statement that the acceptance of this will wave the right to sue that the ride broke down on them.

If I was Disney, that's what I'd do...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    I understand plenty of what this is about. It's about a man with a terrible disability who is miserable with his life, so he proceeds to take it out on the world by filing law suits for every little thing his lawyer tells him he can sue for. I believe I read that this particular person has filed multiple suits against Disney in the past. He is no hero for the handicapped. People like him is what drives admission prices and everything else higher. We are in a constant attack of new regulations and restrictions in this era. OSHA becomes more restrictive by the minute! How long before a disabled person sues Disney for Tarzan's Treehouse not being wheelchair accessible? When I said that people need to take more responsibility for themselves. I mean they should be more proactive and asks questions, make some calls and do some research before planning their visits. Not just sit there and cry and sue every time something unexpected and mildly unfortunate happens! If I was disabled I would start thinking of potential scenario's that would be detrimental to my welfare, and ask questions before boarding the ride or even visiting the park at all if I felt like it would not be safe for me. This person takes a pretty common scenario such as a ride failure and thinks first how to make $$$$$$$ out of it. You can have a panic attack stuck in traffic in a car wile needing to go to the bathroom just as you can on a ride at Disneyland. To avoid traffic, smart people who dislike traffic plan ahead, leave early or later or just decide not to go at all. Same should go for anybody who has special needs. Maybe this guy should just not go out in public at all if getting stuck on a ride for 30 minutes can set off panic attacks.
    100% agree! I am prone to panic attacks myself, and in fact have experienced a pretty bad one while riding the Skytrain here in Vancouver (basically a real monorail/commuter train type thing for those who don't know). Now if I happened to have that panic attack during a moment where the train got stuck on the tracks (a somewhat frequent occurrence, I can think of several occasions where I've been stuck for 5-10 minutes between stations, and I've heard of longer delays) would I have sued Translink (company that runs the trains) for not evacuating me off the Skytrain?

NO!

I put myself in that position - I knew the risks (I could have a panic attack, the train could get stuck, or both) and I have no reason to expect that everything in my life should go perfectly smoothly all the time. And when something DOES go wrong, I have no reason to try to lay that blame at someone else's feet and seek to gain financially for it.

I just don't get people... take some responsibility for yourself and have some pride. I would be embarrassed to react like that.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Minion

Seems to me that if the situation warrants evacuating some of the guests, then it warrants evacuating them all.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast