Grad Night Impact on Crowds

Hi there,

I have a trip planned for early May (May 10th), and it turns out that is going to be the first weekend of grad nights. The trip is set, so I'm trying to make the best of it!

I saw a few reports about last year, but I was wondering what the conventional wisdom is on what crowds/traffic patterns are going to look like this year with the party being only in DCA. My goal is to hit most of the resort highlights, and still have some time to relax and enjoy the little things.

My current plan is to get to DCA early, get on RSR and maybe a few other rides and then head over to Disneyland. I assume the kids won't make it at open so that should give me some latitude early. Then I figure we can relax in the afternoon as the kids arrive and try to squeeze some more in late-night Disneyland after the party starts.

Any other advice or things to watch out for? Is my plan reasonable or should I scale back my ambitions?

Any help is very much appreciated! And I'll be sure to report back how the DCA-only nights go.

• is poppin' tags

Re: Grad Night Impact on Crowds

Is this your first time to Disneyland?
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Thankfully not! But it has been a few years (pre DCA makeover) so I do want to spend a bit of time there.

• Under that tree again!

Hit Carland right away. because the teens will gravitate there. They really will show up slowly throughout the day, but quickly in late afternoon and evening. In May many will go to class and come after. Use FastPass, those grads will stick to the bigger attractions. Remember as the grads fill up DCA in the evening, regular guest will head to DL, and DL will be very busy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

It should be ok. They did this last year at DL. It just made the parks a little bit more buisy and when DL closed and everyone exited Main Street Grads were going the other way. It was no big deal. Is suspect they will put the same thing just make the barrier at BVS not MS.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll just be sure to bring my patience for the afternoon/evening!

Depends on how they're doing it... they used to "stage" at one park (usually DCA), then move them to Disneyland.

Biggest issue is the busses pulling up, and they rope off a good portion of the Esplanade to contain the teens.

But crowd wise, not a HUGE issue... usually they're at disneyland that closes early, and they keep DCA open extra hours...

Process seems to change a little each year.

On the bright side, if you get there at opening, it'll be light... usually the teens don't show til late in the day, and the "local" once usually can't get out there til near noon.

• Minion

The way they are doing gradnight this year, the teens could arrive at anytime potentially, as soon as their bus arrives, the kids get a park hopper...once Disneyland closes, they head over to DCA for the late night festivities.

• Sock Puppet

The kids can come to the parks as early as 4pm. Last year it was like that.So they don't just come at night, they may or may not be their all day, it just depends on when the bus arrive like it was said.

• Minion

They can come as early as when the park opens. There doesn't seem to be a restriction on the arrival time.

• The doctor is in

From what I understand Grad Nights are only in DCA this year, so like others have said I would try to get Cars Land out of the way as early as you can. Most of the crowds seem to be around there at any given time of the day, but with an event like this they are bound to be a bit more congested.
    My guess is Paradise Pier might be a bit more crowded than usual simply because teenagers love rollercoasters. The wait time for California Screamin' might be a bit longer than normal and that will add more foot traffic in that area.