View Poll Results: Star Wars Mountain?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Space Mountain as it is!

66 82.50%
  • Star Wars inside Space Mountain, no change in track.

3 3.75%
  • Star Wars for Space Mountain and People Mover!

1 1.25%
  • Star Wars Mountain, PeopleMover, and Restaurant!

7 8.75%
  • Other Space Mountain Overlay

3 3.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Space Mountain to 'Star Wars' Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Not necessarily - no - not at all. But part of a sub land in that corner of the park maybe.
    Yeah, I think Star Wars is enough for a sub-land, not necessarily a whole land, which could be done, but might be too much Star Wars for the ordinary guest? (Not for me). A well-themed Star Wars restaurant would do blockbuster business, especially if it looked like it was straight out of the film.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-29-2013 at 07:03 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Some fans may not want Space Mountain to change, but the queue has changed substantially over the years, and when you've got a $4 billion dollar franchise with a universe of characters and stories, not so much a need for a "Crazy Eddy" type selling used spaceships.
    This is a good point.

• Banned User

I think you're all being too hard on the guy, the pre-show at Space Mountain is lame.
    I kinda expected diehards to have strong opinions about any changes, but given that the Mouse now owns the galaxy far, far away . . . I think a Star Wars overlay to Space is a pretty strong possibility. Some small changes to Space could really make it a much more interesting ride,

They could replace the "blast off" lights with a hyperspace tunnel. I know, some folks complain that Star Tour has this on the screen, but have a hyperspace tunnel churn around the coaster would be freakin' *awesome*!

A lot of Space Mountain looks dated, including the coaster cars.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Sorry for the snark. I'm by no means a "traditionalist," but some things are fine the way they are. The Jungle Cruise doesn't need to become the Indiana Jones River Expedition. Big Thunder need not be The Lone Ranger's Mine Train Escape. And Space Mountain does not need to be Star Wars Mountain.

It's one of the most popular attractions in the park without having a Star Wars tie-in. It's a popular and beloved attraction. I see no point in changing it.

If it ain't broke...

I wouldn't want the Jungle Cruise changed as there is a "story" and humor, and one of the few rides where you get to be entertained by a castmember.

Big Thunder . . . never have been a super big fan, don't really hit it much when I visit, mostly because there isn't a story, but think that a Lone Ranger overlay wouldn't do much for this ride one way or another, and most guests wouldn't notice the change or care.

With Space, there isn't much of a story, just generic 'space' theming. If they expanded the coaster and added some Star Wars dark ride scenes, think of an animatronic Jabba the Hut!, then it would come closer to storytelling.

Not sure what the wait times for Space are now, but if they did the Star Wars overlay, and had dark ride scenes and extended the ride vehicle on the People Mover track, I could see it being more popular than RSR. Think 3 hour wait times everyday and a mad scramble for fast passes. It could definitely drive attendance at Disneyland much more than it does.

Given that there are millions more Star Wars fans than APers who wouldn't want a thing touched on the ride, gotta think that it's more likely than not that Space gets some sort of a Star Wars overlay at some point.

In the end, Space just tried to ride the Star Wars/Sci-Fi wave in the 1970s, it's doesn't really exist in its own universe, just is kinda inspired by (ripping off) other stuff.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-29-2013 at 07:20 PM.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

I think you're all being too hard on the guy, the pre-show at Space Mountain is lame.

Star Wars Land?

No offense, but you get an "F" in Imagineering.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Leave Space Mountain as it is. It has been one of the most popular rides in the park for decades with little need for a theme other than riding a rocket through outer space. Not everything needs to be tied in with a movie franchise. Sometimes things are just fine the way they are. I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself. That being said, I would push for a whole new attraction using the best of today's technology that would do the Star Wars franchise justice. Not just remodel a forty year old attraction that is already doing fine the way it is. That's like taking a classic car, then have a body shop strip it down and make it look like a Prius. Star Wars already has a presence in Tomorrowland with Star Tours, Jedi Academy and the Startrader, more Star Wars in TL would make it seem like a poorly themed Star Wars land. Who would want that? Perhaps in the future we can add more Star Wars in DCA or a third gate.

• Disney Addict

In the end, Space just tried to ride the Star Wars/Sci-Fi wave in the 1970s, it's doesn't really exist in its own universe, just is kinda inspired by (ripping off) other stuff.
    While you might argue Space Mountain draws from some sci-fi tropes, it's simply incorrect to call it a Star Wars poseur - the Disneyland version opened but two days after the first SW film, the MK version had been in existence since 1975, and plans for a Space Port attraction date back to the mid-60s.

And if it doesn't exist in its own universe, it's because it exists in ours - the attraction's basis, in line with others like Innerspace and Mission to Mars, is an imagined future experience grounded in science but with mild fantastical elements.

Not everything needs a concrete story or franchise tie-in. A Star Wars coaster isn't a bad idea in theory, but would be better as something entirely new than an unnecessary overlay of a successful and popular attraction.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    You know what, you've changed my mind. I'm on board with this. While we're at it, let's change Submarine Voyage into a ride on the Bongo with Jar Jar Binks as your guide, and I really don't think that many people like the Matterhorn compared to Star Wars, so let's move it back to Tomorrowland, and re-theme it Star Wars Mountain II! It could be themed like Hoth, and have a giant Imperial Walker at the entrance like Star Tours in WDW. It wouldn't be that much different, it'd just be a lot better!

Sorry for the snark. I'm by no means a "traditionalist," but some things are fine the way they are. The Jungle Cruise doesn't need to become the Indiana Jones River Expedition. Big Thunder need not be The Lone Ranger's Mine Train Escape. And Space Mountain does not need to be Star Wars Mountain.

It's one of the most popular attractions in the park without having a Star Wars tie-in. It's a popular and beloved attraction. I see no point in changing it.

If it ain't broke...
    Hypothetical question is hypothetical, no need for this kind of response IMO.

"Nooooooo!!"

To reply to something you said concerning a SW overlay at some point because there are millions of SW fans, I think that Space Mountain will never have a Star Wars overlay. Because Star Tours is right there next to it and its already a great ride as it is. Besides, Star Wars has such a big presence in the park already! Unless all of Tomorrowland becomes Star Wars land, which I hope will never happen, Space Mountain will remain Space Mountain.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    While you might argue Space Mountain draws from some sci-fi tropes, it's simply incorrect to call it a Star Wars poseur - the Disneyland version opened but two days after the first SW film, the MK version had been in existence since 1975, and plans for a Space Port attraction date back to the mid-60s.

And if it doesn't exist in its own universe, it's because it exists in ours - the attraction's basis, in line with others like Innerspace and Mission to Mars, is an imagined future experience grounded in science but with mild fantastical elements.

Not everything needs a concrete story or franchise tie-in. A Star Wars coaster isn't a bad idea in theory, but would be better as something entirely new than an unnecessary overlay of a successful and popular attraction.
    I guess I was thinking more along the lines of 2001 a Space Odyssey (1968), something I think of (the spaceship) which bares a striking resemblance to the spaceship in Space Mountain.

Name:  2001.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  8.5 KB

Very similar "centipede" segments to these spaceships.

Name:  space_mountain_interior.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  56.4 KB

I'd much rather see a full-size X-Wing replica hanging there for refueling!

I get your point that Space Mountain offers a realistically possible, if not probable, vision of humanity in space. At one point in time in the 1970s people thought that this actually was what the future of space exploration would look like.

Space Mountain is popular, but I think it could be so much more popular with most guests with a Star Wars overlay—which doesn't necessarily mean changing much of the insides of the classic part of the ride. I think that even the inside queue of Space could be updated, and made to look at lot more "alive" with animatronic Star Wars characters.

I think the whole "re-entry" effects tunnel never connected well with guests, and a hyper-space Star Wars tunnel is much more recognizable and has a higher "coolness" rating.

Outside of purists—I would wager that most fans of Space Mountain, who perhaps go the park once every couple years, would be fine with still having the roller coaster segment and a Star Wars queue, possibly with Star Wars dark ride scenes and even a short sprint down the large People Mover track. In the end, everything can be plussed, and Disneyland is always changing, certainly Space does look its age stylistically.

APers are a self-selecting group of Disneyland fans who enjoy repeat visits to Disneyland and seeing the same thing for the 200th time. I am also this way with certain attractions that "won't ever grow old", but for the vast majority of non-APers theme park goers, I think things need to be upgraded, plussed, and made relevant.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by j11 View Post
    "Nooooooo!!"

To reply to something you said concerning a SW overlay at some point because there are millions of SW fans, I think that Space Mountain will never have a Star Wars overlay. Because Star Tours is right there next to it and its already a great ride as it is. Besides, Star Wars has such a big presence in the park already! Unless all of Tomorrowland becomes Star Wars land, which I hope will never happen, Space Mountain will remain Space Mountain.
    Meh, Star Tours is just a simulator ride, albeit very well done. I think that what a lot of fans would love, (and I know I would love), would be to have a Star Wars ride that actually takes you somewhere, in addition to some lavish dark ride scenes with animatronics. Hey, they could even do a Jedi animatronic with a realistic looking light saber.

If not Space, then I say tear down Innoventions and put a "Star Wars Mountain" in there!

• Filmmaker

Outside of purists—I would wager that most fans of Space Mountain, who perhaps go the park once every couple years, would be fine with still having the roller coaster segment and a Star Wars queue, possibly with Star Wars dark ride scenes and even a short sprint down the large People Mover track.
    Well according to the poll you created more than five times as many people voted to say "leave it alone" and saying the Mice Chat community is made up entirely, or even mostly or purists is patently wrong (just take a look at the debates over Fantasy Faire and the Market House).

I'm sorry, but there's just not a single thing about this idea that is appealing. I like Star Wars, quite a bit, but I neither need it nor want it in Space Mountain. The experience of Space Mountain is about space travel, not about aliens and intergalactic battles; as I've said, if you want that just head right next door and Star Tours will have you covered. I know they're different types of attractions, but in the end you'd have two neighboring rides doing thematically the same thing: taking you for a space flight through the universe of Star Wars. It's redundant and unnecessary.

Maybe someday Disney will do a Star Wars themed coaster, and it could be a whole lot of fun, but Space Mountain is not the appropriate place for it.

• Hot FIRE!

Star Wars...YAY!

Space Mountain...YAY!

Star Wars Mountain...NO!

I can get behind a lot of things...this isn't one of them and isn't needed. Besides Stars Wars can become so much more than just an overlay if they insist on adding more.

...As I see it

• Banned User

I have to agree with others and I'm FAR from a purist. I have no issue of getting rid of something if it just had its time or updating it for a different audience but when you have a ride that is VERY popular even after 30 years and basically works in all age groups, I say leave it alone.

SM is great because it is just a roller coaster on one level, but still very Disney on another. I wouldnt MIND a SW overlay but I think its just a cool ride on its own. And the other problem is there is just not much you can do without tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. You cant really add much in its current state now other than more projections I guess. But basically it would look like a version of RNRC in its current state.

And yes, there is already Star Tours there, which now has a new life. I know its only a simulator but it works great, especially with the upgrade. But yes, they could knock down Innoventions and bring something there in time.

• former CM

Great minds think alike and are rejected by the status quo. I don't really believe that, but I did write this on a thread on Nov. 14:

". . . close Space Mountain for exactly one year
    and using backstage area behind it, create the Space Mtn. Range,
    with dual, enlarged coaster tracks (bigger hills and an equal # of turns in both directions)
    and make it Star Wars themed.
    Call it. . .
    Star Wars.

And then don't do this at WDW so the parks are different. (Or do it at WDW where there is more room and then don't do it at Disneyland.)"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast