View Poll Results: Star Wars Mountain?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Space Mountain as it is!

66 82.50%
  • Star Wars inside Space Mountain, no change in track.

3 3.75%
  • Star Wars for Space Mountain and People Mover!

1 1.25%
  • Star Wars Mountain, PeopleMover, and Restaurant!

7 8.75%
  • Other Space Mountain Overlay

3 3.75%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Re: Space Mountain to 'Star Wars' Mountain?

Space Mountain has been open for 36 years and it's still one of the most popular attractions in the entire resort. I think the only rides that routinely match it for wait times are RSR, Indy, and TSMM. Space is the only one of those rides not based on a film and the only one without recognizable characters. And yet, it routinely has 60/90/120 minute waits, even at the end of the night.

It's just that good.

This isn't about nostalgia and it's not about aversion to film/character theming. It's about recognizing that the ride is excellent as it is, it is clearly NOT struggling to draw guests, it stands up to the test of time and the public's tastes, and it should be left as is. If they want to renovate or add an overlay I'd expect and hope that it would be original to Space Mountain, the way Ghost Galaxy is, instead of being themed to a disparate film franchise.

If they want to add another SW attraction or coaster, they can build it. They don't need to shoehorn it into an existing, thriving attraction.
    Last edited by Malina; 03-31-2013 at 01:40 AM.

• Minion

I'm for keeping Space Mountain as is, especially inside.
    But I'm for reworking the exterior. There are mountains on other planets and moons, so I think making the exterior a mountain would be nice. Also, I think a major reroute of the track could be accomplished in order to have the coaster cars make an outside appearance. It was an original idea but never built. Which would mean some knocking down some buildings around the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Space Mountain has been open for 36 years and it's still one of the most popular attractions in the entire resort. I think the only rides that routinely match it for wait times are RSR, Indy, and TSMM. Space is the only one of those rides not based on a film and the only one without recognizable characters. And yet, it routinely has 60/90/120 minute waits, even at the end of the night.

It's just that good.

This isn't about nostalgia and it's not about aversion to film/character theming. It's about recognizing that the ride is excellent as it is, it is clearly NOT struggling to draw guests, it stands up to the test of time and the public's tastes, and it should be left as is. If they want to renovate or add an overlay I'd expect and hope that it would be original to Space Mountain, the way Ghost Galaxy is, instead of being themed to a disparate film franchise.

If they want to add another SW attraction or coaster, they can build it. They don't need to shoehorn it into an existing, thriving attraction.
    And there it is. Space Mountain is one of the last bastions of actual Imagineering. I'm sick of the park and it's new developments being bastardized by lazy incorporation of movie themed junk.

Now, to them a ride after a movie is not a new concept. All of Fantasyland is movie themed. But, the best side of the park is the left side of the park. You know, the one that was developed purely on imagination and true Imagineering. A return to that type of mindset as the park moves forward would be refreshing. Save the Star Wars and Iron Man crap for the 3rd gate.

What really amazes me is the nostalgia for the PeopleMover! As much as I adore Star Wars and all related to it, I've not yet fully digested the implications of adding more of it to the Disney pantheon of fantasy experiences, though I am already feeling for the poor soul in the Chewbacca suit...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Workin to live,lovin life

I'm a huge fan of Carsland, and I think RSR is miles better than Test Track. But I don't think attractions are always better with a franchise attached to it.

I love Star Wars as well, but I would prefer something separate and not just an overlay of an existing attraction. Maybe something like a replica of Endor or Hoth. Not everyone is a fan of Star Wars and some people actually despise it. It's not like Swiss Family Robinson vs. Tarzan. It's definitely more like Subs becoming Nemo, except the Subs lost their popularity except with the small group of fans. Space Mtn is extremely popular despite being "just a crazy mouse-style" coaster.

• Banned User

The poll is wayyy too fractured. Two of the options are basically the same except for the restaurant

The idea of two attractions based on the same movie seems so redundant. It really does start becoming Star Wars Land, which (much as I love Star Wars) is really limiting the vision what the Tomorrow Land experience could be, and not at all consistent with how the worlds within Disneyland are themed. Just because Star Tours is one particular kind of ride (a simulator) doesn't mean we also need a Star Wars roller coaster, and a Star Wars dark ride. There's SO much more to imagine! "Tomorrow" is a fantasticallly interesting and diverse palette to paint with! Why use just the Star Wars colors?

That said, do the arcade, the outside queue, the long-abandoned People Move tracks, and much of Tomorrow Land need some love, better theming, a jolt of imagination? For sure. Is Star Wars the only solution? Not by a long shot.

I LOVE Star Wars and I LOVE Space Mountain... and while the idea of a Star Wars themed roller coaster has appeal (OK, a LOT of appeal), I don't want anything to mess up my Space Mountain. Too many fond memories of the ride. Now if they wanna rip out Innoventions and do something with the PeopleMover track (because they clearly aren't gonna bring back the PeopleMover) then that would be OK with me.

Don't mess with a classic.

Oh and BTW, a Cantina-themed restaurant would be TONS of fun.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

It's just that good.

This!!! Excellently written.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    NO.

I LOVE Star Wars, but NO.

Leave SM alone. It does not need a SW overlay, nor does Tomorrowland need to be turned into a SW land. I would much rather see original rides!
    amen. i love that SM isn't themed around a movie! very few rides left that are totally original/no movie tie-ins.

I love the Star Wars franchise, but if a re-theme of SM were to happen, I think I would much rather see it travel in another direction. To much of a good thing is not always good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123