View Poll Results: Star Wars Mountain?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Space Mountain as it is!

66 82.50%
  • Star Wars inside Space Mountain, no change in track.

3 3.75%
  • Star Wars for Space Mountain and People Mover!

1 1.25%
  • Star Wars Mountain, PeopleMover, and Restaurant!

7 8.75%
  • Other Space Mountain Overlay

3 3.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Space Mountain to 'Star Wars' Mountain?

Space mountain is a classic and beloved Disneyland attraction, with good theming on the interior, that has entertained Disneyland guests for decades. However, due to a lack of an in-house popular science fi/sci-fantasy movie franchise, Space Mountain has utilized a generic outer space theme, perhaps riding the Star Wars wave to some, and being boldly independent and creative to others.

Now Disney owns Star Wars.

What if Space Mountain, and the section of the People Mover track heading down Tomorrowland's main thorough-faire, was retooled into a 'Star Wars' mountain experience in which guests would still soar through outer space with projected stars (and with perhaps a Star Wars space battle added on), in addition to some Star Wars dark ride scenes and a moderately paced tour of Tomorrowland via using a "loop" of People Mover track behind Star Tours/Arcade, and around the old People Mover loading station which would receive its own special Star Wars theme. (This would involve major construction and likely demolition of the 3-D theater).

Re: Space Mountain to 'Star Wars' Mountain?

NO.

I LOVE Star Wars, but NO.

Leave SM alone. It does not need a SW overlay, nor does Tomorrowland need to be turned into a SW land. I would much rather see original rides!

• Filmmaker

No. Space Mountain is perfectly effective as is (not to mention one of the most popular attractions in the park. As for an attraction about flying through space, seeing iconic locations from the Star Wars film and perhaps getting caught in space battles, we already have that. It's called Star Tours.

The idea of space travel is plenty appealing in-and-of-itself. Not every attraction in Tomorrowland needs to be Star Wars. Originality is still valuable.

• DMTNT

Space Mountain does not need any changes. The once a year Ghost Galaxy is great, but it I prefer the normal Space Mountain overlay.

We already have Star Tours. We don't need another Star Wars ride.

I would much rather see a complete overhall to Tomorrowland with new, original ideas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    No. Space Mountain is perfectly effective as is (not to mention one of the most popular attractions in the park. As for an attraction about flying through space, seeing iconic locations from the Star Wars film and perhaps getting caught in space battles, we already have that. It's called Star Tours.

The idea of space travel is plenty appealing in-and-of-itself. Not every attraction in Tomorrowland needs to be Star Wars. Originality is still valuable.
    There are some major differences between a Star Wars Mountain and Star Tours. Star Tours is just a motion simulator ride, no dark ride scenes save for C3PO in the cockpit. A Star Wars Mountain would consistent of the much loved roller coaster, maybe with some Star Wars ships/planets in the background, but the thrill part of the ride would be the same, what would be added on would potentially be new track for the coasters to fly above Tomorrowland via the People Mover track and if they took out the 3-D theater, then some dark ride scenes could be added.

The story of a Star Wars mountain could also be much different from Star Tours. Instead of a commercial tour, it could potentially revolve around Boba Fett and Star Wars bounty hunters, perhaps with an animatronic Jabba in a dark scene, thus making the story different.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfn View Post
    Space Mountain does not need any changes. The once a year Ghost Galaxy is great, but it I prefer the normal Space Mountain overlay.
    Some fans may not want Space Mountain to change, but the queue has changed substantially over the years, and when you've got a $4 billion dollar franchise with a universe of characters and stories, not so much a need for a "Crazy Eddy" type selling used spaceships.

Again, not saying that much (if anything) be changed on the ride itself, which is pretty much a roller coaster in the dark with projected stars, but the queue would change and new dark ride scenes would be added, plus a view of Tomorrowland via the old PeopleMover track! I can't help but think that more is better versus just not wanting stuff to change.

I think a Star Wars mountain would be a big draw over what is currently there, when you look at bringing guests into the parks to experience something new and exciting. There are a whole lot more Star Wars fans than classic Space Mountain fans . . .

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Space mountain is a classic and beloved Disneyland attraction, with good theming on the interior, that has entertained Disneyland guests for decades.
    You said it yourself...

• Filmmaker

You know what, you've changed my mind. I'm on board with this. While we're at it, let's change Submarine Voyage into a ride on the Bongo with Jar Jar Binks as your guide, and I really don't think that many people like the Matterhorn compared to Star Wars, so let's move it back to Tomorrowland, and re-theme it Star Wars Mountain II! It could be themed like Hoth, and have a giant Imperial Walker at the entrance like Star Tours in WDW. It wouldn't be that much different, it'd just be a lot better!

Sorry for the snark. I'm by no means a "traditionalist," but some things are fine the way they are. The Jungle Cruise doesn't need to become the Indiana Jones River Expedition. Big Thunder need not be The Lone Ranger's Mine Train Escape. And Space Mountain does not need to be Star Wars Mountain.

It's one of the most popular attractions in the park without having a Star Wars tie-in. It's a popular and beloved attraction. I see no point in changing it.

If it ain't broke...

They could turn the outside into the death star for all I care, but leave the inside alone. The Halloween overlay is fun but only because it's temporary, and the hand projection ruins the whole riding in the dark aspect.

I think for some reason I'm one of the only people who actually despise the Ghost Galaxy overlay...with that being said I love Space Mountain and would be pretty depressed if they changed it that drastically. It's great as it is.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

I like to think of myself as a traditionalist. I pretty much abhor Nemo, but I would hate to see it go because I love the presence of the subs there. Same for Autopia. But I think I could get behind a Star Wars overlay for Space Mountain. There really is no story there behind the ride, and I think it would add to the experience a great deal. And the outdoor queue is a disaster. Actually, it's not even that really. It's just nothing.

Imagine a remodel of Space Mountain along with a Tatooine cantina next door instead of the Starcade. I'm literally OMG'ing myself as I type this. And Luke, Han, and Leia doing photo ops where the giant circular rock is. I would go bat s#&t crazy if I saw Leia with her cinnamon bun hair-do walking around. CRAZY!

Give your mind a chance to absorb the possibilities, and soon too you will see the power of Star Wars in Tomorrowland.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think you're all being too hard on the guy, the pre-show at Space Mountain is lame.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think you're all being too hard on the guy, the pre-show at Space Mountain is lame.
    Star Wars Land?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Not necessarily - no - not at all. But part of a sub land in that corner of the park maybe.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I like to think of myself as a traditionalist. I pretty much abhor Nemo, but I would hate to see it go because I love the presence of the subs there. Same for Autopia. But I think I could get behind a Star Wars overlay for Space Mountain. There really is no story there behind the ride, and I think it would add to the experience a great deal. And the outdoor queue is a disaster. Actually, it's not even that really. It's just nothing.

Imagine a remodel of Space Mountain along with a Tatooine cantina next door instead of the Starcade. I'm literally OMG'ing myself as I type this. And Luke, Han, and Leia doing photo ops where the giant circular rock is. I would go bat s#&t crazy if I saw Leia with her cinnamon bun hair-do walking around. CRAZY!

Give your mind a chance to absorb the possibilities, and soon too you will see the power of Star Wars in Tomorrowland.
    That would be awesome to see a Leia character and other Star Wars characters in conjunction with a Star Wars ride.

I love Space Mountain, at least the inside queue and ride (the outside is a disaster), but this love is one of familiarity of the ride, and I'd have to think that first time visitors to the park just chalk up the inside queue as a generic 2010 meets Buck Rogers type of queue.

I like the theming, even though it is generic—but think that it could be so much more with a Star Wars overlay. I have to say that I love the Star Tours queue more than Space Mountain, mostly because you feel that you're inside of universe larger than the queue, and one that you love and recognize. I think the big pay-off for a Star Wars Mountain would be a brand new queue, and like you said, perhaps a Star Wars restaurant. It could be a Star Wars mini-land, you'd have Star Tours, and then a different story for Star Wars mountain, and a restaurant. People say that a love of futurism is lost, but there is still love of Sci-Fi and Science-Fantasy . . . I'm sure there'll be folks waiting in lawn chairs for a week to see Episode 7. Think about rabid fans waiting outside to see a Star Wars . . . now a Disney property! It kinda blows the mind. Loved Tron Legacy, but Disney never had a cool Sci-Fi franchise.

They were thinking of a Disney Sci-Fi movie based off of Space Mountain, but this could go anywhere, and I don't think it'll be as good as Episodes 7,8, and 9 and the spin-offs, and doubt it will even be made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast