Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney renaming Easter, Spring Fling

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    "Easter[nb 1][nb 2] (also called the Pasch[1][2] or Pascha[nb 3][3]) is a Christian festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion at Calvary as described in the New Testament.[4]["
    What's interesting is that the Hebrew word for Passover is Pesach. Sounds kinda close to that, eh?

I've been a Passover Seder many years ago, but wonder if this tradition is still going strong among Jews
    Of course. Regardless of the historical fact or fiction behind it, it's a symbol of Jewish freedom from oppression and a huge cultural holiday, and a lot of families use it as a time to get together even without religious aspects. Much in the same way we haven't changed or stopped celebrating Christmas even though it's now theorized that Jesus was actually born in the spring or in October, and not on December 25 - it's what the holiday represents.

Even most unobservant families will at least do a Seder on the first night of Passover, or attend someone else's Seder, even if they don't bother with the unleavened bread/cleaning the house/Kosher for Passover soda/etc.
    Last edited by Malina; 03-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    As a Christian, it doesn't bother me when I see 'traditionally' Christian holidays 'secularized' by Disney or my local shopping mall. It does not lessen one whit the holiness (for lack of a better word) of the day or what it means to me, personally, as a reaffirmation of my faith.

Most of the 'traditions' of the holidays, as someone previously pointed out, are based in ancient traditions & folklore. Frankly, I think I would find a 'Disney' crucifix or 'Disney' manger on Main St more offensive to me as a Christian than their putting up a generic 'holiday tree' or an 'egg hunt' because, to me, it would trivialize events that are basic tenets to my religious beliefs.

Disney is not being 'PC', per se, they are being 'neutrally-inclusive' of what have become major holidays, whether we celebrate them as a person of faith or not. Religion, no matter what religion, does not belong in an amusement park. It belongs in our places of worship, our hearts, and the way we live our lives.

Guess I should add 'IMHO'.
    Beautifully said.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if Chinese New Year in America becomes Special New Year.
    They call it Lunar New Year in many places in recognition of the fact that it's not just celebrated by the Chinese - it's also celebrated in Korea, Japan, Vietnam and many other places in Asia.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It's all about the marketing.

Listen to the carols on Main Street during Christmas -- "Praise to the Lord, the almighty, the King of creation."

Granted this is in instrumental form only, but it doesn't get more religious than that.

• Chief Troublemaker

I think people need to remember that Disneyland is not a religious institution, it is an amusement park. It is not Disney's responsibility to uphold Christian or even American values. It should uphold DISNEY values, which are family, equality (as in treating all guests equally), love (of all humankind) and imagination.

Yes, before it is pointed out to me, I know that Walt Disney considered himself to be a Christian, but he certainly didn't design Disneyland as a place to showcase Christianity. If so, it would have been named Bibleland or something.

Yes, we live in a secularizing America. But that does not lessen faith nor does it devalue Christianity (or any other religion). Depending on one's point of view, it may even increase the value since it treats religious faith as something personal and therefore not to be bandied about or treated lightly.

People are not going to stop believing just because there is no manger scene at the local mall. The lack of obvious religious symbols does not disrespect religion.

I'll add IMHO again!
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-30-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Even though, there would absolutely be NO festivities, as we know them, around that time of year if not for the Christian celebration.
    likewise,in this country, can be said the same for Easter festivities.
    *Pokes with a stick, frowns, shakes her head and walks away* Nevermind. Not going to argue more religious history.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

A reminder from our FAQ's:

MiceChat is an entertainment centered board. While most subjects may be discussed in our various community lounges, we discourage the discussion or posting of images with a political and/or religious theme. Threads/posts/images which are focused on these topics or become in other ways heated will be moved to the "Litter Box" or MiceChat Gold's "Debate Lounge" (and are also subject to being closed).

For this reason, for the time being at least this thread is being closed.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12