Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Disney renaming Easter, Spring Fling

Is anyone else annoyed that Disney has renamed Easter, Spring Fling?! Seriously people, enough with the pc language. I'm agnostic and Easter is one of my favorite holidays, it's shame that we can't say the actual name of the holiday anymore. You don't need to be religious to celebrate it. Disney needs to get some balls and call the holidays what they actually are.

• Selfie Expert

Re: Disney renaming Easter, Spring Fling

They say "Easter Bunny" and "Easter Egg Hunt". I think they're calling it Spring Fling because it's occurring over the whole week, as the only day that's actually Easter is Sunday.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Everything that I read said "Egg hunt", there was no mention of Easter Eggs at all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Is anyone else annoyed that Disney has renamed Easter, Spring Fling?! Seriously people, enough with the pc language. I'm agnostic and Easter is one of my favorite holidays, it's shame that we can't say the actual name of the holiday anymore. You don't need to be religious to celebrate it. Disney needs to get some balls and call the holidays what they actually are.
    Tokyo Disneyland celebrates Christmas, and Christmas lights are put up around Japan though only 1% of the population is Christian. I guess this is what is called celebrating a secular Christmas.

Very non-religious secular folks take their kids on Easter Egg hunts (or maybe they just call them egg hunts), so I can see the resort using a more secular term for this holiday.

However, Easter, after all, refers to the Christian holiday, (we just had Good Friday), and is of course intimately associated with events in the New Testament. So, it is kinda . . . uncomfortable to see something saying that Disneyland is celebrating "Easter", when it is really just the secular egg hunt. As a Christian, I'm kinda embarrassed when a Christian holiday takes over a secular enterprise as it kinda makes the point that in this country Christianity is the dominant religion, so I'm more than happy with just calling it Spring Fling.

I believe that Jewish folks are just finishing up Passover, or Pesach, this weekend. I'm guessing they wouldn't like a Passover celebration celebrated on Main Street with un-leaven bread sold from the popcorn stands and big banners announcing Passover.

• Banned User

Everything that I read said "Egg hunt", there was no mention of Easter Eggs at all.
    Its interesting how Disney secularizes holidays. Halloween I believe started off as a Catholic holiday, and is of course secularized now and has a different meaning, and is pushed by Disney in a number of parks around the globe.

Disney is kinda like HallMark in that they'd like to invent holidays just to sell more stuff.

In 50,000 years we'll all be celebrating Festivus and nobody will remember when the tradition started.

•   
    • Minion

Disney is not secularizing anything. Eggs, rabbits, etc. have always been secular. The name "Easter" comes from the pagan festival Eoestre, which also had eggs and rabbits. Passover (Jewish holiday of vast importance) is happening right now. Holi (Hindu holiday that is a spring festival with lots of color and celebration) just passed, as well. Most religions and cultures have some sort of spring festival or holiday.

All the fun things about Easter are pagan. Bunnies are a leftover from the pagan festival of Eostre, a great northern goddess whose symbol was a rabbit or hare. Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead.

The pagan roots of Easter | Heather McDougall | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Disney's not getting into the religious aspects of ANY of those spring festivals and holidays - we're not seeing the resort go Kosher for Passover, we're not seeing the stations of the Cross in Main Street. They're celebrating very secular traditions that have carried into the culture and are not part of the religious aspect of the Easter story.

Calling this time of year "spring fling" is a lot more accurate and inclusive, IMHO. It's not PC (and I hate that term) - it's acknowledging that there are spring festivals in a bunch of world religions, countries and cultures that happen at this time of year.
    Last edited by Malina; 03-30-2013 at 01:11 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Disney is not secularizing anything. Eggs, rabbits, etc. have always been secular. The name "Easter" comes from the pagan festival Eoestre, which also had eggs and rabbits. Passover (Jewish holiday of vast importance) is happening right now. Holi (Hindu holiday that is a spring festival with lots of color and celebration) just passed, as well. Most religions and cultures have some sort of spring festival or holiday.

All the fun things about Easter are pagan. Bunnies are a leftover from the pagan festival of Eostre, a great northern goddess whose symbol was a rabbit or hare. Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead.

The pagan roots of Easter | Heather McDougall | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Disney's not getting into the religious aspects of ANY of those spring festivals and holidays - we're not seeing the resort go Kosher for Passover, we're not seeing the stations of the Cross in Main Street. They're celebrating very secular traditions that have carried into the culture and are not part of the religious aspect of the Easter story.

Calling this time of year "spring fling" is a lot more accurate and inclusive, IMHO. It's not PC (and I hate that term) - it's acknowledging that there are spring festivals in a bunch of world religions, countries and cultures that happen at this time of year.
    That's all true, there's a lot of festivals this time of year, though the term "Easter" now has primarily a Christian meaning, though it is used in a secular fashion. From wiki,

"Easter[nb 1][nb 2] (also called the Pasch[1][2] or Pascha[nb 3][3]) is a Christian festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion at Calvary as described in the New Testament.[4]["

So I can see why "Easter" was dropped from Egg Hunt and the whole festival is called Spring Fling.

I've been a Passover Seder many years ago, but wonder if this tradition is still going strong among Jews as most archaeologists agree that the exile of the Jews in Egypt never happened (at least not on a historical scale, there might have been a very small population, there is no evidence of a mass migration of Jews and events related to the Exodus aren't mentioned anywhere in Egyptian history). The biblical Hebrews actually came from the Canaanites. Kinda surprising when I read this, figured that Exodus was real in terms of a mass migration, though would have been very hard to survive in the desert, especially for 40 years!

I'm sure Jews know of this, but perhaps there is a symbolic interpretation of the Exodus? From Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Historicity:

The consensus among biblical scholars today is that there was never any exodus of the proportions described in the Bible,[14] and that the story is best seen as theology, a story illustrating how the God of Israel acted to save and strengthen his chosen people, and not as history.

The theory (from Israeli archeaologists) is that a small group of Jews may have migrated up through Jordan from Egypt and adopted this "pep rally" sort of story about being saved by their deity from slavery, but that they most likely were not slaves. Folks in Jordan were worshiping a deity with a name close to Yayweh and the Hebrews adopted this name/practice.

I think it causes some problems in the Middle East to this day, (the idea that Jews were slaves under Egyptians), kinda of sad considering that it apparently didn't happen.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-30-2013 at 02:22 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think it is more allowing the general public to partake in the fun aspects of Easter. Yes, I'm sure that egg hunts were practiced by pagans centuries ago, but didn't Easter popularize the easter egg hunt and then the practice of hunting eggs became secular in the U.S.? I guess I'm asking if there are modern day pagans who also do 'egg hunts' going back centuries? Probably just semantics, but it would be interesting if it started out as a Pagan holiday, was adopted by early Christians, then was re-adopted by Pagans celebrating the vernal equinox. From wiki:

The egg was a symbol of the rebirth of the
    earth in Pagan celebrations of spring and was adopted by early Christians as a symbol of the rebirth of man at Easter. The egg symbol was likened to the tomb from which Christ arose.[3] Traditionally the game is associated with Easter and Easter eggs (Easter egg hunt), but it has also been popular with spring time birthday parties.[1]
    At least since the 17th century the idea of the
    Easter Bunny to bring the easter eggs has been known.
    Egg hunts are a subject of the
    Guinness Book of World Records. For example, Homer, Georgia, United States was listed in 1985 with 80,000 eggs to hunt in a town of 950 people.

I wonder if springtime "egg hunts" were once a matter of survival. Birds start laying eggs in Spring and kids help forage for food by trying to find them. Then when food became more plentiful the whole exercise became symbolic.

Fascinating.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-30-2013 at 01:51 AM.

• Selfie Expert

Spring Fling at Disneyland Resort | Limited Time Magic | Disney Parks and Resorts

Please note the multiple use of "Easter" on the official Disneyland website.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

As a Christian, it doesn't bother me when I see 'traditionally' Christian holidays 'secularized' by Disney or my local shopping mall. It does not lessen one whit the holiness (for lack of a better word) of the day or what it means to me, personally, as a reaffirmation of my faith.

Most of the 'traditions' of the holidays, as someone previously pointed out, are based in ancient traditions & folklore. Frankly, I think I would find a 'Disney' crucifix or 'Disney' manger on Main St more offensive to me as a Christian than their putting up a generic 'holiday tree' or an 'egg hunt' because, to me, it would trivialize events that are basic tenets to my religious beliefs.

Disney is not being 'PC', per se, they are being 'neutrally-inclusive' of what have become major holidays, whether we celebrate them as a person of faith or not. Religion, no matter what religion, does not belong in an amusement park. It belongs in our places of worship, our hearts, and the way we live our lives.

Guess I should add 'IMHO'.
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-30-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    As a Christian, it doesn't bother me when I see 'traditionally' Christian holidays 'secularized' by Disney or my local shopping mall. It does not lessen one whit the holiness (for lack of a better word) of the day or what it means to me, personally, as a reaffirmation of my faith.

Most of the 'traditions' of the holidays, as someone previously pointed out, are based in ancient traditions & folklore. Frankly, I think I would find a 'Disney' crucifix or 'Disney' manger on Main St more offensive to me as a Christian than their putting up a generic 'holiday tree' or an 'egg hunt' because, to me, it would trivialize events that are basic tenets to my religious beliefs.

Disney is not being 'PC', per se, they are being 'neutrally-inclusive' of what have become major holidays, whether we celebrate them as a person of faith or not. Religion, no matter what religion, does not belong in an amusement park. It belongs in our places of worship, our hearts, and the way we live our lives.

Guess I should add 'IMHO'.
    ^^ THIS is wonderfully said. The spring fling thing never even crossed my mind. It is Spring Fling, but is celebrating general easter traditions. No biggie.

• is poppin' tags

For the record, I'm not annoyed at all.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

I was told it had to do with giving the festivities a bigger marketing tie-in to spring break, and to "Spring," generally, which has very strong positive market connotations.

It's all about the $$$$, people.

• Banned User

So, by some of your reasoning on these boards, we need to also change the celebration in the parks away from any mention of Christmas because that is the Christian term as well.
    Even though, there would absolutely be NO festivities, as we know them, around that time of year if not for the Christian celebration.
    likewise,in this country, can be said the same for Easter festivities.
    it IS PC crap and disney is becoming the most PC blatant offender arround.
    I loves me some Disney, but they can be soooo superficial and annoying about this kind of stuff.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Everything about the Spring Fling event is an obvious rip-off of Easter traditions....the bunny, the egg hunt....everything. PC renamings of American traditions does not make other cultures think that we are being more inclusive....just increasingly more trite and stupid as we continue to dilute our culture down to nothing.

Wouldn't be surprised if Chinese New Year in America becomes Special New Year.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast