is disneyland better with keeping furutre plans secret than they were in the past?

I asked this in another thread but decided to start a new one. This is for anyone to answer or guess about. Just curious if you think the Disney company is getting better at keeping secrets these days. I feel like there are some rumors out there for what is happening at Disneyland but for the most part the fans don't really know what is going on or planned. Is this because Disney is better at keeping secrets or is there just nothing solid or certain enough to have gotten out yet?

• Banned User

Re: is disneyland better with keeping furutre plans secret than they were in the past

Probably a little of both! There is probably nothing officially greenlit for one and two they are probably cutting down on leaks as much as possible. But remember you are on a site whose very job is to leak Disney info as much as possible and has done a great job at it in the past.

So they will never cut down on things completely, especially with the internet. And I think releasing their own blog was a good idea too. Not only is it a place to announce what they are doing in all the parks, it gives them a way to get ahead of sites like this by showcasing upcoming projects.

But I am pretty impressed how much they keep a lid on things these days. Look at Shanghai Disneyland, there are still very little rumors of what has come out except what they have officially released.

• Under that tree again!

Re: is disneyland better with keeping furutre plans secret than they were in the past

Not shouting at the top of your lungs so people hear what you are thinking, is not keeping a secret. It's just keeping your thoughts to yourself.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Rasulo was horrible at stopping leaks, but Staggs has really cracked down. So much so that more than a few Imagineers and Parks and Resorts employees have been let go since he become Chairman due to the fact that they were leaking things online.

There's a reason Staggs cut back to heavily on his last D23 keynote. There were leaks a few weeks before the Expo and more than a few people were fired soon after.

I kind of think it is cool how they have cracked down on leaks. But it sure seems to have made these boards calm down. I feel like we haven't had an update from al in forever and honor hunter at blueskydisney hasn't had an update in almost 2 months as well.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

I'm hoping for announcements at the D23 Expo in August. I'm crossing my fingers for something major and not a few small announcements

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Banned User

I think the only major things we are going to see will be for other resorts.
    Avatar for Animal Kingdom, which has already started prep work, the DtD expansion and retheme for WDW and possibly a major plan for Disney Hollywood Studios.

There really is nothing of any consequence out there for DLR in the way of serious buzz talk or legit rumors. As good as Disney has become at not leaking, we ALWAYS know when something major is coming well before construction or announcements via strong rumors from multiple sources and solid leaks.
    None of these signs point to anything of any significance for DLR for quite a very long time.

• Senior Minion

In a sense, the question is moot: even if we don't know what Disney's future plans for the DLR are, we know what they are not.

They are not going to be original or truly innovative. They are only going to be one form or another of derivative spinoff from a pre-existing brand.

Based on Disney's past performance at the DLR, the chance that they are going to announce anything really surprising in the foreseeable future is virtually zero.

So far as excitement goes, "What Disney is going to announce next" ranks right up there with waiting to see what's the next model car from Ford.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In a sense, the question is moot: even if we don't know what Disney's future plans for the DLR are, we know what they are not.

They are not going to be original or truly innovative. They are only going to be one form or another of derivative spinoff from a pre-existing brand.

Based on Disney's past performance at the DLR, the chance that they are going to announce anything really surprising in the foreseeable future is virtually zero.

So far as excitement goes, "What Disney is going to announce next" ranks right up there with waiting to see what's the next model car from Ford.
    Well, that's one way to look at things I guess....
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Well, that's one way to look at things I guess....
    It's a point of view that comes from having been a Disneyland fan at a time when Disney regularly created theme park attractions that were so innovative and original they blew people away. Stuff that nobody had ever seen before. Stuff so far above the baseline of what Disney itself had done previously that it made news in the international press.

Today, the idea that what we have to look forward to is one derivation or another of Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar, Pixar, Princesses or whatever other brand-of-the-month Disney is selling, is about as exciting to me as waiting for the next announcement from Bank of America on new ways to use my Visa card.

And just about as predictable.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I think the only major things we are going to see will be for other resorts.
    Avatar for Animal Kingdom, which has already started prep work, the DtD expansion and retheme for WDW and possibly a major plan for Disney Hollywood Studios.

There really is nothing of any consequence out there for DLR in the way of serious buzz talk or legit rumors. As good as Disney has become at not leaking, we ALWAYS know when something major is coming well before construction or announcements via strong rumors from multiple sources and solid leaks.
    None of these signs point to anything of any significance for DLR for quite a very long time.
    None of these things point to any significance for this year's D23 Expo. Avatar is totally under wraps, even from the rest of Imagineering. Shanghai is in production so there won't be anything to actually show. There is a possibility of the Downtown Disney expansion being showcased, but what kind of a real draw would that be?

Apparently nothing from the Lucas or Marvel is being developed to the point of having anything for D23 (though they might be able to cobble SOMETHING together quickly in the next few months)

Outside of Parks & Resorts, D23 Expo may provide something with Marvel and Lucas properties. The panels and presentations might also be entertaining. But overall, this year looks to be light on entertainment value.

I am just trying to stay optimistic and I hope they have some great news to share for the Disneyland resort when it is time for the next D23 expo.

•   
    • Banned User

Largely in part because of the internet, it's just plain harder to keep any secret today. It was easier in previous decades pre-internet.

As much as many of us enjoy catching an inside word about future plans here and there, I would rather NOT know those plans ( or rumors thereof ) if it means someone loses their job. If there's anyone reading this that has inside info but it risking their job to tell us, please stop. Any perceived value of being cool on the internet is never worth the loss of your job.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I would definitely prefer to be surprised by new attractions and shows. It seems like everything and everyone has to be put on the internet where nothing is a surprise.

I do like to be notified of events at Disney Parks as well as info about existing attractions though. It's just the new stuff, I'd like to have some sort of "WHOA" moment.

Can you imagine if the Boulder Scene in Indy was spoiled from the get go? Or the exact sequence of Tower of Terror? Be surprised. Do something that scares you.