Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Solo Trip coming up!

I have been to Disneyland many, many times over the last 30 (ahem) - plus years and I am planning a brief (probably two day) trip ALONE for the first time ever!!! I am really excited to work at my own pace and do only what I want to do and see what I want to see. Among my "hope-to-accomplish" items:

Storybook Land Canal Boats (I have NEVER been on them!)
    Casey Jr (it's probably been close to 20 years)
    And a bunch of rides in single rider that of course I have never done before either

Basically I just want to enjoy things at my own pace.

For those of you who have done solo trips, what did you like and dislike about it? My biggest concern honestly is walking back to the hotel alone at night. I generally feel pretty safe tho and am staying nearby right on Harbor so I won't have a long walk.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Re: First Solo Trip coming up!

I've spent a day at the park alone before, on my Birthday actually, though I didn't want to be there alone. Obviously the biggest advantage is that you can do what you want to do whenever you want to. I'm of the mind that Disneyland is best when you can share the experience with a good friend who also appreciates Disney. However as you pointed out the single rider lines will work in your favor, and if you're purposely going alone then you will appreciate the experience. As far as a personal safety standpoint, granted I'm male but I still don't think you'll have any issues. That who area is so safe especially if all you have to do is walk across the street One thing that you may enjoy doing is just taking in the Disneyland atmosphere peacefully on your own... sitting on a bench, snacking on a Mickey Mouse icecream sandwich, and people watching. Enjoy your trip!

Yes... I am actually hoping to go again on my birthday later in the summer but alas, that will be a solo trip as well simply because I can't find anyone to go with me!

Thanks!
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

I live close to Disneyland and have gone a few times by myself. It is always nice to go at your own pace and enjoy what you want. Though I agree it is nice to be able to talk to someone while you are there, but some people will just talk to anybody while they are in line so you will meet lots of people, and who knows maybe you will run into another person from Micechat. As far as walking to your hotel, there are always lots of people walking to the hotels. You could probably just find a group going to their hotel and stay by them to make you feel safer.

What do I love about solo trips? Just about everything! I can see the street shows, take a long time taking pictures of things, watch the live bands in DCA, watch the parades, eat when and what I want with no discussion.

Down side? Not much. It's a tiny bit of a drag that when I'm solo, I can't have a glass of wine with dinner (got to drive home). People around me in the lines may or may not want to chat.

Enjoy your trip!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Sondheimian

90% of the time, I go by myself, and it's how I prefer it. For me, the best part is just taking in the little things. You can be disconnected from everything else for a little bit, and just observe the people and things around you, and just think about it to yourself. Of course, there's taking everything at your own pace, meeting and talking to people just because, the single rider line... I really do enjoy going by myself. You'll have a great time, just remember to enjoy the little things.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

I go to the parks by myself a lot. I love being able to do the rides I want to do and not have to worry that the rest of my group doesn't want to go on it.

My advice, take your time enjoying your "guilty pleasures" in the park. Once you go by yourself once, you realize how wonderful and special that is and you'll probably look forward to another solo trip (although I also love going with others once in a while).

• formerly very helpful

Be selfish and enjoy it! Do what you want, when you want! People are generally pretty friendly at Disneyland, so there should usually be people to chat with. If you're going to be there on a Sunday, there may be a MiceChat meet up. Check into it. I wouldn't worry about walking back to your hotel on Harbor, since there will be a lot of people walking back at the same time.

•   

I go solo all of the time. Having an AP allows that. Usually just for a few hours of people watching, window shopping, maybe a bite to eat and sometimes I even go on a ride! I also travel to WDW solo and generally enjoy the freedom solo travel allows. You should have a good time. After all, a day at Disney is always good!
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to it!

I forgot to comment on walking back to your hotel. I've only done that once, a couple months ago, staying at a hotel on Ball Rd, right by where you drive to the parking booths. Walked back and forth for three days, never felt in danger. Most of the hotels are on Harbor, yes? Lots of people will be around on that side. Shouldn't be a problem. Some of the hotels also have a shuttle, which is nice.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I hope you have a wonderful time- I hate the park alone I have been several times and every attraction I think of how wonderful it would be to be sharing it with my kids and I would get sad and weepy.

Have more fun than that

• Selfie Expert

You're going to have so much fun!! I'll repeat what everyone else has said - BE SELFISH and enjoy it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Hukuna Matata!

I think you'll be fine safety wise, just stick with the crowds. I dislike solo trips but will have to get used to them. Just have fun doing everything YOU want to do.

If you're staying on Harbor, close to the entrance, I wouldn't worry. The area is very well lit and there are always a lot of people. Once you get past Katella toward Orangewood, it gets a little more lonely, but still ok.

As for the experience of going alone, the only thing I personally miss out on are the actual rides. They're more fun to me with others.

Everything else is great, and maybe even a little better solo. You can stop and see more shows, observe characters, or people. I spent an hour last weekend sitting at an outdoor table at the Village Haus listening to OomPahPah music and watching the people go by. It was terrific. Better than any day at the beach IMO.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast