Returning the Horse-Drawn Surreys to Main Street, U.S.A.

Is there a particular reason the horse-drawn surreys no longer comprise some of the traffic on Main Street, U.S.A.?

They seem as if they would add a nice, romantic touch, like a hansom cab ride. Showing the transition from the horse-and-buggy to the motorcar would further reinforce Main Street, U.S.A.'s foreshadowing of the theme of Tomorrowland, as well.

• Stay Positive

Re: Returning the Horse-Drawn Surreys to Main Street, U.S.A.

I think that because the crowds of the 50th that the walkways are too crowded for a live animal to drive people around, and also the waste it leaves behind, someone will surley step in it. Some days i see it, usually when its not busy in the park
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Is there a particular reason the horse-drawn surreys no longer comprise some of the traffic on Main Street, U.S.A.?

They seem as if they would add a nice, romantic touch, like a hansom cab ride. Showing the transition from the horse-and-buggy to the motorcar would further reinforce Main Street, U.S.A.'s foreshadowing of the theme of Tomorrowland, as well.
    Do you mean the Horse-Drawn Street Car? I don't think I've ever seen a surrey on Main Street .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• A Pirate's life for me!

We saw the horses last month, mid-week. In fact, we took a pic of the kids with one (horse) while it was waiting for passengers to board on Main St.

Nice touch.

• Closed Account

Pragmatic is not confusing the horse car with anything else.

He means a horse drawn surrey, kind of like a nice buggy with a top, which was an attraction that graced Main Street in the early years. The surreys did, in fact, emphasize the trasition from horse power to internal combustion--in much the same way there are electric lights in Town Square (where a community experimenting with electricity might logically place it's first examples of electric lighting), while the rest of Main Street is gas-lighted--to emphasize the "crossroads of an era," as Walt stated.

My guess is, as has been hinted at, that the surreys were removed to create more room for pedestrian traffic.

• CM for 4 years!

All the world'll fly in a flurry
    When I take you out in the surrey,
    When I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top!

They had it out at the family holiday party at the beginning of December.

It is my dream to someday ride the horse-drawn surrey while "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" is playing on the Main Street loop.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Pragmatic is not confusing the horse car with anything else.

He means a horse drawn surrey, kind of like a nice buggy with a top, which was an attraction that graced Main Street in the early years. The surreys did, in fact, emphasize the trasition from horse power to internal combustion--in much the same way there are electric lights in Town Square (where a community experimenting with electricity might logically place it's first examples of electric lighting), while the rest of Main Street is gas-lighted--to emphasize the "crossroads of an era," as Walt stated.

My guess is, as has been hinted at, that the surreys were removed to create more room for pedestrian traffic.
    That would be cool. I would even recommend that they run it through Frontierland with a stop next to the ROA by where Fantasmic is shown. Of course, this could only be done on "light" days ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

Does anyone have pictures of the Surreys and any other retired Main Street Vehicles that may have been there in the park's early years?

I remember seeing film footage that showed the horses wearing hats similar to those in "Johnny Fedora & Alice Blue Bonnett".

• Banned User

Ok, How many were there? Were there other main Stret vehicles that were retired and no longer used used. How many rows of seats did they have? What colors did they come in? And does anyone have pictures

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that the surreys were retired when the omnibuses were added.

I believe the surreys were black and had a couple of rows of covered seating.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    Ok, How many were there? Were there other main Stret vehicles that were retired and no longer used used. How many rows of seats did they have? What colors did they come in? And does anyone have pictures
    The horse-drawn fire wagon, on display in the firehouse, was an operating attraction at one time.