Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Easter Sunday at DLR (lots of pictures) 3/31/13

My husband and I are lucky enough to have the benefit of getting Buddy Passes from family members who work for Southwest Airlines. So a few days ago we thought, let's see what Easter is like at Disneyland! We called my parents to see if we could drop off the kids for the day (note - our "kids" are two black Labrador retrievers), then signed ourselves up to fly standby to John Wayne.

We took the first nonstop from Phoenix to OC, which got us in at about 10:40. I wish it was earlier in the day, but beggars can't be choosers! We hopped in a cab and went straight to the parks.

EDIT: I meant to add this photo to show the crowd. I was expecting insane crowds at the entrance, but was pleasantly surprised to see we could walk right up!

The ONE thing that I really wanted on this trip was a picture with Carl from UP!. So, we went to DCA first. On our way in, I stopped by Oswald's hoping to see the supposed limited-time Easter ears (I saw none... only normal Oswald ears) and to get a copy of the Easter Egg hunt map around DCA. I learned that the hunt ended the prior week (dang it!) so we headed to Redwood Creek Challenge Trail for their egg hunt - and to, of course, meet Carl!

We had fun running around finding Kevin's Easter Eggs:

After completing the Easter Egg hunt, we performed our pledge for our Wilderness Badge.

My husband sure is a good sport, isn't he?

I had a laugh at him saying the pledge surrounded by children.

Next we stopped for a picture with Dug.

Then we got in line to wait for the Wilderness Explorer Graduation ceremony thing. I might have fudged the official name.

As we were waiting in line, I experienced something that I hope to never experience again. There was a boy a couple people behind us who was vomiting. His parents just stood there. They asked a passing CM for housekeeping to clean it up. The CM grabbed paper towels and cleaned it. The boy continued to vomit, AND THE PARENTS DID NOT LEAVE THE LINE! I know we've had a discussion on this topic before, but I wanted to scream at them for forcing their obviously sick child to not only remain at the park, but remain in a line, in the sun, when he's not feeling well. How completely selfish. Also, the CMs should have the authority to make parents take a sick child to first aid, not only for the child's sake, but for the sake of everyone around who don't want to be exposed to any contagious material as well as having to watch/hear/smell a child throwing up.

Okay, ending my rant! Sorry!

Back to business, and one of the highlights of my trip.

Toward the end of the show, one of my favorite Disney characters EVER made his appearance:

CARL!!!

Immediately following the show, those in attendance could get in line to meet him and Russel. So I practiced my Wilderness Explorer call:

And met Russel and Carl!!!

On our way out, we were handed more badges (wait, we didn't have to do the egg hunt?! Oh well, it was still fun) and an individually wrapper Peep!

I'll upload part two in a bit!!
    Last edited by KellyMcG86; 04-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Easter Sunday at DLR (lots of pictures) 3/31/13

Thanks for another great TR!

I feel so bad for the sick child Why wouldn't his parents do something other than let it just happen. How terrible for the kid and other other guests that had to deal with that.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Thanks for sharing....looks like you two had a great time
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

That is awesome that you got to meet Carl and Dug! Will they be at Redwood Creek Trail for a while or is it just an Easter thing? We'll be there later this month and I would LOVE to be able to meet them.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    That is awesome that you got to meet Carl and Dug! Will they be at Redwood Creek Trail for a while or is it just an Easter thing? We'll be there later this month and I would LOVE to be able to meet them.
    Carl was out just for the Easter thing, but Dug is always out everyday!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Pooloo See Bagoomba

Cool! Your trip reports are always so fun Kelly. Glad you could get to the parks on Easter. Looks like you guys had a great time so far.

Sorry I was behind you in line and all I could do was puke. I tried to say Hi but couldn't get it out. AF!
    ​ Yes

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Thanks for another great TR!

I feel so bad for the sick child Why wouldn't his parents do something other than let it just happen. How terrible for the kid and other other guests that had to deal with that.
    Right?! That poor kid. Glad you enjoyed the rest of the TR - I promise that was the worst of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Thanks for sharing....looks like you two had a great time
    Great times were had, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Disney Ninja answered below, but I'll add that I sure do wish Carl was out permanently!! He's just so freaking great!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    Carl was out just for the Easter thing, but Dug is always out everyday!
    Thank you, Disney Ninja! Hopefully they'll bring Carl out for other events, his costume was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybear62 View Post
    Cool! Your trip reports are always so fun Kelly. Glad you could get to the parks on Easter. Looks like you guys had a great time so far.

Sorry I was behind you in line and all I could do was puke. I tried to say Hi but couldn't get it out. AF!
    Thanks, Humphrey Bear! That's okay, just let your parents know that if they do that again I'll punch them in their faces! Hahaha kidding!!!! Kind of....

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I'm disappointed. The only food in this trip report so far is a wrapped mini peep.

JK, Kelly! I'm also jealous that you got to fly. And that you met Carl with bunny ears.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I'm disappointed. The only food in this trip report so far is a wrapped mini peep.

JK, Kelly! I'm also jealous that you got to fly. And that you met Carl with bunny ears.
    Haha don't worry!! I took pictures of everything we ate! Just haven't gotten to those parts yet.

Flying is awesome. It makes short trips like this possible! Otherwise it's a 5-6 hour drive each way, so it's not worth it for a one-day trip.

I would be jealous of meeting Carl, too! Hahaha

• Selfie Expert

After earning our Wilderness Explorer badges, we headed across the Esplanade to enter Disneyland.

On our way to find some lunch, we stopped by the Princess Fantasy Faire.

The Meet and Greet line had a 50 minute wait, and my husband doesn't like meeting the princesses (he says it's "awkward"... hahaha), so we just took a quick look around and headed out. In my opinion, I think it's a great addition to the park. Yes, I would agree that the tent thing is a little obnoxious with the coloring, but I'm sure it will fade. I hope to be able to explore it a little more when it's less crowded.

We then headed through the passageway into Frontierland

Now, the mission of this trip was to mark things off of my To Do List. If you haven't checked it out, I suggest you do so. It's been pretty fun!

Anyway! We headed to the Frontierland Shooting Exposition to mark an item off my To Do List

By this time it was around 1pm, so we were ready for lunch. We decided to try the French Market, which we have surprisingly never eaten at before.

My husband had the Cajun meatloaf

I had the red beans and rice

And we split a piece of chocolate cake for dessert

Overall, we were very happy with our meals. The meatloaf was tasty, though not as "Cajun" as we expected. The mashed potatoes were, in my opinion, some of the yummiest, butteriest mashed potatoes I've had. The vegetables were meh. Vegetables. My red beans and rices was delicious!! So tasty, and HUGE. We could have split my meal and probably still had some leftover. And check out this huge piece of ham in my beans!

And it just melted in your mouth!!

The cake was really good. It had mousse in some layers which kept it from being too heavy or rich. The bottom was a sort of cookie crust. Not the most amazing dessert I've had in the park, but still very good!

(Happy, Tinkbelle?! )

Next we'll head to Fantasyland to mark a few rides off of my To Do List!

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Awesome! You guys are so cute and fun, he's a great sport! I can't wait for more!!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    Awesome! You guys are so cute and fun, he's a great sport! I can't wait for more!!
    Thanks, Brittany!

Looks like a fun trip! I need to go see Carl & Russel, they look so cool.

•   
    • Banned User

Outstanding trip report! Thanks for sharing!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Looks like a fun trip! I need to go see Carl & Russel, they look so cool.
    Don't they look like they stepped right out of the movie?! It's really amazing.

I heard that Carl was only out for Easter, but I can't imagine that they would only use him for that one holiday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he makes some more appearances!

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Outstanding trip report! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast