Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Talking a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    I've had this idea for a while, so i thought I'd share it with you guys. Bascically the theme would be changed to a lagoon where scientist where able to re introduce prehistoric sea life into today's (tomorrows?) ocean. All nemo related things would be removed. The sea gulls are replaced by a mother pterydactyl and her offspring dipping there heads into the water, appearing to be fishing.

    The submarines would be painted a white with silver stripes. Instead of portholes, there would be one liniar strip of glass. you can kind of see what i'm going for in this rough sketch.


    image by holmes.ashton96, on Flickr

    Once inside the submarine, the spiel would come on explaining how their second base in Florida (reference to the dinosaur institute) has been traveling back in time and bring prehistoric animals from the past for years. They were able to send some of these animals here for Paleobiologist to try and re introduce them into the lagoon. You then begin your journey. The first animals you encounter various Ammonoidea (mollusk) searching for and eating plankton, you then move on and see Protostega (a large sea turtle) interacting with other present day (future?) sea turtles. From there you move on to the next scene, where Ichthyosaurs (dolphin shaped reptiles) searching for fish to eat as depicted here


    itcheh2final by holmes.ashton96, on Flickr

    you then pass by Plesiosaurus which, while swimming, accidentally hits your submarine which causes it to shake a bit. From there you move into the cave where a Plotosaurus attacks your submarine. You barley escape and make your way towards a group of Bananogmius feeding on mollusk. You then move on to a scene where multipule animals prehistoric and present day, some of the animals would include...Hesperomis (a prehistoric flightless bird) pelicans, various reef dwelling fish protosphyraena(an animal similar to a sword fish), xiphactinus and many others. You then arrive back at the loading station.

    I want to apologize for any spelling errors lol.

  2. #2

    • Beach Expert
    • Online

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,577

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Good idea except for the sub redesign. Other than a paint job those are still the same vehicles that were there since the ride opened in 1959. Besides, the way the subs are built it's probably impossible to replace the portholes with one long pane of glass.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Thanks, I was thinking they could maybe make completely new subs?

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Bay, CA
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    One of the advantages the portholes have over a long strip of window is that your view is limited. You only see what you see for a moment and then it's gone. This maintains some of the illusions that are going on. A fish hovering as you pass by seems appropriate, a fish that you can see hovering for a long long time due to your expanded view would make the fish seem less real. I love the design concepts you have, I love when people cook up new ideas, but I also like working with the limitations as they make even more creative solutions for those limitations.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    One of the advantages the portholes have over a long strip of window is that your view is limited. You only see what you see for a moment and then it's gone. This maintains some of the illusions that are going on. A fish hovering as you pass by seems appropriate, a fish that you can see hovering for a long long time due to your expanded view would make the fish seem less real.
    Didn't even think about this. That would make the animals seem fabricated. Thanks for commenting, I love seeing other people's critics an comments so I can improve the idea.

  6. #6

    •   
    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    743

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Nothing against Finding Nemo but I think your idea is a substantial improvement. This is a ride I'd like to see. That's a great tie-in to the Florida ride, too. I appreciate that you've really thought this through.

    Although I understand the arguments against the portholes being changed ( and am sold on the one that reminds how a single porthole confines the view, directing it only on the action ) your elongated porthole could be a possibility. The subs on the ride are real subs that I recall being used in Hawaii on some tourist attraction in the 70's and 80's. They're really capable of diving and steering independent of a track. As such, those portholes were designed to take a bit higher water pressure so you could go about 60 feet down and look at the sea life.

    Since this is just a ride at Disneyland and isn't subject to the higher pressures of deeper waters, the elongated port would only have to withstand the 5 or 6 feet of depth that the sub's portholes operate under.

    Anything is possible if you think about it hard enough and come up with a solution.

    It won't be done for the following 3 reasons. (1) The effort outweighs the return. (2) The result dissolves the illusion. (3) The alteration to the sub creates a legal liability. If something goes wrong even just 5 feet under the surface, the entire sub fills up with water and the likelihood of mass death would be too great. I'm sure there are those out there who think they'll just swim out of it but no, there's water pressure that will either snap your neck in your seat or hold you in place while the water gushes in. Also, the weight of suddenly being filled with water could dislodge the sub from the track, dumping it on it's side. The risk is just way too high for the return.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

    <a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Ahhhh I see, didn't know about this as well. Thanks

  8. #8

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Not at Disneyland :(
    Posts
    2,477

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Very interesting concept (not much to lend to Tomorrowland, but many things in Tomorrowland don't fit) that would be very cool. However, with the announcement now of a sequel to Finding Nemo (http://micechat.com/forums/movies/18...ry-2015-a.html) I have a feeling that the only thing that is going to change with FNSV is that it will become Finding Dory Submarine Voyage. I guess anyone coming up with new ideas for Tomorrowland now might as well just pencil this in right now.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    I'm hoping, due to the new sequel partially taking place in CA, that they'll remove the nemo theme from the subs and make a nemo attraction in DCA.

  10. #10

    • I'm a Lutheran
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    I'm almost certain that with Finding Dory in 2015, the current Subs are here to stay... Unless they decide to change the theme to match the sequel.

    Aside from that, I much prefer this idea. Good work.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I'm almost certain that with Finding Dory in 2015, the current Subs are here to stay... Unless they decide to change the theme to match the sequel.

    Aside from that, I much prefer this idea. Good work.
    Thanks

  12. #12

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    It won't be done for the following 3 reasons. (1) The effort outweighs the return. (2) The result dissolves the illusion. (3) The alteration to the sub creates a legal liability. If something goes wrong even just 5 feet under the surface, the entire sub fills up with water and the likelihood of mass death would be too great. I'm sure there are those out there who think they'll just swim out of it but no, there's water pressure that will either snap your neck in your seat or hold you in place while the water gushes in. Also, the weight of suddenly being filled with water could dislodge the sub from the track, dumping it on it's side. The risk is just way too high for the return.
    But guests love the part where "something goes terribly wrong."

  13. #13

    • is poppin' tags
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Being a huge natural history nerd, I love your idea and I'd love to see a dinosaur based ride in any of the parks. The dino scenes on the train are some of my faves. But I am suprised that not one person pointed out that the story line for the proposed attraction is almost identical to Jurasssic Park. The re-introduction of extinct animals through the wonders of science? I'm not sure who owns the rights to that movie/story/premise, but I really don't think it's Disney. Don't they have a JP ride at Universal or something?
    Anyhow, I think your idea is fun and with Disney's attention to detail, it could be a really fabulous hit. I just think the the story may need some tweaking. Also, dinosaurs in TL doesn't sit with me just right. It seems more Adventureland type fare to me.
    Please add more! Your imagination is wonderful!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/





  14. #14

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,746

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking they could maybe make completely new subs?
    At over 2 million dollars a piece in their current form, Disney wouldn't spend that. This is why they salvaged the old vehicles. I'm betting new ones would cost more than double, especially with the enhancements you detailed and the fact they have to be up to code. Should they do this concept, absolutely, but we all know Disney wont bother on a non-movie franchise, a poor business plan for long-term success.

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: a prehistoric themed submarine adventure to replace FNSV (with concept art)

    Quote Originally Posted by leopardchucks View Post
    Being a huge natural history nerd, I love your idea and I'd love to see a dinosaur based ride in any of the parks. The dino scenes on the train are some of my faves. But I am suprised that not one person pointed out that the story line for the proposed attraction is almost identical to Jurasssic Park. The re-introduction of extinct animals through the wonders of science? I'm not sure who owns the rights to that movie/story/premise, but I really don't think it's Disney. Don't they have a JP ride at Universal or something?
    Anyhow, I think your idea is fun and with Disney's attention to detail, it could be a really fabulous hit. I just think the the story may need some tweaking. Also, dinosaurs in TL doesn't sit with me just right. It seems more Adventureland type fare to me.
    Please add more! Your imagination is wonderful!
    Thanks , I have to admit i did rush the idea a bit. I tend to draw before i develop the complete story. I can see some similarities with Jurassic Park, but there are some differences. For the ride, they're going into the past and bringing them into the future and introducing them into the ocean with other creatures rather than keeping them secluded with species from the same era. Your right it would fit Adventureland some what better! Sadly, there's no space although i wish there was, its my favorite land!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DaddyB's "Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure" photo update
    By daddyb in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
  2. What could they replace Remember with???
    By DisneyLandFreak88 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
  3. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - New concept art released!
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
  4. Replace DCA with...
    By KNRG in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
  5. What would you replace Innoventions with?
    By wem1985 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •