Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Does this mean the subs are here to stay? (Finding Nemo Sequel Confirmed)

But then Andrew Stanton decided to do Nemo 2 (probably asked by Pixar-Disney as it is their number one grossing Pixar film after adjusting for box office prices). So, I wouldn't expect to see any changes pre- and for a significant post- time after Nemo 2 opens.

The Subs, after all, aren't a Wreck It Ralph meet and greet but a full fledged attraction that has developed a following.

Supposedly the biggest $$ issue with the Subs is the cost of projector bulbs for the underwater scenes. If Disney plans on keeping the attraction for more than 5 years, (more than likely with Nemo 2), then they could invest in LED light sourced projectors. Remember that the old diesel subs were a pain maintenance-wise, now the Subs are electric with basically the only moving part being the motor, and they charge via magnetic induction at the dock . . . expensive to put in, but once you do it then it is less of a cost over the longterm.

If they want to do StarWars land, one option that may, or may not, be considered is the Primeval World Diorama, which could be replaced with a showbuilding for a Star Wars E-Ticket, with the queue being where Red Rockets is right now. The train would have to travel through a smaller themed corridor. As opposed to Innoventions, using Primeval World for a Star Wars showbuilding would allow for a long stretch for accelerations, all Innoventions could fit would be a twisty type roller coaster, or another Star Tours, if they are confined to this building.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    If they want to do StarWars land, one option that may, or may not, be considered is the Primeval World Diorama, which could be replaced with a showbuilding for a Star Wars E-Ticket, with the queue being where Red Rockets is right now. The train would have to travel through a smaller themed corridor. As opposed to Innoventions, using Primeval World for a Star Wars showbuilding would allow for a long stretch for accelerations, all Innoventions could fit would be a twisty type roller coaster, or another Star Tours, if they are confined to this building.
    Exactly. Of all the lands at Disneyland, Tomorrowland is not the one lacking in expansion space. For one, they have tons of it wasted right now (Innoventions and the Starcade and the Magic Eye!). If they need more, they have the entire shuttle bus area directly south beyond the berm, and getting to and using this space is a significantly easier design problem than the really, really complex challenges they had to solve to squeeze Indiana Jones into Adventureland 20 years ago.

There's no need to rip out the subs, not after they just spent a nine figure amount of money to get it back up and it is very popular.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Exactly. Of all the lands at Disneyland, Tomorrowland is not the one lacking in expansion space. For one, they have tons of it wasted right now (Innoventions and the Starcade and the Magic Eye!). If they need more, they have the entire shuttle bus area directly south beyond the berm, and getting to and using this space is a significantly easier design problem than the really, really complex challenges they had to solve to squeeze Indiana Jones into Adventureland 20 years ago.

There's no need to rip out the subs, not after they just spent a nine figure amount of money to get it back up and it is very popular.
    Exactly. You get it.

• "I don't like the color"

I don't see then ripping out the Subs but I do see a wrap in the near future for the Monorails.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I was never quite convinced by Al's article saying the Subs were leaving anyway, seems quite silly to take out a relatively new ride, it can't be much more expensive to run than some of Disneyland's other major E ticket attractions. I do agree with what was said earlier, that ride is going to build some nostalgia as the movie is sure to become a classic in the coming years. It might be cool if they add a little something to the subs for the sequel, similar to what they did with POTC adding the Jack Sparrow animatronics.

• The doctor is in

This definitely means they are here to stay. They will probably get a small refurb/update after the release, too. That is my prediction.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    I was never quite convinced by Al's article saying the Subs were leaving anyway, seems quite silly to take out a relatively new ride, it can't be much more expensive to run than some of Disneyland's other major E ticket attractions. I do agree with what was said earlier, that ride is going to build some nostalgia as the movie is sure to become a classic in the coming years. It might be cool if they add a little something to the subs for the sequel, similar to what they did with POTC adding the Jack Sparrow animatronics.
    Al may well have been right about drama behind the scenes. The Subs ride in Orlando was closed after maintenance staged a nightmare ride with the brass to show them how the subs were falling apart. The reason being was that they hated taking care of the ride.

Marty Sklar had to threaten to lie down on Harbor Boulevard to keep the subs from being taken out at Disneyland, so there have been battles in the past.

Then the Rocket Rods was closed due in part to the very high cost of constantly replacing tires on the cars.

However, given how much $$$ was put into the ride, which luckily has a sequel coming out, I doubt it will close anytime soon unless some unforseen maintenance issue pops up. Actually, I can't remember the last time the Nemo Subs went down for an extended maintenance, seems to have a pretty spotless record, which is good in terms of overall ride capacity for the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Marty Sklar had to threaten to lie down on Harbor Boulevard to keep the subs from being taken out at Disneyland, so there have been battles in the past.
    There were more than "battles." Tony and Marty staged a full out war to get the subs back. It wasn't pretty, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Due to the film partially taking place on the California coast, I could see them removing the nemo theme from the subs and putting a nemo attraction in DCA. Not that I want a nemo ride in DCA, but I'd like that much better over the subs in TL

Poor Dory, she can never survive the cold waters off California.

• The doctor is in

Due to the film partially taking place on the California coast, I could see them removing the nemo theme from the subs and putting a nemo attraction in DCA. Not that I want a nemo ride in DCA, but I'd like that much better over the subs in TL
    I didn't know "P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney" was in California.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The California waters reference is in regards to the sequel, which has been said to focus on Dory's family.

Everyone seems to be making the subs out to be a newer ride because of the Nemo overlay. It's no newer a ride than the Nightmare overlay makes Haunted Mansion a new ride. Yes, it was quite an investment to implement the overlay, but that doesn't mean it's safe from removal. They can take the projection portion and incorporate it into a new ride with a much smaller footprint, similar in size to a standard dark ride really.

The reason why it keeps being discussed as a possibility for removal is more likely due to what's on top of it than the ride itself. In the 6/26 article by Al the main statistic to pay attention to is the percentage of the park that 3 attractions take up: 20%. Combined, those 3 each have some of the lowest riders per hour per square foot. Innoventions is a wreck, Autopia needs to go, and the skeleton of the People Mover has to be pulled down. In order to do those last two, guess what goes with it? If they're going to do anything with Tomorrowland, whether it be Marvel or Star Wars or even a brand new idea, the subs are on the chopping block because of their location, plain and simple.

• formerly very helpful

I don't necessarily want the subs to leave, but I wouldn't mind seeing some enhancements. Personally, I'd like to see more actual fish and stuff, and less reliance on the tv screens. I can watch tv at home. I go to Disneyland to SEE and DO things.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The sequel is partially taking place in California....no need for sarcasm.

I actually like the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, even it doesn't represent the land of Tomorrow that much. All that aside, I would feel like that area would be missing something crucial if they were to completely take out the subs. Only for nostalgic reasons do I like seeing them move about the water. Like I said, I already like the ride so if they changed anything for the upcoming sequel I wouldn't mind seeing an updated overlay, maybe additional props etc. but nothing too crazy. Can't wait for the movie though!

• The doctor is in

The sequel is partially taking place in California....no need for sarcasm.
    Sorry. I suffer from short-term memory loss.

But in all seriousness, I don't see the point in spending all the money to transfer the subs to DCA. Not only that but where would they be placed? There isn't a whole lot of room around Paradise Pier.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast