Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Does this mean the subs are here to stay? (Finding Nemo Sequel Confirmed)

Didn't they say the budget was cut(possibly due to overruns) and would eventually be finished down the line with a phase 2?

I wish the subs were less popular and had shorter lines so I would ride it more, but I'm just happy its such a success. I'm also happy that there is so much land OTHER than the popular subs to utilize... Innovations, the skyway station, mission to mars(the huge courtyard outside where the globe/water was), captain eo(its empty roof), star trader, starcade, the huge peoplemover station and that free second story space(with the removal to the peoplemover track) that can be put in to make the land indoors with overhead dinning/shops as a roof. The Autopia needs to be relocated behind Luigi's Tires ASAP to make additional room.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Since they were never on the chopping block, it's safe to say they are staying. A sequel to the film means nothing in terms of the attraction being updated.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    The Autopia needs to be relocated behind Luigi's Tires ASAP to make additional room.
    That would suck. Sorry but no.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Sorry. I suffer from short-term memory loss.

But in all seriousness, I don't see the point in spending all the money to transfer the subs to DCA. Not only that but where would they be placed? There isn't a whole lot of room around Paradise Pier.
    Not the subs, just a nemo attraction in general

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Not the subs, just a nemo attraction in general
    One similar to the Nemo ride in Epcot or something completely different?
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

^most likely comletely different since it has a similar ride system as TLM

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's not very practical, Disney would never do this. Plus, Nemo is Australian, not Californian. Even if the sequel has a segment off the CA coast.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    ^most likely comletely different since it has a similar ride system as TLM
    If they kept the subs and added a new ride in DCA that would make 3 Nemo themed attractions in two parks.

Probably a bit much.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    If they kept the subs and added a new ride in DCA that would make 3 Nemo themed attractions in two parks.

Probably a bit much.
    I agree. There are already technically 2 Nemo attractions (FNSV and Turtle Talk), just like how there are already 2 Toy Story attractions (BLAB and TSMM). As much as I love both of these franchises, I think it would be overkill to add another separate attraction.
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The subs are not going down. All talk of such, is just bubbles.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The subs are not going down. All talk of such, is just bubbles.
    Eventually the subs will.be closed again. They are just too impractical to operate as a theme park ride. The high cost of maintenance for the subs, the high cost of filtering and maintaining the lagoon, the insanely high labor costs, the cost of running the show and replacing the equipment and the incredibly low capacity all spell doom for that ride. Its only a matter of time.

Sooner hopefully than later. The Autopia and monorail are ready for replacement now, and the only thing keeping them there is the huge cost of replacing the lagoon. Someone just needs to pull the trigger.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    The California waters reference is in regards to the sequel, which has been said to focus on Dory's family.

Everyone seems to be making the subs out to be a newer ride because of the Nemo overlay. It's no newer a ride than the Nightmare overlay makes Haunted Mansion a new ride. Yes, it was quite an investment to implement the overlay, but that doesn't mean it's safe from removal. They can take the projection portion and incorporate it into a new ride with a much smaller footprint, similar in size to a standard dark ride really.

The reason why it keeps being discussed as a possibility for removal is more likely due to what's on top of it than the ride itself. In the 6/26 article by Al the main statistic to pay attention to is the percentage of the park that 3 attractions take up: 20%. Combined, those 3 each have some of the lowest riders per hour per square foot. Innoventions is a wreck, Autopia needs to go, and the skeleton of the People Mover has to be pulled down. In order to do those last two, guess what goes with it? If they're going to do anything with Tomorrowland, whether it be Marvel or Star Wars or even a brand new idea, the subs are on the chopping block because of their location, plain and simple.
    It isn't really "plain and simple" as the footprints for the People Mover tracks could be used for the outdoor portion of Tomorrowland ride, i.e. if they took out Autopia then themed the whole thing like Mars and build some sort of track . . . of course this assuming that the Autopia, which moves *tons* of riders (~1,750 per hour), will be on the chopping block. Don't see it happening given the popularity and given that it is not RSR, as you get the drive the car.

I think an Autopia with a Martian overlay would work great, likewise, they could build an E-Ticket Toad Hall on the old Motor Boat dock, have inside dark ride portions, and a special outside portion made up to look like the english country side by utilizing the Fantasyland half of the Autopia. Even though the Autopia is just "plain" families with little kids demand this attraction, its also a rite of passage.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Except that the lagoon and the subs were totally refurbished a couple of years ago, not to mention the cash they went through to develop the "Nemo" show projections. I think they'll try to squeeze a few more years out of this investment at a bare minimum.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    Didn't they say the budget was cut(possibly due to overruns) and would eventually be finished down the line with a phase 2?

I wish the subs were less popular and had shorter lines so I would ride it more, but I'm just happy its such a success. I'm also happy that there is so much land OTHER than the popular subs to utilize... Innovations, the skyway station, mission to mars(the huge courtyard outside where the globe/water was), captain eo(its empty roof), star trader, starcade, the huge peoplemover station and that free second story space(with the removal to the peoplemover track) that can be put in to make the land indoors with overhead dinning/shops as a roof. The Autopia needs to be relocated behind Luigi's Tires ASAP to make additional room.

Innoventions does have a footprint on the size of the Matterhorn, plus if they used an outside track, they could build one great ride, of course it would have to be custom made to fit into Disneyland's Tomorrowland, but don't see why it couldn't be done.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Eventually the subs will.be closed again. They are just too impractical to operate as a theme park ride. The high cost of maintenance for the subs, the high cost of filtering and maintaining the lagoon, the insanely high labor costs, the cost of running the show and replacing the equipment and the incredibly low capacity all spell doom for that ride. Its only a matter of time.

Sooner hopefully than later. The Autopia and monorail are ready for replacement now, and the only thing keeping them there is the huge cost of replacing the lagoon. Someone just needs to pull the trigger.
    The only thing that keeps the monorail where it is is the high cost of moving sections of track, they didn't even do that for BVS though I hear they are stuck with a bridge that they keep trying different paint schemes to hide.

Subs operating cost isn't that bad. The new Subs are ultra-efficient electric models, maybe projector bulbs cost some $$, but LED projectors are here and everything can be replaced with stuff that will last for years and years.

The Mark Twain also has a big refurb budget with a low capacity, yet it keeps going. I don't remember the last time they drained the Subs post Nemo opening . . . they built it to last as it is always going.

Not everything can be a cheap high-capacity ride like Mermaid with a handful of castmembers . . . oh, that's right, Mermaid isn't popular. Subs has drivers, castmembers helping with loading/unloading at the dock . . . not too bad. Storybook has one CM per boat, hope they don't change that in the name of making money.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast