Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Banned User

Re: Anaheim Is Planning To Build A Trolly System That Would Include Disneyland As A S

Well, old news or not this is the first thread about it that caught my eye enough to read it. Regardless who was first to it, I thank you all for bringing the topic up. Being Anaheim I'm almost sorry it wasn't a monorail instead of a trolley.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Anaheim Is Planning To Build A Trolly System That Would Include Disneyland As A S

I agree it's worthy of a thread, good job RideWarrior. Just go in and fix the errors in the OP.

• Minion

I always look at the transportation thread, as I find the information VERY interesting. I don't have a car, so I have to take the bus to Disneyland from Los Angeles, which takes two hours. I hate that. Metro needs to build a rail system that goes straight to Disneyland, like the Red Line goes straight to Universal Studios.

The trolley in Anaheim and the one that should be coming in Los Angeles interest me.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Well, old news or not this is the first thread about it that caught my eye enough to read it. Regardless who was first to it, I thank you all for bringing the topic up. Being Anaheim I'm almost sorry it wasn't a monorail instead of a trolley.
    Thank you for the compliment friend fifthrider. You will be happy to know that the monorail will fit into the new transportation dynamic in Anaheim.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I agree it's worthy of a thread, good job RideWarrior. Just go in and fix the errors in the OP.
    I did, and I also recommended that those who seek extensive information on the subject should go to the link to your transportation thread, Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I always look at the transportation thread, as I find the information VERY interesting. I don't have a car, so I have to take the bus to Disneyland from Los Angeles, which takes two hours. I hate that. Metro needs to build a rail system that goes straight to Disneyland, like the Red Line goes straight to Universal Studios.

The trolley in Anaheim and the one that should be coming in Los Angeles interest me.
    CAs transportation thread is highly detailed and always current.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-04-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank you, my friend. One more thing: Cut the part
    The monorail will also be a part of the new Anaheim transportation Center.
    That's not correct. The bit about the monorail, is after taking Amtrak to the Trolley you could conceivably walk past the main entrance and go on the Disneyland Monorail to complete your rail journey into the park. I suppose you could follow it up with a grand circle tour on the Disneyland Railroad, departing from Tomorrowland Station. Then hop from Casey Jr to Big Thunder and make a day out of riding trains.

At one point, a monorail or elevated light rail line were considered for this project, but a streetcar was determined to be the best alternative. Buses cost less, but there's little 'sex appeal' for the arriving tourists, trains are better at attracting new riders.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Thank you, my friend. One more thing: Cut the part

That's not correct. The bit about the monorail, is after taking Amtrak to the Trolley you could conceivably walk past the main entrance and go on the Disneyland Monorail to complete your rail journey into the park. I suppose you could follow it up with a grand circle tour on the Disneyland Railroad, departing from Tomorrowland Station. Then hop from Casey Jr to Big Thunder and make a day out of riding trains.

At one point, a monorail or elevated light rail line were considered for this project, but a streetcar was determined to be the best alternative. Buses cost less, but there's little 'sex appeal' for the arriving tourists, trains are better at attracting new riders.
    Done! Just the same, many such as me are hoping that the monorail system will be extended into the Anaheim transprtation system. I'd far more like to see that than more busses.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think they missed an opportunity to build a monorail, too. What could be more DISNEY? But the thing is, this is supposed to be for Disney, the Convention Center, Garden Walk, Angels Stadium and Honda Center to link up, not just for Disney's guests.

The street car is already an expensive option, but everyone would be pointing fingers if Anaheim was paying the cost of a monorail that would be seen as an extension of the private Disneyland Monorail but one financed by the city coffers.

•   
    • Banned User

Disabilities probably factor in a large deal, too. I worked for the San Diego MTDB ( aka - The Transit System ) for about 5 years and ended up sitting in some meetings up on the 11th floor where all the suits and ties talked about "future plans for the next 20 years", which we are pretty much at the end of now. Elevated track systems were always shot down unless they included a ton of ramps and elevators. Today we now have those around our stadium where it's just a ton of ramps. To build all those leaves a huge footprint.

I don't see the municipal layout of the platinum triangle or the Anaheim resort area allowing for a structure that size. It would have to be ground level if just for the disabled customers.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The option chosen is an at-grade (on the ground) streetcar, apparently to run in mixed traffic on the city streets with cars. Although I see land under the power lines and along the East side of DCA that could be converted to accommodate a separate right of way for the street car, and on much of the rest of the route it stays off the main arterials.

Here's the map:
    http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012_10...reet-thumb.jpg

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think they missed an opportunity to build a monorail, too. What could be more DISNEY? But the thing is, this is supposed to be for Disney, the Convention Center, Garden Walk, Angels Stadium and Honda Center to link up, not just for Disney's guests.

The street car is already an expensive option, but everyone would be pointing fingers if Anaheim was paying the cost of a monorail that would be seen as an extension of the private Disneyland Monorail but one financed by the city coffers.
    Point taken. Disney would need to pay for any expansion of the Monorail route into the city.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Disabilities probably factor in a large deal, too. I worked for the San Diego MTDB ( aka - The Transit System ) for about 5 years and ended up sitting in some meetings up on the 11th floor where all the suits and ties talked about "future plans for the next 20 years", which we are pretty much at the end of now. Elevated track systems were always shot down unless they included a ton of ramps and elevators. Today we now have those around our stadium where it's just a ton of ramps. To build all those leaves a huge footprint.

I don't see the municipal layout of the platinum triangle or the Anaheim resort area allowing for a structure that size. It would have to be ground level if just for the disabled customers.
    The monorail train would need to be loaded/unloaded at ground level and rise along with the rail afterward....either that or do all the conductor bells and train whistles and install the ramps and elevators.

The option chosen is an at-grade (on the ground) streetcar, apparently to run in mixed traffic on the city streets with cars. Although I see land under the power lines and along the East side of DCA that could be converted to accommodate a separate right of way for the street car, and on much of the rest of the route it stays off the main arterials.

Here's the map:
    http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012_10...reet-thumb.jpg
    A separate right-of-way for the streetcars would definitely be preferrable wherever along the route it is possible. Thanks for posting the link to the map.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't suppose the tracks could fly over the corner of Katella and Harbor and terminate at a station at the entrance of PARK 3? (East side of Harbor).

• Iron-Clad Allie

I don't suppose the tracks could fly over the corner of Katella and Harbor and terminate at a station at the entrance of PARK 3? (East side of Harbor).
    Great possibility! An extended monorail track path to another park at the same resort (a considerable distance away) exists at WDW. So, the same sort of thing could and should be put in place between Disneyland/DCA and the future third park.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Otherwise, they could just do a skybridge from the back corner of an expanded DCA over to the third park, but that would be cheaping out and Disney doesn't do that.

• Iron-Clad Allie

If coming to a dead end at TP3 is what you mean, it would have to be a continual track path in both directions.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-09-2013 at 03:51 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Metro needs to build a rail system that goes straight to Disneyland, like the Red Line goes straight to Universal Studios.
    Good point you've brought up. There are a lot more people coming off each subway to USH than the few trains getting on buses to DLR. Perhaps having the Trolley in place will adjust this. As USH has many feeder lines into Union Station or LA and a quick ride on the red line to USH, maybe DLR will be the same with trains coming from the far reaches of the multi county area and a short trolley ride to DLR.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast