Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• New Member Goes Forth

Re: Disneyland and the Green Revolution: Will it happen anytime soon?

Yes, Disney are trying to be green, but it does cost alot of money
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm not crazy about air hand dryers. They tend to be messy as compared to paper.

I've always wondered why they don't install waterless urinals though. Almost every mall I've been to has those now. I'm surprised DL hasn't made the switch to that yet.
    Simple... they stink... if you think the stench is bad in Summer, with waterless Urinals, it'll be worse... much much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    Ok, random thought and it's been on my mind for awhile.

Ever since I can remember visiting Disneyland (pre-DCA, pre-DTD) era, electric hand dryers were non-existent.

A few visits in the past, and I do know that Hungry Bear Restrooms and the Embarcadero Restrooms (heading into Paradise Pier from Golden State) has a few Dyson Airblades along with paper towel dispensers.

My question is when, IF they decide, to start going green and will they abandon the paper towels in favor for hand dryers? Of course, I don't expect them to give in so easily. I do understand it is probably a matter of cost and maintenance as well as rerouting the electrics to wire up to these new dryers ($$$) but I wonder if anyone else thinks that Disney may implement more green standards throughout the DLR and if it will help alleviate costs...

#1 Reason... Georgia Pacific is a sponsor!

But really, hand towels are one of the easiest "green" items to buy, they're recycled. I work for a company that sells office and JanSan supplies, and hand towels are one of the #1 items people buy to get their "green" recycled contents up. (Copy paper is probably #2... and it goes from there).

Many don't like the electric systems, they take longer, use quite a bit of electricity. You'd have to install about 3-4 times more dryers than towel dispensers to get the same use levels.

They also break, and cause quite a bit of noise pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Yes, Disney are trying to be green, but it does cost alot of money

Used to be that the recycled stuff was the "cheap" stuff... now there's about a 30-100% premium on it.

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Good to see people giving their two cents on the matter.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of hand dryers as I have a hard time with the Dysons...now if they REALLY want to be effective, they COULD (not saying they should...so Disney, DON'T GET ANY IDEAS!) put in these things:

Name:  brushed-front.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  8.1 KB

As far as waterless urinals...that would be a good idea too, but I agree. They can leave a foul and unpleasant odor behind. Imagine what it would be like if they installed these in the Space Mountain restrooms...

Oh, and APs...I too, have seen the new APs. I renewed at the time people were getting the new ones but I didn't get the new one. Mine just says "VALID THRU XX/XX" still. I guess I wasn't the lucky ones...

Possibly the only hand dryer out there that works...lol

I agree with others, I prefer paper towels and hate when they are not an option, and hand dryers create congestion in the restroom more then paper towel dispensers do.

As long as the paper used is recycled paper, I am okay with paper towels.

Good to see people giving their two cents on the matter.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of hand dryers as I have a hard time with the Dysons...now if they REALLY want to be effective, they COULD (not saying they should...so Disney, DON'T GET ANY IDEAS!) put in these things:

Name:  brushed-front.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  8.1 KB

As far as waterless urinals...that would be a good idea too, but I agree. They can leave a foul and unpleasant odor behind. Imagine what it would be like if they installed these in the Space Mountain restrooms...

Oh, and APs...I too, have seen the new APs. I renewed at the time people were getting the new ones but I didn't get the new one. Mine just says "VALID THRU XX/XX" still. I guess I wasn't the lucky ones...

•   
    • Minion

I appreciate green initiatives but for all the reasons people have mentioned already, I would surely hope they stick with the paper towels. They are far more hygienic and in a place like Disneyland where there are so many people spreading their germs, that is super important.

I've noticed they've made other steps toward going green, like printing the schedules for days at a time instead of making a new one every day.

Ok, random thought and it's been on my mind for awhile.

Ever since I can remember visiting Disneyland (pre-DCA, pre-DTD) era, electric hand dryers were non-existent.

A few visits in the past, and I do know that Hungry Bear Restrooms and the Embarcadero Restrooms (heading into Paradise Pier from Golden State) has a few Dyson Airblades along with paper towel dispensers.

My question is when, IF they decide, to start going green and will they abandon the paper towels in favor for hand dryers? Of course, I don't expect them to give in so easily. I do understand it is probably a matter of cost and maintenance as well as rerouting the electrics to wire up to these new dryers ($$$) but I wonder if anyone else thinks that Disney may implement more green standards throughout the DLR and if it will help alleviate costs...
    Electric hand dryers are not all that sanitary or efficient in drying hands, and DL would use a lot more non-renewable energy.

I am amazed by the attitude and the suggestions that "greenies" insist that others do to save the planet, but not willing to actually apply to themselves.

Soothseyer,
    Have you followed your own suggestion and installed electric hand dryers that use renewable energy only (wind, solar, other) in your home? Do you only travel to Disneyland by public transportation or bicycle? I suggest that you Bicycle to Disneyland as I have done in the past. Extra bonus points if you have also followed through and no longer use toilet paper, to help save the forest.

Disney will continue to improve their efficency in recycling and using less fossel fuels. I will continue to do my part with reasonable solutions, recycled paper towels, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12