Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Disneyland and the Green Revolution: Will it happen anytime soon?

Ok, random thought and it's been on my mind for awhile.

Ever since I can remember visiting Disneyland (pre-DCA, pre-DTD) era, electric hand dryers were non-existent.

A few visits in the past, and I do know that Hungry Bear Restrooms and the Embarcadero Restrooms (heading into Paradise Pier from Golden State) has a few Dyson Airblades along with paper towel dispensers.

My question is when, IF they decide, to start going green and will they abandon the paper towels in favor for hand dryers? Of course, I don't expect them to give in so easily. I do understand it is probably a matter of cost and maintenance as well as rerouting the electrics to wire up to these new dryers ($$$) but I wonder if anyone else thinks that Disney may implement more green standards throughout the DLR and if it will help alleviate costs...

Re: Disneyland and the Green Revolution: Will it happen anytime soon?

When receiving my updated annual pass with the disney "D" logo on the back the cast member mentioned it was part of Disney's green initiative as it would now serve as my permanent pass and will not be replaced with a new card when I renew again. Not really sure how they would further implement green standards inside the park but it is interesting that it is at least being considered

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Going green=Big Business

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm not crazy about air hand dryers. They tend to be messy as compared to paper.

I've always wondered why they don't install waterless urinals though. Almost every mall I've been to has those now. I'm surprised DL hasn't made the switch to that yet.

• The doctor is in

The funniest thing about hand dryers in restrooms is if paper towels are available people almost never use the dryers. They take forever and hardly work. When I go into a restroom with no paper towels I usually just wipe the water on my pants and keep walking. It is just as effective.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Certified in everything

Here is someplace where I feel like Universal does better. I believe they sort and recycle all of the waste from their park, which is pretty impressive.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll even use the paper covers for the toilet seat as a paper towel if I have a choice between that and a hand dryer. I don't like putting my hands in there, after everyone else. It isn't really effective. The air is usually an uncomfortable temperature. I try to be "green" but not when it comes to my own hygiene.

• Minion

If you ever get to experience a back stage tour, TAKE IT. You will be AMAZED at their recycling abilities. It is my understanding that either 98% or 99.98% of everything at the park is recycled. It was absolutely amazing how much recycling was done. If you look on Goggle Earth, behind Festival Arena, on the otherside of the RR tracks, you will find Circle D. The building beside the horse arena is the recycling building JUST FOR Circle D. If I remember right, the building behind that handles the trash recycling.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Here is someplace where I feel like Universal does better. I believe they sort and recycle all of the waste from their park, which is pretty impressive.
    So does Disneyland. A couple of years ago, when staying at the resort, there was a segment about it on one of the hotel channels.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    So does Disneyland. A couple of years ago, when staying at the resort, there was a segment about it on one of the hotel channels.
    Did not know this, but good to hear!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Minion

The Dyson air blade hand dryers (or whatever they're called) are really good--if your hand fits without touching the sides. I'm not sure how well people wash their hands after using the restroom, so I wouldn't want to risk it. Fortunately for me, I can use the dryer with ease.

Another problem with getting rid of all paper towels is that if there's a spill on the ground or on your arm, face, etc., it's quite difficult to get the hand dryer to work.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    NBCUniversal company wide is great with the green initiative. On the Universal City property (including the theme park, studio and CityWalk) nearly everything that gets thrown away is sorted and some 70% of is diverted from landfills each year. Nearly all of the guest restrooms in the park and CityWalk have been retrofitted with motion sensor water faucets, waterless urinals, the Dyson hand dyers, etc.

Green is Universal

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by jacquemeetsworld View Post
    When receiving my updated annual pass with the disney "D" logo on the back the cast member mentioned it was part of Disney's green initiative as it would now serve as my permanent pass and will not be replaced with a new card when I renew again. Not really sure how they would further implement green standards inside the park but it is interesting that it is at least being considered
    I not sure how long that's going to last because at the end of the year my pass is so beat up that the new one is a blessing. I wonder if they will replace it once every year or two years free because I don't think mine will survive more than 2 years.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Senior Minion

Good luck with hand dryers on the germ front. While studies concluding that they're less sanitary than paper towels have been disputed, they still get no gold star:

A 2008-09 research paper produced by academics at the University of Westminster claimed forced air hand dryers increased the average number of bacteria on the finger pads and palms. It also stated that the Airblade device (a super high-speed hand dryer relatively new to the market) had proved capable of dispersing microbes over a distance of up to two meters via a test involving the placement of petri dishes containing agar at 25 cm intervals to catch the particles and incubation of same to reveal any bacterial growth. The [Airblade] manufacturer challenged those findings, pointing out the study had been funded by the European Tissue Symposium, calling the work "flawed and questionable."

...However, it is not the interaction of unwashed hands and hand dryers that is the concern (because, after all, no one is trying to dry unwashed hands, since they're not wet to begin with), but rather of poorly-washed hands. Precious few nasty microbes are dislodged by tap water alone: merely rinsing one's hands under running water and then drying them with a blower is doing little other than putting microbe-laden (albeit wet) hands in front of a wind generating machine.

...Paper towels offer a couple of advantages that electric hand dryers do not. Since their use is frictional (you rub your hands with them), the act of drying with them can aid in the removal of some bacteria. Also, given that the four most microbe-laden areas of public restrooms are the toilet, the floor around it, the counter area, and door and flush handles, using a paper towel on the door handle when exiting the restroom rather than handling it directly can keep one from coming into contact with one of microbial "hot spots" of such venues.

And from another source:

It might be better to not wash your hands than using a hand dryer to dry them. According to a study hand dryers are unhygienic and moisture left after partially drying your hands with an electric dryer makes the spread of bacteria more likely. Researchers also concluded paper towels were the most effective means of reducing the risk of infection after washing.

The study was carried out by researchers from the University of Bradford and the Microbiology Department of Dyson Limited. It was published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology....
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-04-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I remember Disney posted this last year:

Also:

And Another:

And even farther back:

I guess I been watching to much Disney Propaganda.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast