Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The great Red Car conspiracy of Los Angeles: Is it real?

I do read the Mass Transit thread. I just haven't had anything to offer lately. Thank you for keeping it up to date.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Glad to hear that, I sometimes wonder if anyone else enjoys this topic as much as me and the handful of posters who chime in.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I am 44 and while I do not remember the red car, I do remember remnants of the old track in certain areas growing up. My uncle had a beach house in Suset Beach and I remember the parking area to the public beach was all sand, with the abandoned tracks going right down the middle of it. The area was paved over to make a parking lot probably in the mid to late 70s, but I do remember playing on those tracks (and not having to worry since there was no trains on it anymore).

And I had heard that Huntington Beach used to be called Pacific City, but they changed the name to Huntington Beach to thank Henry Huntington for building the Red Car line to their city.

• New Member Goes Forth

I think they had cmpetition from the motor cares
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

It comes down to the fact that public transportation is never profitable, and once cars and freeways were around the model didn't work (plus you could have buses not stuck on a track).

It's a bit weird that now congestion makes us think it would have been better to keep... but back then it wouldn't of survived financially.

• Chief Troublemaker

Kinda OT but a cute story:

My mother (now 90) used to speak fondly of the Red Cars. We lived in a small town in the Inland Empire near Pomona and she used to talk about how she used to be able to ride them to LA, to the beaches (usually Newport) and to Long Beach to see family. She said they were the best & easiest way to get around. Dad (now deceased) would agree & remind her that she used to ride the Red Car to her sister's house and my aunt would always ask my dad (who lived next door) to drive her home instead of her having to ride the cars home alone after dark. My dad (being a gentleman) would always do so. What dad didn't know at the time was that it was all a big conspiracy by my aunt to get my dad interested in my mom (Mom always disavows knowledge of this plot). It obviously worked & they were married 52 years until Dad's death. It was known as their 'Red Car Romance'.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Blew By You

We're the rare metropoltian area without a public transit system. Whatever the reason for dismantling the rail system, the replacement was terrible for Los Angeles.
    However, I'm appreciative that there is a resurgence of rail construction and that I can visit the Orange Empire Rail Museum to visit and sit in a streetcar of yesteryear to relive the memories.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

My mother (now 90) used to speak fondly of the Red Cars. We lived in a small town in the Inland Empire near Pomona and she used to talk about how she used to be able to ride them to LA, to the beaches (usually Newport) and to Long Beach to see family. She said they were the best & easiest way to get around. Dad (now deceased) would agree & remind her that she used to ride the Red Car to her sister's house and my aunt would always ask my dad (who lived next door) to drive her home instead of her having to ride the cars home alone after dark. My dad (being a gentleman) would always do so. What dad didn't know at the time was that it was all a big conspiracy by my aunt to get my dad interested in my mom (Mom always disavows knowledge of this plot). It obviously worked & they were married 52 years until Dad's death. It was known as their 'Red Car Romance'.
    No, this is definitely ON TOPIC and a terrific story - thank you for sharing it with us.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    We're the rare metropoltian area without a public transit system. Whatever the reason for dismantling the rail system, the replacement was terrible for Los Angeles...
    Santa Clarita has Metrolink. I use Metro Rail (the Red Line) to commute to work with my bike. We take it downtown when we need to go there. For some people it works, as the system expands, it will take you more places and it will be stronger than just the sum of it's parts.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I'm appreciative that there is a resurgence of rail construction and that I can visit the Orange Empire Rail Museum to visit and sit in a streetcar of yesteryear to relive the memories.
    Port of LA Waterfront Red Car Line San Pedro, CA

Isn't this a lot more fun?

Or DCA's trolleys?

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    No, this is definitely ON TOPIC and a terrific story - thank you for sharing it with us.
    Thanks! It's one of the reasons that I would love to be able to take Mom to DCA, just to be able to see the trolly. She is memory- & cognition-impaired & it's just not possible now. But I did take a picture of it on our Sept trip (we were 1st in line & I was able to get a good picture thru the gates of the trolly sitting by itself on BVS before the park opened) and showed it to her. I'm not sure if she understood that it was at Disney or if she thought it was a 'real' Red Car (again, memory & cognition issues) but she got real happy and she again told the story of the 'Red Car Romance'. I guess if you can't get to the Disney Magic, the Disney Magic will come to you, one way or another!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thanks to the "Red Car Romance" we have Stormy on the boards today, gotta love how that happened! Sorry she's having health issues but her story puts a smile on my face, and I am really glad you shared this with us.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I remember when this episode of 99% Invisible came out a couple of months ago. Like they say, there was a conspiracy but not the one people think. Even National City Lines was trying to rig the game, but not the one people think. The street car systems across the country were already converting to trolley buses and buses. National City Lines wanted those conversions to use their owners' equipment. The buses were coming regardless of the National City Lines.

There was also a shift to far greater government support of roads. Most of the streetcar systems were private companies and in many places they had to pay to pave the road in exchange for operating in the public right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I wonder which streets in Anaheim had trolley tracks, and when they went away. I don't think anybody arrived at Disneyland in the 50's via Red Cars, but if I'm wrong, let me know.
    No getting to Dsneyland via the Red Car. A little odd that a giant model railroad could only be reached by highway.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

Absolutely adorable.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I wish we still had the redcar! it is strange to think that people 70 years ago had a more effective system of transportation than we have now....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast